Ride-on mowers

Old Sep 13th 2006, 2:11 am
BE Enthusiast

flip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud of
Default Ride-on mowers

Moved home a little while ago to an acre block (sloping land with lots of gum trees and therefore dropped twigs of various sizes). The shops have been helpful and occasionally contradictory depending on what they have in stock. Can any locals recommend a good ride-on?
Old Sep 13th 2006, 2:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ride-on mowers

Originally Posted by flip
Moved home a little while ago to an acre block (sloping land with lots of gum trees and therefore dropped twigs of various sizes). The shops have been helpful and occasionally contradictory depending on what they have in stock. Can any locals recommend a good ride-on?
All I know is that I am still waiting for one to come on to the second hand market (almost as a get rid) at the right place, even if it is in poor (read working) nick.

Expensive things. I am budgeting about 700-1000 bucks though. Saw one at the weekend for 1200, with tiller, but I don't want a tiller and he won't sell without.
Old Sep 13th 2006, 2:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Do a search on "acerage" and "ride on mowers", when we were looking for acerage, there were a couple of threads on it. We ended up buying a new one due to the trouble and bills associated with the second hand ones, its definately a case of how much you pay tho, our acerage is flat and easy to mow but the more features/power up goes the price.
Old Sep 13th 2006, 3:12 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

We've got a Tecumseh which is pretty good - got it because we knew the make and reliability. We are on quite a slope and they just filled the rear tyres with water for balance. Hubby very happy with his baby Can't remember how much - a couple of grand I think but we got a couple of hundred off at the last minute because the shop failed to deliver on the day they said they would - they were 24 hours late. I was hoping they would make it a fortnight and give it to us
Old Sep 13th 2006, 3:39 am
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

Esmeralda on a mate's John Deere.
Attached Thumbnails Ride-on mowers-tractor-1.jpg   Ride-on mowers-tractor-2.jpg  
Old Sep 13th 2006, 3:40 am
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by thatsnotquiteright
All I know is that I am still waiting for one to come on to the second hand market (almost as a get rid) at the right place, even if it is in poor (read working) nick.

Expensive things. I am budgeting about 700-1000 bucks though. Saw one at the weekend for 1200, with tiller, but I don't want a tiller and he won't sell without.
Sell the tiller!!
Old Sep 13th 2006, 4:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Bloke
Sell the tiller!!
I know I know. It's almost more trouble than its worth. Or is it. I might call and see if its still for sale at the weekend and then haggle him down.

I don't mind playing with mechanicals.

B
Old Sep 13th 2006, 5:00 am
BE Enthusiast

flip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud of

Hi again.

The ones which have been recommended by the shops are Toro, Deere and Huqsvarna? As they all sell different makes it's really hard to identify which will suit our land best and which is the best value for money.

I know Deere have an excellent reputation and your pic is really pretty (and your relationship with Esmerelda is?).

Interested in the Tecumseh as I hadn't even heard of that one.

Even after a year, still so many things to find out over here.

Thanks for the help so far.
Old Sep 13th 2006, 5:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by The Bloke
Esmeralda on a mate's John Deere.
Cresta?
Old Sep 13th 2006, 8:00 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Look into Simplicity. They are one of the biggest players in the US, are well built and about 2/3rds the cost of John Deere. We are getting one - the Javelin - when we eventually get into our new place.
Old Sep 13th 2006, 10:11 am
Forum Regular

avroncotton is just really niceavroncotton is just really niceavroncotton is just really niceavroncotton is just really niceavroncotton is just really niceavroncotton is just really niceavroncotton is just really niceavroncotton is just really niceavroncotton is just really niceavroncotton is just really niceavroncotton is just really nice

If you're on a slope make sure you go for a powerful engine because if you are going uphill and the grass is a bit long/thick then with an engine of say 13 hp, it will stall. You will curse yourself for not getting that17 hp model!

Tony with the 13 hp mower!
Old Sep 13th 2006, 10:32 am
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by thatsnotquiteright

Is it a 4wd Kubota?.......if it is ,and in good nic i,ll chuck the car trailer on and drive to melb and pick it up for that price............. mm
Old Sep 13th 2006, 10:43 am
BE Enthusiast

Santa is a splendid one to beholdSanta is a splendid one to beholdSanta is a splendid one to beholdSanta is a splendid one to beholdSanta is a splendid one to beholdSanta is a splendid one to beholdSanta is a splendid one to beholdSanta is a splendid one to beholdSanta is a splendid one to beholdSanta is a splendid one to beholdSanta is a splendid one to behold

I'm a mowing contractor and have a Toro 38 inch with a 17hp engine, cost about $3700 I think. You can get a little plastic attachment that re-cuts the grass very finely rather than spreading it all over the place, that costs around $100.
Old Sep 13th 2006, 11:46 am
Banned

232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute

Hi again.

The ones which have been recommended by the shops are Toro, Deere and Huqsvarna? As they all sell different makes it's really hard to identify which will suit our land best and which is the best value for money.

I know Deere have an excellent reputation and your pic is really pretty (and your relationship with Esmerelda is?).

Interested in the Tecumseh as I hadn't even heard of that one.

Even after a year, still so many things to find out over here.

Thanks for the help so far.
It's my Deere in the pic - GX335, 20HP air cooled, 54" deck. Cuts our sloping block (just over 2 acres) with ease, has dif lock for the odd tricky moment. Not cheap but IMO, it's the dogs nuts

Last edited by 232Bar; Sep 13th 2006 at 12:03 pm.
Old Sep 13th 2006, 12:05 pm
Banned

232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wol
Look into Simplicity. They are one of the biggest players in the US, are well built and about 2/3rds the cost of John Deere. We are getting one - the Javelin - when we eventually get into our new place.
Yeah, but you get a nice key ring and a trailer with the Deere

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.