Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

return flights for rellies around dec-jan HELP

return flights for rellies around dec-jan HELP

Old Nov 18th 2005, 10:22 pm
ljj
BE Enthusiast

ljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of light
Default return flights for rellies around dec-jan HELP

I've just come off the phone from my sister who has really had it bad recently and It feels so hard being so far away from her.

She has never been able to come to see us as she is on her own with 2 children and money is very tight. She has found out today that her job will end on xmas eve so there is nothing stopping her having time away from the UK.

I want to get her here and could just about scrape enough money together for one ticket, spoke to my parents they could manage for another ticket but we need to get cheap good flights (ie decent airlines) I have heard that if you fly on xmas day it is cheaper as no-one wants to be travelling on xmas day they want to be at their destination or with loved ones before they go.

Does anyone know where I can find out?
or a website where you can put in 'between dates' ie fly out from 25-12-05 to 1-1-06 for 3-4 weeks give me the best deal you have kind of thing?

I'd appreciate replies as I feel time is running out for the dates she would be able to come out.
Louise
Old Nov 18th 2005, 10:31 pm
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: return flights for rellies around dec-jan HELP

Originally Posted by ljj
I've just come off the phone from my sister who has really had it bad recently and It feels so hard being so far away from her.

She has never been able to come to see us as she is on her own with 2 children and money is very tight. She has found out today that her job will end on xmas eve so there is nothing stopping her having time away from the UK.

I want to get her here and could just about scrape enough money together for one ticket, spoke to my parents they could manage for another ticket but we need to get cheap good flights (ie decent airlines) I have heard that if you fly on xmas day it is cheaper as no-one wants to be travelling on xmas day they want to be at their destination or with loved ones before they go.

or a website where you can put in 'between dates' ie fly out from 25-12-05 to 1-1-06 for 3-4 weeks give me the best deal you have kind of thing?

I'd appreciate replies as I feel time is running out for the dates she would be able to come out.
Louise
www.expedia.co.uk
www.travelocity.co.uk

both will allow you to do that.

flights on xmass day are sometimes cheaper.

DO NOT fly with china air, or any chinese airline, - they are really , really, really ,awful. I flew business class with them 1 month ago and it was like bieing on a bad package flight to spain about 15 yrs ago. That was only a 3 hr flight from beijing to hong kong for business. (Well ok - you can fly with them you wont die but its very very poor indeed) no entertainment in seat backs etc food awful. yo dont want it for the duration of a flight from uk to aus. Everyone else is ok pretty much.
Old Nov 18th 2005, 10:33 pm
ljj
BE Enthusiast

ljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by spalen
www.expedia.co.uk
www.travelocity.co.uk

both will allow you to do that.

flights on xmass day are sometimes cheaper.

DO NOT fly with china air, or any chinese airline, - they are really , really, really ,awful. I flew business class with them 1 month ago and it was like bieing on a bad package flight to spain about 15 yrs ago. That was only a 3 hr flight from beijing to hong kong for business. (Well ok - you can fly with them you wont die but its very very poor indeed) no entertainment in seat backs etc food awful. yo dont want it for the duration of a flight from uk to aus. Everyone else is ok pretty much.
thanks I need to know that as my sister has back problems and she will prob have to have steroid injections before she flys to cope with the whole journey.

Louise
Old Nov 18th 2005, 10:35 pm
Account Closed

TraceyW is an unknown quantity at this point

Get in touch with Austravel in the UK. When I was trying to get my mum out here they were really great and got the cheapest deal.

The only way she could do it though was to return on the 1st Jan 2007. Everyone's usually too hung over to want to fly then! Everything else was booked up until at least the 16th onwards.

Good luck.
Old Nov 18th 2005, 10:37 pm
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ljj
thanks I need to know that as my sister has back problems and she will prob have to have steroid injections before she flys to cope with the whole journey.

Louise
get a Dr's note - tell the airline, they'll probably give her bulk head seats.

