Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

a right funny read

a right funny read

Old Jan 26th 2004, 6:37 pm
Forum Regular

elbow is an unknown quantity at this point
Default a right funny read

one of the the funniest books i have ever read is "he died with a fellafel in his hand" by John Birmingham. It is all about true stories of Australian house/flat sharing hell. Not only did i laugh, i also winced in painful re-collection at some of the stories! There is also a good follow up called "The Tasmanian Babes Fiasco". Check em out!
Old Jan 26th 2004, 6:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sandy.l is on a distinguished road

It's not funny but if you're talking about good australian reads then I'd recommend 'A Fortunate Life' by AB Facey.

A classic of the highest degree about an Australian man's journey through life.

I found a proper review on another website so that saves me trying to explain it!:

This is an extraordinary life of an extraordinary man. It is the story of Albert Facey, who lived with simple honesty, compassion and courage. A parentless boy who started work when he was eight. He struggled as an itinerant rural worker, survived the gore of Gallipoli, the loss of his farm in the depression, the death of his son in World War II and that of his beloved wife after sixty devoted years – yet he felt his life was still fortunate

If you haven't read it it's an absolute must, you'll be able to face anything in Australia after reading it, it is such an inspiring story.

sandy
Old Jan 26th 2004, 6:55 pm
Kiwified member

Pollster will become famous soon enoughPollster will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by Sandy.l
It's not funny but if you're talking about good australian reads then I'd recommend 'A Fortunate Life' by AB Facey.

A classic of the highest degree about an Australian man's journey through life.

I found a proper review on another website so that saves me trying to explain it!:

This is an extraordinary life of an extraordinary man. It is the story of Albert Facey, who lived with simple honesty, compassion and courage. A parentless boy who started work when he was eight. He struggled as an itinerant rural worker, survived the gore of Gallipoli, the loss of his farm in the depression, the death of his son in World War II and that of his beloved wife after sixty devoted years – yet he felt his life was still fortunate

If you haven't read it it's an absolute must, you'll be able to face anything in Australia after reading it, it is such an inspiring story.

sandy
I can vouch for that - a great book and quite a humbling read for your average whinging pom, I would say!
Old Jan 26th 2004, 6:56 pm
True Blue Aussie

gavo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: a right funny read

Originally posted by elbow
one of the the funniest books i have ever read is "he died with a fellafel in his hand" by John Birmingham. It is all about true stories of Australian house/flat sharing hell. Not only did i laugh, i also winced in painful re-collection at some of the stories! There is also a good follow up called "The Tasmanian Babes Fiasco". Check em out!

Its actually a movie as well!