Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Review of my experience with flying LDN-MEL with Singapore Airlines

Review of my experience with flying LDN-MEL with Singapore Airlines

Old Sep 3rd 2009, 8:08 pm
can't lose the tie

mecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to all
Default Re: Review of my experience with flying LDN-MEL with Singapore Airlines

Congratulations and enjoy Melbourne. On getting out of the airport and noticing the weather, you probably thought that you had never left the UK.
Old Sep 3rd 2009, 9:32 pm
CDM
BE Enthusiast

CDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by mecheng
Congratulations and enjoy Melbourne. On getting out of the airport and noticing the weather, you probably thought that you had never left the UK.
Well, it was late after all

Actually, this week has been great. It's been hovering around 20 degrees and mostly sunny with clear skies - shorts and T-shirts weather (although none of the locals seem to think so). If this is spring weather, then I'm happy we made the right choice Roll-on Summer

- CDM
Old Sep 4th 2009, 12:26 am
BE Forum Addict

johnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of light

Great post, thanks for taking the time to share.
Karma given................

Johnnyyt
Old Sep 4th 2009, 2:51 am
BE Enthusiast

Wishwewerethere is just really niceWishwewerethere is just really niceWishwewerethere is just really niceWishwewerethere is just really niceWishwewerethere is just really niceWishwewerethere is just really niceWishwewerethere is just really niceWishwewerethere is just really niceWishwewerethere is just really niceWishwewerethere is just really nice

Are you still waiting for your 475 visa Johnnyyt?
Just like to say, good luck and hope the waitings over soon.
Still, nice time to come, now that spring is here.
WWWT

And I would just like to recommend Singapore to anyone about to book flights they were marvolous with the children and didn't disturb us when the kids had a problem and we told them in advance that they were both celebrating their birthdays on the days we were flying and they said they would provide a cake each at no extra cost and indeed the crew sung them happy birthday as well and of course they double your baggage allowance if you tell them you are emigrating.Cheaper than BA and Quantas.
We flew on the A380 all the way, and take off, flying and landing were all very smooth.
Old Sep 6th 2009, 12:39 am
BE Forum Addict

johnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Wishwewerethere
Are you still waiting for your 475 visa Johnnyyt?
Just like to say, good luck and hope the waitings over soon.
Still, nice time to come, now that spring is here.
WWWT

And I would just like to recommend Singapore to anyone about to book flights they were marvolous with the children and didn't disturb us when the kids had a problem and we told them in advance that they were both celebrating their birthdays on the days we were flying and they said they would provide a cake each at no extra cost and indeed the crew sung them happy birthday as well and of course they double your baggage allowance if you tell them you are emigrating.Cheaper than BA and Quantas.
We flew on the A380 all the way, and take off, flying and landing were all very smooth.
Yes we still are waiting for our visa's.
We have just had our meds done and I will do police checks this weekeknd. Just have to add new baby to visa application and then wait for decision.

We have put our house on the market and have had 5 offers in the first hour of viewings, most at the high prices before the house market crash and 4 of them cash buyers with no chain.

Do we still qualify for the double baggage allowance on 475 visa's as they are classed as tempory?

Johnnyyt
Old Sep 6th 2009, 2:10 am
CDM
BE Enthusiast

CDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by johnnyyt
Do we still qualify for the double baggage allowance on 475 visa's as they are classed as tempory?

Johnnyyt
Unfortunately not - at least not with Singapore Airlines. It must be a visa for indefinate stay.

- CDM
Old Sep 6th 2009, 5:10 am
BE Enthusiast

Wishwewerethere is just really niceWishwewerethere is just really niceWishwewerethere is just really niceWishwewerethere is just really niceWishwewerethere is just really niceWishwewerethere is just really niceWishwewerethere is just really niceWishwewerethere is just really niceWishwewerethere is just really niceWishwewerethere is just really nice

Originally Posted by johnnyyt
Yes we still are waiting for our visa's.
We have just had our meds done and I will do police checks this weekeknd. Just have to add new baby to visa application and then wait for decision.

We have put our house on the market and have had 5 offers in the first hour of viewings, most at the high prices before the house market crash and 4 of them cash buyers with no chain.

Johnnyyt
Well, we did and we were on the 475 visa!
...and double allowance on the Virgin Blue flight, just tell them that you are emigrating at the time of booking and they will see you only have one way tickets.

Good luck.

