Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Richmond, Windsor, Penrhith, Bligh Park etc. any information please!

Richmond, Windsor, Penrhith, Bligh Park etc. any information please!

Old May 1st 2005, 5:49 pm
CMT
Forum Regular

CMT is on a distinguished road
Default Richmond, Windsor, Penrhith, Bligh Park etc. any information please!

Hi we are in the process of applying for our visa and would have to be based more than likely at one of the above areas - I am well aware that they are a fair way from beaches etc. cold in Winter and v warm in the Summer. I just wanted any relevant/additional information if anyone has any on the areas? I would be moving from the UK to there with my husband and two children, one aged 3 and the other 1. My main reason would be to bring my children up in a better area and give them more opportunities that they would have here in the UK, for instance I have been told that they offer loads of sports etc. at school and that there are lots of parks and the outdoor life would be that much more than they get here.

thanks.
Old May 2nd 2005, 10:10 am
OZ in Sep -HOme at last

macnet1 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Richmond, Windsor, Penrhith, Bligh Park etc. any information please!

Hi there my Brotehr in Law lived in Windsor for many many years and I also lived there a short while in 2001. Also my other brother in Law lived in Bligh Park. Bligh park is the best area by far in respect of ex pats, schools, sports facilities etc. Whe areas you list are also near Penrith whcih is a great town for shopping etc. Transport to sydney from those areas are good as well.
Does get a little chilly in the winter (frost ont he windscreen - cold at night ) but thats about it. When we move back were thinking of buying in Bligh park as this is still cheap and good housing for the location, compared to other areas.

let me know if you wnat any further info.

Cheers
MAC

Originally Posted by CMT
Hi we are in the process of applying for our visa and would have to be based more than likely at one of the above areas - I am well aware that they are a fair way from beaches etc. cold in Winter and v warm in the Summer. I just wanted any relevant/additional information if anyone has any on the areas? I would be moving from the UK to there with my husband and two children, one aged 3 and the other 1. My main reason would be to bring my children up in a better area and give them more opportunities that they would have here in the UK, for instance I have been told that they offer loads of sports etc. at school and that there are lots of parks and the outdoor life would be that much more than they get here.

thanks.
Old May 2nd 2005, 10:30 am
CMT
Forum Regular

Default Re: Richmond, Windsor, Penrhith, Bligh Park etc. any information please!

Originally Posted by macnet1
Hi there my Brotehr in Law lived in Windsor for many many years and I also lived there a short while in 2001. Also my other brother in Law lived in Bligh Park. Bligh park is the best area by far in respect of ex pats, schools, sports facilities etc. Whe areas you list are also near Penrith whcih is a great town for shopping etc. Transport to sydney from those areas are good as well.
Does get a little chilly in the winter (frost ont he windscreen - cold at night ) but thats about it. When we move back were thinking of buying in Bligh park as this is still cheap and good housing for the location, compared to other areas.

let me know if you wnat any further info.

Cheers
MAC
Thanks so much - we are in a position where back here in the UK my husband actually earns a good salary around £30k and I work part time and earn £13k. He has been offered a post which I believe starts at around £18k, that will be it unless he gets promoted, which there's no reason why he shouldn't. Only thing is we would be leaving a reasonably comfortable life here in the UK in the hope that the outdoor life etc. would be worth it for the kids to be brought up. Would you agree? The fact is we would be more than halfing our income and due to the fact I have 2 young kids I probably couldn't look into working for the first two years - at the moment that isn't a problem as my husband has started a new job and was able to take voluntary redundancy where he worked previously which would easily help us through the first few years until I could work - Just want to know if people think it's worth the move - I know no one can say how we'll feel etc. but the kids are my priority!!