On the other hand -t hey might want some extra insurance or drs note to say shes ok to fly - so thikn about that one before doing it ;-)
Old Nov 18th 2005, 10:42 pm
ljj
BE Enthusiast

Oh there's so much to think of! The best deal I can find at the moment is GBP 1683.60 for her and her daughter (son is at college and has to still go) and that seems such a lot we wouldn't be able to scrape that together! I'll try Austravel and see how I go.

Thank you any other advise greatly appreciated.

Louise
Old Nov 18th 2005, 11:18 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Yea... sadly, think you're going to be very hard pushed to find any sort of 'deal' at this late stage. The sister-in-law split up with her boyfriend and announced that she was joining us for our regular winter down-under. I did some flight research for her and the best I could do was about 1300 quid. The 500 quid flights go very quickly indeed on such long flights. Still, you may get lucky and find a cancellation or something. Good luck.
Old Nov 18th 2005, 11:22 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Just did a check on Cathay who are quoting 1,204.00 per adult and 904.00 per child which I really reckon is the best you're going to get. And there's *really* limited availability - so do get in there quickly
Old Nov 18th 2005, 11:45 pm

biggy is an unknown quantity at this point

check out www.cheapestflights.co.uk

They got flights from London to Melbourne leaving 25th Dec for 693 quid with Emirates
Old Nov 19th 2005, 12:01 am

chatty34 is an unknown quantity at this point

We used a company by the name of Lee's Travel
Tel: 0207 535 9611
Shopped around lots and lots and they gave us the best price at the time.

Really feel for you and your sister and hope that you find a good price and spend some time together.

Sharon
x
Old Nov 19th 2005, 3:39 am
ljj
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by biggy

They got flights from London to Melbourne leaving 25th Dec for 693 quid with Emirates
Thanks that looks like the best deal we can get hopefully that will apply from Manchester also! fingers crossed she can get on.

She needs a hug big-time, poor luv.

Louise xx
Old Nov 19th 2005, 4:30 am
Member of Mumo-land

mumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by ljj

Louise

Hi IJJ: Try Austravel website. They're experienced and sell insurance, help with visas the lot! Good luck. My mum has just booked to come and see me in NZ and got a flight out on Xmas Day so I know they're out there. Think it's costing about 1600 quid return. :-) Mumo
Old Nov 19th 2005, 11:10 am
ljj
BE Enthusiast

Talking Re: return flights for rellies around dec-jan HELP

Originally Posted by biggy

OH MY GOD!!!!!!!!
We have booked and paid and confirmed! THANK YOU BIGGY I OWE U A DRINK AND A HALF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kathryn and Chloe are flying out from Manchester on Xmas Eve and it has only cost, for both of them, return... GBP 1477.60 with Emirates.

I'm going to see my sister after 2 and a half years weehay!!!!!!!

anybody wanting rellies over book now cos the xmas day flights for the same price ran out whilst booking,

Louise... on a high! www.cheapestflights.co.uk are ace xx
Old Nov 19th 2005, 11:50 am
Australia's Doorman

Originally Posted by ljj
OH MY GOD!!!!!!!!
We have booked and paid and confirmed! THANK YOU BIGGY I OWE U A DRINK AND A HALF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kathryn and Chloe are flying out from Manchester on Xmas Eve and it has only cost, for both of them, return... GBP 1477.60 with Emirates.

I'm going to see my sister after 2 and a half years weehay!!!!!!!

anybody wanting rellies over book now cos the xmas day flights for the same price ran out whilst booking,

Louise... on a high! www.cheapestflights.co.uk are ace xx
That's great news. Glad it's all panned out okay for you
Old Nov 19th 2005, 12:10 pm

A dogs life is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by spalen

DO NOT fly with china air, or any chinese airline, - they are really , really, really ,awful.
We flew with china air from Beijing to Xian once. The wallpaper was peeling off the walls of the plane.

Yes I said wallpaper.

The had wallpapered the inside of the plane . And it was coming off. Oh and there was a whistling noise from one of the windows.

And no aircon, so it was swelteringly hot.

Sorry but I can't get past the flowery wallpaper on the planes, Its like you're sitting in your grandmothers living room... but on a plane.

Last edited by A dogs life; Nov 19th 2005 at 12:13 pm.