Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Return to UK but CGT

Return to UK but CGT

Old Jul 3rd 2018, 12:50 pm
I still dont believe it..

uk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Return to UK but CGT

Originally Posted by Kiwipaul
The important question is did you buy or rent a property whilst in Oz.

If you rented then you can claim your UK property as your PPOR for 6 years after you move out.

But if you bought another property in OZ then yes you are liable for the CGT on the increase on your UK property. But you will be selling your Oz property with no CGT liability which will soften the blow.
Thats not what the uk gov website says - it says if you are taxed abroad you pay cgt unless you stay in the uk 3 months min in the tax year, first and last years are a little different but nicely - only applies since 2015?. Anyway, take advice from a uk tax lawyer not here... You really dont want to raise your head above the parapet with hmrc and get them into pencil sharpening/investigation mode, and rhere may well be avoidance available, keep it all simple as you can. Have you calculated the gain yet?

https://www.gov.uk/tax-live-abroad-sell-uk-home

Old Jul 3rd 2018, 12:54 pm

uk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond repute

Remember always - you are dealing with 3 seperate things - what the oz govt wants to charge you, what the uk govt wants to charge you, and does the treaty explicitly allow you to claim exemption frim the country you arent taxed in in this circumstance. Complicated by - you coukd choose to sell before or after moving - does that impact the result?

i tell you, its a lot easier when your country doesnt do cgt or iht for that matter.
Old Jul 3rd 2018, 11:30 pm
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by uk_grenada

Thats not what the uk gov website says - it says if you are taxed abroad you pay cgt unless you stay in the uk 3 months min in the tax year, first and last years are a little different but nicely - only applies since 2015?. Anyway, take advice from a uk tax lawyer not here... You really dont want to raise your head above the parapet with hmrc and get them into pencil sharpening/investigation mode, and rhere may well be avoidance available, keep it all simple as you can. Have you calculated the gain yet?

https://www.gov.uk/tax-live-abroad-sell-uk-home

A handful of us are tax qualified in the UK and in Australia - these days (since April 2015 in particular) advice is usually required in respect of tax in both jurisdictions.

Best regards.
Old Jul 4th 2018, 11:08 am
BE Forum Addict

Kiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to behold

Thats not what the uk gov website says - it says if you are taxed abroad you pay cgt
My advise was based on OZ tax law NOT UK tax liability. Is the OP concerned about UK tax liability or OZ tax liability,

My advise is based on purely his situation in OZ and Oz tax laws.
Old Jul 5th 2018, 1:02 am
Forum Regular

shouldistayorgo is just really niceshouldistayorgo is just really niceshouldistayorgo is just really niceshouldistayorgo is just really niceshouldistayorgo is just really niceshouldistayorgo is just really niceshouldistayorgo is just really niceshouldistayorgo is just really niceshouldistayorgo is just really nice

Jesus Wept! I could kill my accountant.
He had me believing that I'd have a massive bill on my return to the UK.

Here is how to work it out.
On the day you become a permanent resident - the value of your house in UK is X (convert to AUD using that days exchange rate)
On the day you stop being a resident in Australia for tax reasons - the value of the house is Y (again convert to AUD)

Are you up or down?

If you are down (if your property has decreased in price) you will have a credit applied to your CGT which can be applied to future CGT events in Australia.

If you are up (if your property has increased in price) then it means WHEN/IF YOU EVENTUALLY SELL THE HOUSE you will have to pay CGT. If you never sell the house you will never have to pay the CGT. My accountant never told me this bit - I could kill him!!!

I think I might actually be down due to the exchange rate. (it was much higher than now).
Old Jul 5th 2018, 1:15 am
Forum Regular

shouldistayorgo is just really niceshouldistayorgo is just really niceshouldistayorgo is just really niceshouldistayorgo is just really niceshouldistayorgo is just really niceshouldistayorgo is just really niceshouldistayorgo is just really niceshouldistayorgo is just really niceshouldistayorgo is just really nice

Oh - I did not buy a house while I was in Australia - I rented all that time.
Old Jul 5th 2018, 5:18 am
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shouldistayorgo
Jesus Wept! I could kill my accountant.
He had me believing that I'd have a massive bill on my return to the UK.

Here is how to work it out.
On the day you become a permanent resident - the value of your house in UK is X (convert to AUD using that days exchange rate)
On the day you stop being a resident in Australia for tax reasons - the value of the house is Y (again convert to AUD)

Are you up or down?

If you are down (if your property has decreased in price) you will have a credit applied to your CGT which can be applied to future CGT events in Australia.

If you are up (if your property has increased in price) then it means WHEN/IF YOU EVENTUALLY SELL THE HOUSE you will have to pay CGT. If you never sell the house you will never have to pay the CGT. My accountant never told me this bit - I could kill him!!!

I think I might actually be down due to the exchange rate. (it was much higher than now).
There's actually a bit more to it - the Tax Treaty between the UK and Australia also has a provision that might be to your benefit if you sell the property while you are a tax resident of the UK.