Last edited by Wishwewerethere; Sep 6th 2009 at 5:15 am.
Old Sep 6th 2009, 10:44 am
BE Enthusiast

JCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud of

Hi cdm
I aint copying you,honest but have same flight plan/container lol

Just wanted to know how i confirm our baggage allowance?
cheers
Old Sep 6th 2009, 5:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

soulrebel will become famous soon enoughsoulrebel will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Janna and Nick
Thanks for the info..... I am swaying towards Singapore.... Although Emirates offer 50kg', I am not sure we need that much....

Per person?
Old Sep 6th 2009, 7:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

Janna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of light

Yeah, per person, but you have to used the UKMOVE1 code when booking on their website.

Old Sep 6th 2009, 9:40 pm
CDM
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JCSUPERMOTO
Hi cdm
I aint copying you,honest but have same flight plan/container lol

Just wanted to know how i confirm our baggage allowance?
cheers
As far as Singapore Airlines is concerned, it's a general policy of theirs. All that they require is that you present your unused, indefinate stay visa at the check-in desk. I called them on two separate occasions and this policy was confirmed both times.

Has your container already shipped? Who did you use?

- CDM
Old Sep 6th 2009, 9:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

itigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond repute

CDM my husband has just said to try Melbourne IT - they are an ISP apparently and he says they are always looking for Unix people. Hope this helps! Their career site is awful he says but you can use Seek too.

Also try Logica and Data3........
Old Sep 6th 2009, 10:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

JCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by CDM
As far as Singapore Airlines is concerned, it's a general policy of theirs. All that they require is that you present your unused, indefinate stay visa at the check-in desk. I called them on two separate occasions and this policy was confirmed both times.

Has your container already shipped? Who did you use?

- CDM
Cheers
Eurousa containers!?
A nick baker,i emailed him back to say "yes" so just awaiting the reply!
Old Sep 6th 2009, 11:06 pm
CDM
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JCSUPERMOTO
Cheers
Eurousa containers!?
A nick baker,i emailed him back to say "yes" so just awaiting the reply!
That's the same people I used and I also dealt with Nick. He's pretty good at getting back to you and seemed quite knowledgeable. After you've bought and paid for everything, he hands off to another guy called Colin who handles the actual arrangements. Colin is a bit less puntual with getting back to me. Did you get in touch with them following a post from me on here or was that just a coincidence?

The container arrived as promised but half an hour late. Colin called in the morning to let me know this so it wasn't a surprise. Apparently, the container was late being unloaded from the previous job or something. The driver was very good. As I'd been ruthlessly efficient at getting everything packed ahead of time, and because there were 6 pairs of hands on the day loading, we managed to get the container fully loaded and in it's way in under 3 hours.

I've been given the details of the removal company on this end (Ron Wilson Removals) and they are not far from where I am so I'll pop into their offices this week and chat about the arrangements. I'm hoping they will agree to deliver everything to one destination but to drop off our piano at another destination not far away. I pre-paid a piano handling fee but we'll see if they'll accommodate the double destination drop-off request.

Good luck with everything and let me know if you have any other questions.

Where in Melbourne are you heading for? Perhaps we can meet up and swap notes when you get here.

- CDM
Old Sep 7th 2009, 6:48 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by CDM
That's the same people I used and I also dealt with Nick. He's pretty good at getting back to you and seemed quite knowledgeable. After you've bought and paid for everything, he hands off to another guy called Colin who handles the actual arrangements. Colin is a bit less puntual with getting back to me. Did you get in touch with them following a post from me on here or was that just a coincidence?

The container arrived as promised but half an hour late. Colin called in the morning to let me know this so it wasn't a surprise. Apparently, the container was late being unloaded from the previous job or something. The driver was very good. As I'd been ruthlessly efficient at getting everything packed ahead of time, and because there were 6 pairs of hands on the day loading, we managed to get the container fully loaded and in it's way in under 3 hours.

I've been given the details of the removal company on this end (Ron Wilson Removals) and they are not far from where I am so I'll pop into their offices this week and chat about the arrangements. I'm hoping they will agree to deliver everything to one destination but to drop off our piano at another destination not far away. I pre-paid a piano handling fee but we'll see if they'll accommodate the double destination drop-off request.

Good luck with everything and let me know if you have any other questions.

Where in Melbourne are you heading for? Perhaps we can meet up and swap notes when you get here.

- CDM

Hi cdm

I contacted them after i seen your plan of attack
Getting a 3 week holiday let in carrum methinks,but that is yet set in stone!

Yeah a meet up would be coolio

jase

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.