British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Returning to UK school from Aus (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/returning-uk-school-aus-850242/)

Hsteele Jan 7th 2015 7:46 pm

Returning to UK school from Aus

Hi. This is my first post. We are looking to move to Oz this year for a 4-5 year experience. Not ready yet to fully emigrate. I have 3 and a 5 year old who will in effect start school 18 months later in Oz than in UK. Does anyone have any experience of how this might affect them upon return to UK. Academically and socially? Would they be behind upon starting secondary school (year 7 in UK)? Thanks for your experiences.

brits1 Jan 8th 2015 7:09 am

Re: Returning to UK school from Aus

Hi,

Our two sons have returned to the UK after nearly 14 years in Aus, one went straight to University the other had to go to 6th form and study for some GCSE's and an Advance Btec, he is now in his 2nd year at Uni. Really if you do return and start High School before GCSE's then you should be fine just make sure you send them to the best schools you can as we certainly know our two sons even at such a young age were "in front" of their Aussies pupils. Good luck and hope all goes well for you

slackbloke Jan 10th 2015 10:12 pm

Originally Posted by Hsteele (Post 11525128)
Hi. This is my first post. We are looking to move to Oz this year for a 4-5 year experience. Not ready yet to fully emigrate. I have 3 and a 5 year old who will in effect start school 18 months later in Oz than in UK. Does anyone have any experience of how this might affect them upon return to UK. Academically and socially? Would they be behind upon starting secondary school (year 7 in UK)? Thanks for your experiences.

They can start just 3 months behind, the difference between starting in September and the following January. I have three children who have attended the same public primary school in Sydney which is at least as good as their primary in the UK (as with the UK I think standards can vary a lot). My eldest is now at a public high school which is behind the UK and he will probably struggle academically if we return.

quoll Jan 11th 2015 6:24 am

People who have returned with their kids to UK schools report generally that the schools have been brilliant at helping the kids catch up with their age peers and that the kids are thriving - if they're PS or early HS on return they'll be fine.

fromthetoon Jan 13th 2015 7:28 am

When we came to Ozz, my eldest daughter started Grade 1. She came home in tears after her first day because the book the teacher gave her was well below her capability and she felt that she was being treated like a baby. When my wife expressed her concern to the teacher, her reply was that my daughter was too advanced of the rest of the class; she needed to look at the pictures and just enjoy the book! Apparently, she was equivalent to a Grade 3 for reading!

We returned to the UK for a 6 week holiday last year and my daughter went to her old school for a day. Although she enjoyed seeing and being with her old friends, she said that the work was well ahead of what she was doing in Ozz. It's sad but she's gone back so much in 4 years and attends a very good (!) private school.

Being a teacher myself (hence the terrible grammar), in my opinion, the UK are years ahead of Australian education.

To answer your question. Coming over will be fine but returning will be a struggle for a while depending how clever your kids are.

brits1 Jan 16th 2015 7:39 am

Same thing happened with our two Sons when we arrived in Aus, teachers said at the time that when the boys finished High School they would of "aught up"with the UK, when we came back to live in some areas the boys were at the same levels but in others they were poles apart, saying that one has finished Uni here and the other son is in his 2nd year of Uni.

Geezer123 Jan 16th 2015 10:23 am

Schooling depends where you live...If you live in a good catchment area....you'll will be fine...if not you will suffer...

Comes down to $$$$

fromthetoon Jan 17th 2015 6:44 pm

It's not just the catchment area that makes the difference, as we're in a great area, lovely school with almost no discipline problems. However, the teachers are so far behind in the methodology of teaching. QLD are sooo far behind in general.
When I started my first teaching job in Brisbane, I was asked why I was still in school 30 minutes after the end of the last lesson; I was planning for the next day and I was the only one left (State school).
Private schools have a much better ethos and are similar to a good state school in the UK but if parents could see how their money is wasted in this sector, they'd probably remove their kids!!!
I would rather have my kids in a good state school, save the money and then give it to them when they leave school. $150k is a nice start in life. I just can't convince my wife because she is a 'Mrs Jones'!!!

renth Jan 19th 2015 2:01 am

Also if you go back when kids are older you have to live in the UK for 3 years before starting University otherwise you get charged as an overseas student and it's loads more.

Having said that I'm sure it's easy to game the system, it must be.

brits1 Jan 19th 2015 6:10 am

We read that information a lot on this forum while we were thinking of moving back to the UK we still went back after nearly 14 years in Aus and both our Sons were not classed as overseas students.

Amaike Jan 22nd 2015 2:55 am

That's interesting, how did you manage that?

And what was it like returning to UK after a long stint in Australia - did it take you long to settle in?