British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   The Return of the Dyson (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/return-dyson-316307/)

Bella Donna Jul 27th 2005 11:38 am

Re: The Return of the Dyson

Originally Posted by bridiej
I loved mine too, until it blew up! Same thing happened to my Mums! Would love another one and they had them on sale for £169 but dont want to spend out if it's not worth it...

We got a Dyson upright when I was pregnant and frankly I thought it was crap. I sold it to a mate who loves it!

When we got our puppy last year we got another - the Dyson Animal - but this time we got a cylinder model and it's brilliant. Our "puppy" (now full grown!) is white and long-haired and sheds fur as soon as you look at him, but the Dyson cleans up after him extremely well. Cleans hard floors equally as well as carpets - but the upright didn't do hard floors well.

If you're after a cylinder, I'd go for it - if you're considering an upright, maybe it wouldn't be such a good buy.

I think Dyson's have only just started taking off in Oz, which could account for the high price. :confused:

Emzee Jul 27th 2005 11:56 am

Originally Posted by movetoperth.com
My dyson hoover has just come back from it's visit to the dyson doctor. We bought it just before we came here and a few weeks back it decided to pack in.

I called the repair shop and they quoted $75 to look at it and "at least $150" to repair it, but, recommended i call Dyson to check if it was still under warranty. I called them up and gave them the serial number and it was a month past the warranty date but they said they'd honour it. I dropped it off on friday and it was fixed by yesterday and delivered back to me today. Cost $17 for a new "aussie" cable and $10 to deliver it to me 35ks out of the city.

So..... the point of the story is that always check if your warrantly will be honoured on your UK purchased goods, you may save yourself a good few dollars :D

The down side is i now have no excuse not to do the hoovering and the house is a tip :eek:

Lynn

I owned my own cleaning business for seven years prior to coming here and swear by Dysons, i used to replace mine every two years (taking into account they were used all day 5 days a week), during that time each one was repaired numerous times and had most or all parts replaced, FREE OF CHARGE as i always went through Dyson, and they even come to your house to repair it, the most they charge after the guarantee is expired is 75 pounds, thats for a complete overall service including parts, what more could you ask ! :D

bridiej Jul 27th 2005 12:07 pm

Originally Posted by Bella Donna
We got a Dyson upright when I was pregnant and frankly I thought it was crap. I sold it to a mate who loves it!

When we got our puppy last year we got another - the Dyson Animal - but this time we got a cylinder model and it's brilliant. Our "puppy" (now full grown!) is white and long-haired and sheds fur as soon as you look at him, but the Dyson cleans up after him extremely well. Cleans hard floors equally as well as carpets - but the upright didn't do hard floors well.

If you're after a cylinder, I'd go for it - if you're considering an upright, maybe it wouldn't be such a good buy.

I think Dyson's have only just started taking off in Oz, which could account for the high price. :confused:

Thanks for the info :)

movetoperth Jul 27th 2005 12:27 pm

Originally Posted by Bella Donna

Mines an upright and it works well on hard floors and carpets, picks white labrador hair off anything, no worries. I was using a friends cylinder (not a dyson) at the weekend, found it much harder work. But, different things work well for different people.

If i was in the UK waiting to come over, i'd buy a Dyson and ship it.

Lynn

Anne4Terry Jul 27th 2005 12:27 pm

Originally Posted by Emzee
I owned my own cleaning business for seven years prior to coming here and swear by Dysons, i used to replace mine every two years (taking into account they were used all day 5 days a week), during that time each one was repaired numerous times and had most or all parts replaced, FREE OF CHARGE as i always went through Dyson, and they even come to your house to repair it, the most they charge after the guarantee is expired is 75 pounds, thats for a complete overall service including parts, what more could you ask ! :D

Uprights or cylinders?

Perthforme Jul 27th 2005 12:32 pm

Originally Posted by Anne4Terry
Uprights or cylinders?

Terry said at the week end best to buy both and then you can both do the house work side by side :p

Anne4Terry Jul 27th 2005 12:33 pm

Originally Posted by Perthforme
Terry said at the week end best to buy both and then you can both do the house work side by side :p

Now I KNOW you are telling porkies!!!!!!!!!!!

Amazulu Jul 27th 2005 12:43 pm

Originally Posted by Emzee
what more could you ask ! :D

For it not to break within 2 years?. We've had 3 & they've all had something go wrong with them.

Soi Oz Jul 27th 2005 1:18 pm

Originally Posted by tiredwithtwins
:scared: :scared: :scared:

...anyone else slightly alarmed at the extortionate cost of 'oovers in aus!!????

i budgeted for about $150 for a 'thing that sucks the muck up'......perhaps i really dont keep up with the jones...! (only kidding petey)

sue :scared:

I bought a bagless 'Kambrook' vacuum for about $150 not so long ago. You can get simpler "hoovers" a lot cheaper than that.

Perthforme Jul 27th 2005 1:41 pm

Originally Posted by Anne4Terry
Now I KNOW you are telling porkies!!!!!!!!!!!

Who me :eek: no :o

parkhigh Jul 27th 2005 2:14 pm

I have an old blue dyson which i have had for years and love it!! i had planned to buy a dyson in aus but know reading these threads i will buy a new one and bring it out with us. My current one has really started to fall about and would meet customs approval despite many hours of cleaning. i will just have to tell him i need a new one shame ;)
Irene

gdcollectables Jul 27th 2005 2:58 pm

Hi Bj and All

I had a bargain cylinder Dyson I bought from the Co-op, I emailed Dyson in Sydney and they said the warranty was covered in Oz.

So I bought an 'Allergy' one cheap from Currys online (used it a couple of times so it didn't look brand new) and brought two here!

Can't beat them on tiled and polished wood floors, especially with all those balls of fluff the r/c aircon creates.

gd :)

(By the way, I don't use them both at the same time, if you're imagining broomhandles)!

bridiej Jul 27th 2005 3:51 pm

Originally Posted by gdcollectables
(By the way, I don't use them both at the same time, if you're imagining broomhandles)!

PMSL! :D

Thanks for the info, will be down to Currys shortly me thinks... think I'll get the cylinder type rather than upright....

BJ x ;)

Anne4Terry Jul 27th 2005 4:24 pm

Originally Posted by Perthforme

Just read this out to Terry, now he's home, and he said "b*st*rd! Just because you are going to Perth too doesn't mean that we have to keep contact, and you can keep your wife stirring comments to yourself!" :D

Personally I thought it was quite funny to watch his reaction at the thought of having to do housework. Ha ha ha :D

sonictigger Jul 27th 2005 8:12 pm

Originally Posted by bridiej
Is it worth buying a Dyson then? Only Currys had them cheap but I thought most floors in Perth would be tiled....

Dyson's are the best.....we have just changed to an ANIMAL one now...fantastic...even makes me want to hoover the stairs!!!!

Very sad thread...hoovering....aaggghhh what's happening :D :D