British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Returning Melbourne after 7yrs (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/returning-melbourne-after-7yrs-913125/)

wiltshire_1 May 24th 2018 12:21 pm

Returning Melbourne after 7yrs

Hi all, we are moving back to Melbourne later this year and I'm looking for advice re best suburbs for families and schooling. We previously lived in Bundoora and my children, then 3 and 5 went to preschool and school in Greensborough. We liked the area but are also open to other suggestions. Our children are now almost 11 and 13 so access to good schools will be the deciding factor - along with the daily commute for my OH to work. I went back recently and was amazed at how many suburbs have changed and grown - Doreen, for example, was much much smaller than it is now!! We have looked online at rentals in Doreen and the surrounding area, but as OH will be working in the CBD, we're worried that the daily commute would be unrealistic. We are pretty familiar with Eltham, Greensborough, Diamond Creek and that general area and feel that being familiar would help us settle in again. But at the same time, we'd like to look at other possible areas in case we are missing out. We love Park Orchards but rentals seem to be few and far between!

Many thanks

sr71 May 29th 2018 1:45 am

Re: Returning Melbourne after 7yrs

Good luck, I did similar. I did similar after 10 years and hated it.

Greenborough was was a bit rough I thought, further in towards Ivanhoe is better. Or the South Eastern suburbs Glen Waverly, Caufield, Carnegie etc.

Pootle May 29th 2018 2:16 am

Hi, I would think somewhere along the Hurstbridge rail line would suit you as you are familiar with the area. You may need to look at school zones. I believe Eltham High School, St Helena College and Viewbank college are all good state schools but will have strict zones. There has been recent work upgrading the railway so hopefully more trains may be scheduled soon. It's a nice part of Melbourne to live, how long were you here before? It might be worth looking at the school zones then looking at rental prices within those zones to see what suits you. Viewbank isn't on the train line but is not far from Rosanna station (new station just built). Good luck with your move!

wiltshire_1 May 29th 2018 3:27 am

Originally Posted by sr71 (Post 12506811)
Good luck, I did similar. I did similar after 10 years and hated it.

Greenborough was was a bit rough I thought, further in towards Ivanhoe is better. Or the South Eastern suburbs Glen Waverly, Caufield, Carnegie etc.

Thanks. Do you mean you hated it second time around?? Did you hate it first time around...??

wiltshire_1 May 29th 2018 5:16 am

Originally Posted by Pootle (Post 12506817)
Hi, I would think somewhere along the Hurstbridge rail line would suit you as you are familiar with the area. You may need to look at school zones. I believe Eltham High School, St Helena College and Viewbank college are all good state schools but will have strict zones. There has been recent work upgrading the railway so hopefully more trains may be scheduled soon. It's a nice part of Melbourne to live, how long were you here before? It might be worth looking at the school zones then looking at rental prices within those zones to see what suits you. Viewbank isn't on the train line but is not far from Rosanna station (new station just built). Good luck with your move!

Thank you. We lived in Bundoora 2yrs and we were in Singleton, NSW for 1yr prior to that.

We we have friends with children at Eltham High School, who think it’s a good school. We love Eltham but rentals don’t seem to come up there often. However, I have a friend in Greensborough who’s children attend EHS..

sr71 May 29th 2018 9:38 am

Originally Posted by wiltshire_1 (Post 12506831)

Thanks. Do you mean you hated it second time around?? Did you hate it first time around...??

Yes, loved it first time, hated it second time. Going from being a single 20 something living in South Yarra, to late 30's with wife + kids, in dreary Melbourne suburbia after living in London for 10 years was just too much of a change for me. Found Melbourne to be incredible parochial, not pretty, hated the weather and flies, found it a bit grubby.

wiltshire_1 May 29th 2018 10:06 am

Originally Posted by sr71 (Post 12506956)
Yes, loved it first time, hated it second time. Going from being a single 20 something living in South Yarra, to late 30's with wife + kids, in dreary Melbourne suburbia after living in London for 10 years was just too much of a change for me. Found Melbourne to be incredible parochial, not pretty, hated the weather and flies, found it a bit grubby.