Thanks!
Old May 2nd 2005, 10:50 am
OZ in Sep -HOme at last

macnet1 will become famous soon enough

Hi, Yes it's a fantastic place for the Kids - the outdoor life sports recreation etc is brilliant. Our kids made friends almost as soon as they arrived - school's etc. The fact that you get a lot more for your money there does help but you need to watch how you spend your money. The money is strange in respect you don’t really think of the value and we found that we kept converting to UK pounds even though we lived there...don’t do it if you can.

The wage you state is about average for folk..but remember schools can cost a bit, as well as your transport costs. If you have a good bank balance before you go over then be very very careful with it. We found it very easy to spend lots of money and latter regretted it....we should have been more frugal.

One other point and this is were I say please please give the place a chance, we were told when we first arrived that it would take us between 6 month to a year before we would not be home sick or make friends and this is very, very true. You should try and meet folk...be it school meetings, sports social occasions etc. as soon as you get there. You will WILL - miss family and friends and things from the UK. We left to come back here as our daughter passed away and I was only on a temp visa, as soon as we come back we wanted to be back in oz...so its taken 2 years to get our PR visa and to be honest I would be there tomorrow. So hope to be back there soon.

Australia is a great place to live and the folk are great...it's just a better, better life in total. Fresh fruit and veg cost pennies ! thats what you want your kids to have, fresh stuff- not much frozen stuff in the supermarkets.

The places you listed are also next to the Blue mountains and there a great place to spend time in..as well as many many other places.

Please keep in touch and let me know how you get on.

We have a web site called http://www.scotsinoz.hopto.org were you can speak to us any time. IM the Admin on the site so keep in touch and when your going let me know and I'll try and put you in touch with a few folk in that area.

Im blethering on here but go for it kid !

Cheers
Mac
Originally Posted by CMT
Thanks so much - we are in a position where back here in the UK my husband actually earns a good salary around £30k and I work part time and earn £13k. He has been offered a post which I believe starts at around £18k, that will be it unless he gets promoted, which there's no reason why he shouldn't. Only thing is we would be leaving a reasonably comfortable life here in the UK in the hope that the outdoor life etc. would be worth it for the kids to be brought up. Would you agree? The fact is we would be more than halfing our income and due to the fact I have 2 young kids I probably couldn't look into working for the first two years - at the moment that isn't a problem as my husband has started a new job and was able to take voluntary redundancy where he worked previously which would easily help us through the first few years until I could work - Just want to know if people think it's worth the move - I know no one can say how we'll feel etc. but the kids are my priority!!

Thanks!
Old May 2nd 2005, 11:11 am
CMT
Forum Regular

Thank you so much for this info, so sorry about your daughter can't imagine how that must be. Think you've convinced me, we do want it and are actually in the visa process but I just want to be semi sure that what we are giving up here (financially) will be worth it there in other ways! My husband managed to get a 20k pay off tax free, so I think that will sort of be my wage for the first couple of years. It's just risk and the unknown but it will always be, I think if we don't it'll always be something that'll bother us! My husband has been offered the position by Qantas who are based in Richmond. They are sorting all our TR out for the family, and are prepared to ship our furniture out and pay for our accommodation for the first month and also give a family $100 per day (don't know how good that is) to live on for the first month only - to me I think opportunities like this only come once in a lifetime and we'll probably never get the chance again. We are both young - Well I'm 28 ( I consider this young!) and kids are 1 and 3, young enough to make a life out there anyway. Our house is on the market here anyway, and although we probably wouldn't buy for at least a year we have around £100k equity which I hope would be enough for us to be able to affrd a decent property with a managable mortgage! There is plenty of overtime where my husband would work and there are also lots of our friends who work with my husband goin g- one couple already there! Qantas will sponsor us for PR as soon as we get there and have advised us to get the police checks done before we go. They will pay half the cost for PR.

Thanks so much
Old May 2nd 2005, 1:29 pm
On the Dark Side :-)

Mrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond repute

Great thread! This is the same job that my hubby is waiting to hear about so fingers crossed its gonna be relevant to us too!

Thanks for posting both!