Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Is this right re :child benefit, house grant, etc

Is this right re :child benefit, house grant, etc

Old Jul 18th 2005, 3:49 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is this right re :child benefit, house grant, etc

Originally Posted by bex 66
[

Thankyou so much for that information, I didn't know that that existed.

Is it frowned upon for expats to take this grant up ?????
No it isn't, it's just that some people get stroppy with people asking question about what benefits they can get before they have even arrived. Probably because they didn't think of asking it themselves or can't get the benefits for whatever reason.

Personally, I think you might as well have all the info, you may not claim for anything at all but if things don't pan out as you thought they would and you are entitled to something then you have a right to it.

It's a bit like the Daily Mail complaining about immigrants to the UK claiming every benefit going - get blood going but not the fault of the claimant.
Old Jul 18th 2005, 10:59 pm
Forum Regular

jskogsta has a spectacular aura aboutjskogsta has a spectacular aura aboutjskogsta has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by hevs
Yep, thats right

The child benifit is means tested and availiable if you earn under a hundred grand. It comes down the higher you earn.

The HBG is avaliable to all. Be prepared that some people on here will try to make you feel bad about it
I had a chat with Centrelink the other day and they informed me too that if you were a 1-income family, you could be entitled to some extra support. I've lodged the forms and waiting for feedback as I have no idea as to what it actually is.

.. and I was also informed by our child care facility that a %-discount could be available pending Centerlink assessment of family (income?) status. We're waiting for feedback on that as well. Would come in handy as 55 AUD a day is quite a lot when you're using 5-days a week of it. We opted for that simply to integrate our 3-year old girl as fast as possible. Get her to understand and speak english as she is Norwegian.

Oh well! Good luck, once you get here though.

And don't worry about the neigh-sayers: we're all paying taxes and I have no problems with bad consience over using the available services. After all; that's what they are here for.

Have a nice one!

/Jørgen
Old Jul 18th 2005, 11:13 pm
ABCDiamond

It is by some people, (mainly Australians), but only once they realise what is happening, and the reason is quite logical, but the cause is the way the whole thing is set up.

Two example situations:

1: You sell your house in the UK and move to QLD - You Can get the grant.
2: You sell your house in Perth and you move to QLD - you Cannot get the grant.

Then there are the "official Rules"

The federal website states: "To qualify for assistance, neither the applicant nor their spouse (or de facto) must have owned a home " and this does NOT specify "in Australia"

However, the individual State rules do specify: "You or your spouse must not have previously owned an interest in residential property in Australia "

Someone recently suggested it should be simply: "If you have never had the grant before, then you are entitled to it, no matter where you move from."

Old Jul 18th 2005, 11:16 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by jskogsta
I had a chat with Centrelink the other day and they informed me too that if you were a 1-income family, you could be entitled to some extra support. I've lodged the forms and waiting for feedback as I have no idea as to what it actually is.
That will be the Family Tax Benefit Part B - for single income families or sole parents. http://www.centrelink.gov.au/interne...ents/ftb_b.htm

Old Sep 12th 2005, 3:37 pm
Drifting back to earth

wavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
The broad principles of the grant are:

Eligible applicants from 1 July 2000 are entitled to a one-off $7,000 payment.
Hi, Do you know whether they have now stopped the additional $7k grant when you build a home?
Old Sep 12th 2005, 11:17 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by wavy_davy
Hi, Do you know whether they have now stopped the additional $7k grant when you build a home?
The EXTRA $7,000 that made it up to $14,000 has been discontinued.

The Federal grant is now ony $7,000 maximum.

Old Sep 12th 2005, 11:17 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by wavy_davy

Old Sep 13th 2005, 3:05 am
Ping Pong Wannabe

banjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud of

[

we bought a house over twelve months ago....just after the grant came in. There were no problems and we also raised the fact that we had owned property overseas. It wasn't a problem for them.....so if anyone one here or anywhere else wants to frown upon it - let them frown away! We pay our taxes same as anyone else......
Old Sep 13th 2005, 3:06 am
happy to be here!

nightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond repute

We have just bought a house and are on a temp visa.
Can someone tell me if we were to get PR and move house would we then be entitled to the grant?

Thanks, Tracey
Old Sep 13th 2005, 3:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tracey brien
We have just bought a house and are on a temp visa.
Can someone tell me if we were to get PR and move house would we then be entitled to the grant?

Thanks, Tracey
Sorry, no, you're only entitled to the grant for the first home purcase in Australia.

Cheers,
Mrs JTL

Last edited by JackTheLad; Sep 13th 2005 at 3:42 am.
Old Sep 13th 2005, 3:50 am
JWW
Forum Regular

JWW will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by banjo
we bought a house over twelve months ago....just after the grant came in. There were no problems and we also raised the fact that we had owned property overseas. It wasn't a problem for them.....so if anyone one here or anywhere else wants to frown upon it - let them frown away! We pay our taxes same as anyone else......
All it does is offset some of the $14,000 you end up paying in stamp duty tax when you buy the house.
Old Sep 13th 2005, 3:56 am
BE Enthusiast

Tass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to behold
Talking Re: Is this right re :child benefit, house grant, etc

.....and unless you have 20 % or more of the property value to put down , the majority of your $7000 will be eaten up by paying for your mortgage lenders insurance.
Old Sep 13th 2005, 6:13 am
Drifting back to earth

wavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond

Thank you very much!
Old Sep 13th 2005, 10:48 am
Sydney- North Shore

jjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant future

[

stuff what anyone else thinks we have just got our $7000....

they get their share back in stamp duty!