Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

returning to uk from oz

returning to uk from oz

Old May 6th 2003, 1:03 pm
Forum Regular

ellen1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default returning to uk from oz

i was warned against it, but no i just had to be nosy and have a look at the "reurning to uk" forum!

i was nearly in tears reading about some of the horror stories!, especialy the ones about the kids starting school in oz. i have 3 school age children, and they have lots of friends and doing well at school in UK, i couldn't bear to think about them going through such a horrible time with other kids and teachers!! i heard that australia can be be unforgiving towards us Brits, but is it really that bad??
cheers
ellen
Old May 6th 2003, 1:20 pm
Forum Regular

Slippers is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: returning to uk from oz

Originally posted by ellen1
i was warned against it, but no i just had to be nosy and have a look at the "reurning to uk" forum!

i was nearly in tears reading about some of the horror stories!, especialy the ones about the kids starting school in oz. i have 3 school age children, and they have lots of friends and doing well at school in UK, i couldn't bear to think about them going through such a horrible time with other kids and teachers!! i heard that australia can be be unforgiving towards us Brits, but is it really that bad??
cheers
ellen
Emigration is hard on everyone, kids included. Knowledge is always good and if you take everyone's opinion with a pinch of salt and try to assess if they are likely to be biased for or against, then you will probably find all you need to decide the best course. The people here who are yet to emigrate will often be a bit too "pro" cos that is what we are all like when embarking on something new that we have finally decided to do and the people on the returning to uk forum will probably be a bit too "anti" cos it didn't work for them. Is it not the case that kids find any excuse to be nasty to others if they are bully types and so the Pom type thing from Aussie kids will just be another form of that. They will almost certainly get it at some point though, don't you think? To be frank, for your particular kids, your guess will be as good as anyone else's, so don't expect an answer to this from anyone here. You will get my sort of reply - yes, it will probably happen - and you will get the opposite - "my kids have been in school here for 25 years and they have always had nothing but love and understanding from classmates and teachers alike". The last one is not that likely though is it? However, all answers will be equally useless to you, when you think about it, cos they say nothing about YOUR situation. It seems you will have to take a punt if you are determined to go. Course, if you ask me, your kids will have a much better future being schooled in the UK which is world renowned for the quality of its qualifications.

Slippers
Old May 6th 2003, 1:35 pm
Vee
BE Enthusiast

Vee is an unknown quantity at this point

I also looked at that section and it kinda scared me too! But I think you have to go with what your heart and your head tells you.

As for your kids...well I don't have any so maybe I'm not the best person to comment but oh well...I will anyways. Kids are going to have a hard time with anything new. There will always be nasty kids and nice kids no matter where you go. Who knows, your kids may go to a school where there are mainly nice kids who would look out for them. We all have to come across bad and nasty things in our life and you won't be able to shield your kids from those things forever. Why worry about something that hasn't even happened? Kids can usally adapt to most things.

Go for it....you may never get the chance again.
Old May 6th 2003, 3:42 pm
Forum Regular

Therese is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Elle1,

I also have kids and am wondering how it's going to be for them.

I have a friend in Sydney who emmigrated last October, she has

told me in her letters, how her daughter hated the school they

placed her in. However, with the help of the headmistress, they

looked for another school, which she finds really suits her much

better, her other kids have found great schools and they have

all settled down really well, making loads of friends. They have

found it better to join in as much as possible to enable them

to make friends. They are really enjoying life in OZ.
Old May 6th 2003, 4:00 pm
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

I have two children 10 and 13 - they loved school in the UK and they love school here. Yes I spent a lot of time choosing and we are now living in an a very expensive area (Sydney) so they can be near those schools (cause I hate commuting). YOU the parent are the support behind your child and their needs. If they were bullied in the UK for whatever reasons you would try your best to sort it and the same goes for you as parent where ever you take your children.

Oh and I also chose a school where over 40% of the intake of children are Foreigners (that includes my children and me), so being a pom is somewhat of a boring statement, also South Africans, Chinese, Asians etc - mostly stated but not absolutely as a nasty comment. I feel they are having an easier time than I did making the move in year 5/6 from Belfast to the mainland UK and being called dirty Irish! (We luckily moved back and I continued my education in the best standard of schools in world IMOP! ) - Pity Belfast didn't have more jobs for me and hubby cause that was first choice before AUS!

Cheers Sandra
Old May 6th 2003, 4:14 pm
Forum Regular

Slippers is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Sandra
I have two children 10 and 13 - they loved school in the UK and they love school here. Yes I spent a lot of time choosing and we are now living in an a very expensive area (Sydney) so they can be near those schools (cause I hate commuting). YOU the parent are the support behind your child and their needs. If they were bullied in the UK for whatever reasons you would try your best to sort it and the same goes for you as parent where ever you take your children.

Oh and I also chose a school where over 40% of the intake of children are Foreigners (that includes my children and me), so being a pom is somewhat of a boring statement, also South Africans, Chinese, Asians etc - mostly stated but not absolutely as a nasty comment. I feel they are having an easier time than I did making the move in year 5/6 from Belfast to the mainland UK and being called dirty Irish! (We luckily moved back and I continued my education in the best standard of schools in world IMOP! ) - Pity Belfast didn't have more jobs for me and hubby cause that was first choice before AUS!

Cheers Sandra

How have you found the Aussies attitude towards you and your husband Sandra? Any problems?

Slippers
Old May 6th 2003, 4:25 pm
ems
Forum Regular

ems is an unknown quantity at this point

I also have kids and am wondering about the school situation. I think its probably easier for younger kids they tend to accept each others differences more easily.

However you won't know till you try, you could have problems later on in the UK, kids can get picked on for all sorts of reasons. You're already aware that there may be problems and you can help them get through. The chances are they'll all do fine.
Old May 6th 2003, 4:48 pm
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Slippers
How have you found the Aussies attitude towards you and your husband Sandra? Any problems?

Slippers
They call me a pom in work (I got a transfer in a supposedly international company!!! and only about 50% of the people I work with are Aussies). I got the greatest laugh when one said I should have no worries about being a pom cause they were 3rd generation Wog....took me a while to work out they meant Southern European, eg Greece, Malta etc - he was so white! So much for my PC policy here!

On being called a Pom I told them to get the insult right - I am a Bog Arab!

Actually attitude seems to be everything with my husband and I - we get the 'crap' but manage to laugh.....

I can get down at times about 'being different' but as long as say Aus is great at least five times in the conversation and only scream and shout about thick aussies out of ear shot - I seem to be managing!!!!!!!!!!!

Seriously it can get you down, ONLY if you let it, Andy and I have contests to reiterate the greatest UK/POM putdown we have heard lately and then come up with great responses in private .

Actually I really believe the person you are helps....I am an immigrant here as well as when I lived in England, I treat people as I want to be treated ...hopefully I get that back?

Anyway still trying!

Cheers Sandra