British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Return Tickets or not ? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/return-tickets-not-111103/)

Hills Sep 7th 2002 8:21 am

Re: Return Tickets or not ?

Pippa wrote:

> When you go to NZ on a 6 month work visa to gain your extra points for residency do
    > you have to actually buy a return ticket or can you buy a one way ticket and then
    > prove you have the funds to buy a ticket home (if necessary) ??

As a general rule, if you have a visa in your passport that allows you to 'work', a
return ticket/proof of funds is not required. It is assumed that you can work to
support yourself, and buy a ticket out if you want to. :)

The intent of the return ticket/proof of funds is to avoid people arriving in a
country broke, and then the local govt. having to pay to send you home! LJ

Pippa Sep 7th 2002 4:43 pm

Return Tickets or not ?

When you go to NZ on a 6 month work visa to gain your extra points for residency do you have to actually buy a return ticket or can you buy a one way ticket and then prove you have the funds to buy a ticket home (if necessary) ??

Has anyone had any experience with this?

What is the usual proceedure?

What proof will they accept?

:confused::confused::confused:

Thanks a lot for your help.

Pippa xx

Pippa Sep 8th 2002 7:51 am

whoops sorry.

Don Sep 8th 2002 8:02 am

Originally posted by Pippa:
When you go to NZ on a 6 month work visa to gain your extra points for residency do you have to actually buy a return ticket or can you buy a one way ticket and then prove you have the funds to buy a ticket home (if necessary) ??

Pippa xx
It's been posted here recently that showing them you have sufficient funds to buy a return ticket is sufficient - eg credit cards etc

Don Sep 8th 2002 8:02 am

Pippa xx
It's been posted here recently that showing them you have sufficient funds to buy a return ticket is sufficient - eg credit cards etc

Emmy & Phil Sep 9th 2002 3:49 am

hi pippa, as you may know we are on a six month wdv and we can out on a one way
ticket, so i guess it is ok!!!! we didnt show any proof of funds. try
www.ebookers.com they were really cheap.

Emily

"Pippa" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > When you go to NZ on a 6 month work visa to gain your extra points for residency do
    > you have to actually buy a return ticket or can you buy a one way ticket and then
    > prove you have the funds to buy a ticket home (if necessary) ??
    > Has anyone had any experience with this?
    > What is the usual proceedure?
    > What proof will they accept?
    > :confused::confused::confused:
    > Thanks a lot for your help.
    > Pippa xx
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Pippa Sep 9th 2002 7:12 pm

Dear Emily

Thanks for the info.

We'll keep our fingers crossed that either they wont ask for anything or maybe the credit card will be ok for them.

Taken a look on ebookers and they seem to have the best prices so far. Looked at both one way which is around £450 at end November and £750 for a six month open return ie end Nov 2002 return end July 2003.

Will definately go to them first when we get a definate date to go.

Hope everything is still going ok your end, best wishes to you all.

Maybe you could post an update on your adventures for the rest of us NZ bounders as we seem to a bit battered by the Aussie brigade....Come on you Kiwis.....tell us all.

Best wishes

Pippa xx

lizzie Sep 10th 2002 11:45 am

Maybe you could post an update on your adventures for the rest of us NZ bounders as we seem to a bit battered by the Aussie brigade....Come on you Kiwis.....tell us all.

Best wishes

Pippa xx
I second this!!! It's got quite boring on here for us would-be Kiwis at the moment. Please give us a little insight into your new life in NZ?

Also, where has Newstartnz gone?

Lizzie:D

Nicki Sep 10th 2002 1:27 pm

>> Maybe you could post an update on your adventures for the rest of us NZ bounders
    >> as we seem to a bit battered by the Aussie brigade....Come on you Kiwis.....tell
    >> us all.
    >> Best wishes
    >> Pippa xx
    >I second this!!! It's got quite boring on here for us would-be Kiwis at the moment.
    >Please give us a little insight into your new life in NZ?
    >Lizzie:D

Thirded (if there is there such a word??) I'm off to visit NZ in a couple of weeks
(can't wait!) so I'll be able to make a few comments. But until then....

Nicki

Emmy & Phil Sep 10th 2002 9:14 pm

Thankyou it's nice to feel wanted : ) I life here is sooo much better that i had
imagined we are settling in really well, at the moment its just a waiting game, Phil
is just applying for all the jobs and cold calling all the companies but things here
are really quiet on the IT front. I'm sure something will come up.

As for life in general, well i think i am a better mother here, I'm not so stressed
about Matthew, where he is and what his doing. Most big shops and children's areas,
normally at the back of the shop, I put Matthew there and then go and look around the
shop, this would never happen back in England - I was always too paranoid to let him
out of my sight. The fear of something happening to him is alot less here, and
though I still appreciate it could happen, I am more relaxed. Children don't seem to
grow up as fast here - you go to the park and see lots of big kids playing nicely on
swings/slides etc, and helping the littler ones.

Sorry to go on about the kids, but that's where my life is at the moment!

We have a website up and running (mostly), which is intended mostly for family (good
source for photos of Matthew and other bits). If you'd like to have a look, email me
and I'll send you the address! It also has some pics from days out we have had etc.

Emily.

"Nicki" <nicki.nz@ntl*world.com> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > >> Maybe you could post an update on your adventures for the rest of us NZ bounders
    > >> as we seem to a bit battered by the Aussie brigade....Come on you Kiwis.....tell
    > >> us all.
    > >>
    > >> Best wishes
    > >>
    > >> Pippa xx
    > >
    > >I second this!!! It's got quite boring on here for us would-be Kiwis at the
    > >moment. Please give us a little insight into your new life in NZ?
    > >
    > >Lizzie:D
    > >
    > Thirded (if there is there such a word??) I'm off to visit NZ in a couple of weeks
    > (can't wait!) so I'll be able to make a few comments. But until then....
    > Nicki