Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Returning to UK to be a carer - advice please?

Returning to UK to be a carer - advice please?

Old Nov 10th 2018, 6:04 am
Forum Regular

red7 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Returning to UK to be a carer - advice please?

Hi all,

I was wondering if there are any UK Expats in Australia that returned to the UK to care for elderly/dying parents? This is my current situation and from what I can tell, I will not be eligible to apply for a carer's allowance, because I have not been living in the UK for the past 4 years.

This seems utterly backwards to me - not only would me caring for my parent reduce the amount of care they would need to receive from visiting nurses, but in order to make the trip over (and pay the $1,000 - ish travel costs to do so), I have to quit my job here in Australia, therefore severing my personal income. Yes, I could find a job over there but this is end-of-life care we are talking about - if I'm going out to work, I won't be at home to be a carer anyway!

Would be interested to know how others have approached this and if there is any help available? As I think it's quite ridiculous and hoping I'm just missing something obvious!
Old Nov 10th 2018, 3:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Returning to UK to be a carer - advice please?

I’m afraid I’m no help here as we are retired, live on our Aussie income, squat in my dad’s back bedroom. We take nothing from the UK system although people have told us, over the years, that we could appl6 for a carers allowance. If we hadn’t been financially independent and it was just me, I don’t know whether it would be feasible.

Looking at the website, residence is 2 years in the last 3 (not 4). I don’t know if there is a special agreement with Australia, might be worth asking.

Im sorry you find yourself in this position - in all honesty, it sux!
Old Nov 10th 2018, 10:47 pm
Forum Regular

red7 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Returning to UK to be a carer - advice please?

Originally Posted by quoll
I’m afraid I’m no help here as we are retired, live on our Aussie income, squat in my dad’s back bedroom. We take nothing from the UK system although people have told us, over the years, that we could appl6 for a carers allowance. If we hadn’t been financially independent and it was just me, I don’t know whether it would be feasible.

Looking at the website, residence is 2 years in the last 3 (not 4). I don’t know if there is a special agreement with Australia, might be worth asking.

Im sorry you find yourself in this position - in all honesty, it sux!
Thanks quoll. Sorry, I meant that I have been in Aus for 4 years (and therefore not 2 years in the last 3). I'm flying over in a week, so will have a chat with the nurses and call some helplines etc. I was just hoping I could save some time by asking people that have already done it. I've literally, in the last month, only just been granted my PR visa, so haven't been "Australian" long enough to have a nest egg or Super that I could draw from. It's OK, my Dad has enough monthly pension for us both to live on, in the short term, so I'll just have to ask around when I get back. Thanks for replying to my post!