If you have a choice as to when to sell it is usually best to know the position in the UK and Australia if you sell when resident in Australia/not resident in the UK, as against the position in the UK and Australia if you sell when not resident in Australia/resident in the UK.

This also requires a consideration of the applicable Treaty provisions.

Best regards.
Old Jul 5th 2018, 7:10 am
BE Forum Addict

Kiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by shouldistayorgo
Oh - I did not buy a house while I was in Australia - I rented all that time.
Well if that is the case you can claim your UK property as your PPOR whilst it was rented for up to 6 years after you moved out so if you were away for 7 years your Oz CGT liability will only be for the last year.
Must admit I don't know whether you can claim this PPOR exclusion for a foreign property but I don't see why not. CHECK.

Yes I agree that once you cease to be tax resident in Oz you have a CGT liability on all your income generating assets, but you can defer this liability until you sell the asset and once you've left Oz they won't know when and for how much you sell it. This is only cost effective if you don't plan on returning to Oz and becoming a tax resident again.

Again this only applies to Oz tax NOT UK tax so get professional advise.
Old Jul 5th 2018, 7:49 am

Well if that is the case you can claim your UK property as your PPOR whilst it was rented for up to 6 years after you moved out so if you were away for 7 years your Oz CGT liability will only be for the last year.
Must admit I don't know whether you can claim this PPOR exclusion for a foreign property but I don't see why not. CHECK.

Yes I agree that once you cease to be tax resident in Oz you have a CGT liability on all your income generating assets, but you can defer this liability until you sell the asset and once you've left Oz they won't know when and for how much you sell it. This is only cost effective if you don't plan on returning to Oz and becoming a tax resident again.

Again this only applies to Oz tax NOT UK tax so get professional advise.
Exactly, meanwhile in the uk HMRC will know if you rented the uk house or from several possible other sources, so they know you weren’t living there so cgt liability is flagged.
Old Jul 5th 2018, 10:45 am
BE Forum Addict

Exactly, meanwhile in the uk HMRC will know if you rented the uk house or from several possible other sources, so they know you weren’t living there so cgt liability is flagged.
Not to familiar with UK CGT after being away for 30 years, but does moving back into an investment property result in a CGT liability immediately or is it deferred until you actually sell it (most likely).
Old Jul 5th 2018, 10:54 am

Not to familiar with UK CGT after being away for 30 years, but does moving back into an investment property result in a CGT liability immediately or is it deferred until you actually sell it (most likely).
The legal liability has already occurred after you moved out, (though possibly not till 2015 or possibly not till the year after you moved out which would be the case if you were in the uk, so I’m dubious about 2015) but take advice.. However the tax doesn’t have to be paid till the gain is crystallised when you sell, BUT make sure you know what the liability is, it depends on theoretical values year by year, and chances are it’s 28% (18%. if you fall into low band tax but that’s unlikely in cgt world) of the growth.

Last edited by uk_grenada; Jul 5th 2018 at 10:57 am.
Old Jul 5th 2018, 11:00 am

The legal liability has already occurred after you moved out, (though possibly not till 2015 or possibly not till the year after you moved out which would be the case if you were in the uk, so I’m dubious about 2015) but take advice.. However the tax doesn’t have to be paid till the gain is crystallised when you sell, BUT make sure you know what the liability is, it depends on theoretical values year by year, and chances are it’s 28% (18%. if you fall into low band tax but that’s unlikely in cgt world) of the growth.
was the uk property rented out? Did you claim costs of maintenance etc and the rent as income?
Old Jul 5th 2018, 9:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

tomar has a reputation beyond reputetomar has a reputation beyond reputetomar has a reputation beyond reputetomar has a reputation beyond reputetomar has a reputation beyond reputetomar has a reputation beyond reputetomar has a reputation beyond reputetomar has a reputation beyond reputetomar has a reputation beyond reputetomar has a reputation beyond reputetomar has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting thread. We are long term temporary residents in Australia and rent out investment properties in UK. We are British. We are aware of the new rules, and had our properties valued, realise we will pay tax on the potential increase in value when we sell, but should we ever move back and live in one as our now principle home would we be in the same position as we did buy a house here? Or as we never became properly resident here, eg not PR, pay all our tax in UK would different rules apply.
Old Jul 5th 2018, 11:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

I found this regarding UK CGT
To work out how much of the gain you’ll have to pay tax on, you add the number of months you lived in the property to 18 and divide by the number of months you owned the property. This gives you the fraction of the gain that is tax-free. The amount you’ll pay tax on is the remainder of the gain minus your annual CGT exempt amount of £11,000 (assuming you have no other gains to set it against).Because you let the property, you may also be able to qualify for what’s called “lettings relief” which makes up to £40,000 of your taxable gain tax-free. But if the tax-free gain as a result of private residence relief (calculated above) is less than £40,000, the most you can claim in total is double the private residence relief.
https://www.theguardian.com/money/20...n-let-property

It's from 2014 so not sure how relevant to current tax rules it is.