British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Return fares from UK to Oz (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/return-fares-uk-oz-761156/)

Beedubya Jun 9th 2012 12:00 pm

Return fares from UK to Oz

Hello, wondering if anybody can help out somebody I know here in the UK. She and her son (so 2 adults then) need to fly from Newcastle to Brisbane after July 8th and will stay for about 4 weeks, she is pretty flexible however has to be back in the UK before the son starts college in September. A travel agent has quoted her £2800.00 for the both of them.

I have seen loads of threads on here over the years of people getting good deals on airfares, any ideas please?

Thank you.

Tramps_mate Jun 9th 2012 12:38 pm

Re: Return fares from UK to Oz

Probably not too far off.

Beedubya Jun 9th 2012 12:41 pm

Originally Posted by Tramps_mate (Post 10109330)
Probably not too far off.

Really? But I thought everybody always said it was cheaper to buy a ticket from here to there rather than vice versa, or is it because of the time of the year?

Tramps_mate Jun 9th 2012 12:50 pm

Will they fly from Newcastle to Manchester or London, then Dubai to Brisbane.?

Theres probably cheaper but it may be more hassle. I tried to get as best a flight itinary as poss, even if it cost more.

Emirates cost for that route on that date is 3300 pound.. Or 2800 if you leave on July 7th..

Beedubya Jun 9th 2012 12:57 pm

Originally Posted by Tramps_mate (Post 10109344)
Will they fly from Newcastle to Manchester or London, then Dubai to Brisbane.?

Theres probably cheaper but it may be more hassle. I tried to get as best a flight itinary as poss, even if it cost more.

Emirates cost for that route on that date is 3300 pound.. Or 2800 if you leave on July 7th..

I know I have been checking the fares out all morning with her and saw how expensive EK was. :blink:

She would prefer Newcastle obviously for convenience but if it's a lot cheaper from London then she would go that route.

Pollyana Jun 9th 2012 12:59 pm

Originally Posted by Beedubya (Post 10109333)
Really? But I thought everybody always said it was cheaper to buy a ticket from here to there rather than vice versa, or is it because of the time of the year?

Its UK school summer holiday, that knocks the prices up straight away.

rasen78 Jun 9th 2012 5:53 pm

Cheapest I've found on Travelbag is £1646 per person flying from Manchester via Dubai with a refueling stop at Changi too - that's with Emirates

Just found a flight from Heathrow, with BA £1372 - via LAX

Pollyana Jun 10th 2012 4:57 am

Originally Posted by rasen78 (Post 10109666)
Cheapest I've found on Travelbag is £1646 per person flying from Manchester via Dubai with a refueling stop at Changi too - that's with Emirates

Just found a flight from Heathrow, with BA £1372 - via LAX

Anyone using the LAX route - remember you will need to look at US visa requirements (ESTA/VWP etc) even if only transiting.

Beedubya Jun 10th 2012 5:00 am

Thanks everybody, looks like she is just going to have to bite the bullet then. :(

Tramps_mate Jun 10th 2012 9:23 am

Originally Posted by Pollyana (Post 10110162)
Anyone using the LAX route - remember you will need to look at US visa requirements (ESTA/VWP etc) even if only transiting.

Who flies via the US? How long do the flights take?

Pollyana Jun 10th 2012 12:52 pm

Originally Posted by Tramps_mate (Post 10110402)

No idea. I think its about 36 hours. No intention of going that way cos of all the messing around getting ESTA etc sorted, going through Immigration, checking in again etc.

concretepump Jun 10th 2012 6:32 pm

about 26 hours, we fly with air NZ , though LA but its cheaper than going other routes, with air NZ we go premier or business, you do have to check in but can leave luggage on the plane normally three hours and we off again

sassie Jun 11th 2012 12:54 am

Where are people getting 26 and 36 hours? We flew this route a few weeks ago. 13 hours from Brisbane to LA and then about 9 hours to Heathrow

Sally Redux Jun 11th 2012 1:05 am

Originally Posted by sassie (Post 10111531)
Where are people getting 26 and 36 hours? We flew this route a few weeks ago. 13 hours from Brisbane to LA and then about 9 hours to Heathrow

It always takes us 11 hours LAX-Heathrow. You must have had a good wind behind you.

bcworld Jun 11th 2012 1:42 am

Originally Posted by sassie (Post 10111531)

22 hours flying + transit time at LAX is surely close to 26 hours? I certainly wouldn't fancy a short connection there.