Is this right?

Old Nov 16th 2007, 6:38 pm
Just Joined

KatieJay is a jewel in the roughKatieJay is a jewel in the roughKatieJay is a jewel in the roughKatieJay is a jewel in the roughKatieJay is a jewel in the rough
Default Is this right?

Today I spoke to someone in our town that has also decided to emigrate to oz. They said that they thought you had to pay 20% tax on all capital that you took with you after sale of house etc???
Old Nov 16th 2007, 6:46 pm
Ping pong PoM

alipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is this right?

Nope, not right at all!
You only have to pay tax on your money once... and the proceeds from your house are yours to buy another house...

I"m sure somebody with more knowledge will contribute soon, but you may be better off posting this on the Australia thread!

Ali x
Old Nov 16th 2007, 6:53 pm
Just Joined

KatieJay is a jewel in the roughKatieJay is a jewel in the roughKatieJay is a jewel in the roughKatieJay is a jewel in the roughKatieJay is a jewel in the rough

Thanks

Thought it was a silly question. Wont panic now, mabe they mixed up with the tax on pensions.
Old Nov 16th 2007, 8:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Reedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by KatieJay
Today I spoke to someone in our town that has also decided to emigrate to oz. They said that they thought you had to pay 20% tax on all capital that you took with you after sale of house etc???
You do have to pay capital gains if you have used a house as a business e.g for letting.

Lau x
Old Nov 16th 2007, 8:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

TMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by KatieJay
http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/MoneyTax...ome/DG_4016337

Good site to look at