Thats interesting... I hated our time in NSW (quite remote town) but loved Melbourne. However by the time we moved to Melbourne, I’d fallen out of love with Australia and the wheels were in motion to come home. My experience of Melbourne is quite different to yours though. I liked it, found there was lots to do. But then, I’ve never lived in London... Can’t temember an issue with flies - unlike when we were in NSW!

Pootle May 29th 2018 11:52 am

Originally Posted by wiltshire_1 (Post 12506848)

Thank you. We lived in Bundoora 2yrs and we were in Singleton, NSW for 1yr prior to that.

We we have friends with children at Eltham High School, who think it’s a good school. We love Eltham but rentals don’t seem to come up there often. However, I have a friend in Greensborough who’s children attend EHS..

Are you in Wiltshire currently? What has prompted the move back to Aus? We lived in Chippenham and Trowbridge before we moved here.

wiltshire_1 May 29th 2018 12:21 pm

Originally Posted by Pootle (Post 12507051)
Are you in Wiltshire currently? What has prompted the move back to Aus? We lived in Chippenham and Trowbridge before we moved here.

Yes. We’re near Salisbury - same place we returned to from Australia 7yrs ago!

We’ve always kind of thought “what if” since we came back, and more and more realizing that a lot of what we came back for isn’t really here anymore.... Maybe the grass is always greener syndrome.... Maybe “pingpongers”... It’s the curse of the expat 🤷🏻‍♀️

Where are you now??

quoll May 29th 2018 8:21 pm

Originally Posted by wiltshire_1 (Post 12507063)

We’ve always kind of thought “what if” since we came back, and more and more realizing that a lot of what we came back for isn’t really here anymore.... Maybe the grass is always greener syndrome.... Maybe “pingpongers”... It’s the curse of the expat 🤷🏻‍♀️

Where are you now??

Going to give it another go are you? Good luck! Hope you have better luck this time around, you didnt get the best of starts the last time with your deployment. Curse of the expat - uncomfortable feeling!!!!

sr71 May 29th 2018 11:14 pm

Where are you now??

The grass is definitely browner in Melbourne. You’ve hit the nail on the head for me, most places have their pros and cons, very hard to settle in one place after living in different countries

Pootle May 30th 2018 11:58 am

Where are you now??

We're in Heidelberg Heights. Rented in Ivanhoe for 3 years then bought here 10 years ago. Just on the edge of Rosanna, been very happy here.

wiltshire_1 Jun 5th 2018 8:46 pm

Originally Posted by Pootle (Post 12507722)
We're in Heidelberg Heights. Rented in Ivanhoe for 3 years then bought here 10 years ago. Just on the edge of Rosanna, been very happy here.

I know that area well.

Good to hear ear you are enjoying life there!

wiltshire_1 Jun 13th 2018 6:01 am

Originally Posted by panneer (Post 12515027)
Good luck, I did similar.

Oh do tell me more! Going through a mixture of emotions right now.... Be nice to hear from someone who’s done similar and hear how it’s eorked out for them. Message me if you’d rather? I’d really appreciate hearing your experiences..

saoghalbeag Jun 15th 2018 11:47 am

I'm a reverse ping-ponger - lived in Scotland in my early 20s and loved it, spent over a decade moving all over the world whilst trying to navigate UK visas, and after 18 months "living the dream" in Scotland I'm about to return to Australia.

The irony is I'm too old for this dream. We're in the Highlands and we really needed to be have been back here 10 years ago to make this our home. Friendships etc are hard, and there are practical considerations - the career I've cultivated in Australia and internationally doesn't exist here, my daughter is now old enough for strong opinions about where "home" is (it's not Scotland), and I just really want a house, which is out of our reach here because everyone wants a 2nd home on Skye. Locals are living in single rooms, caravans, couches. It's unjust and I'm just too damn old for this shiz!

So when the pull factors were suddenly raised a notch - my family have a fantastic business in bushland, on a lake in Oz which is expanding and suddenly there's a role for me - it tipped us over the edge. Years ago I couldn't understand the "lifestyle" guff that was so appealing to British folk in Oz, but suddenly I do. So I figure it is finally time to go "home".

I hope things work out for you. It is an emotional time - I poured my heart and soul into moving back to Scotland. It's all I've thought about, talked about, for 14 years, and I'm a little afraid of the void the absence of this dream will leave.

It's the right decision for us, but I do feel I've cut myself adrift.