British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   The Return of the Dyson (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/return-dyson-316307/)

movetoperth Jul 27th 2005 7:56 am

The Return of the Dyson

My dyson hoover has just come back from it's visit to the dyson doctor. We bought it just before we came here and a few weeks back it decided to pack in.

I called the repair shop and they quoted $75 to look at it and "at least $150" to repair it, but, recommended i call Dyson to check if it was still under warranty. I called them up and gave them the serial number and it was a month past the warranty date but they said they'd honour it. I dropped it off on friday and it was fixed by yesterday and delivered back to me today. Cost $17 for a new "aussie" cable and $10 to deliver it to me 35ks out of the city.

So..... the point of the story is that always check if your warrantly will be honoured on your UK purchased goods, you may save yourself a good few dollars :D

The down side is i now have no excuse not to do the hoovering and the house is a tip :eek:

Lynn

bridiej Jul 27th 2005 8:10 am

Re: The Return of the Dyson

Is it worth buying a Dyson then? Only Currys had them cheap but I thought most floors in Perth would be tiled....

Anne4Terry Jul 27th 2005 8:13 am

Originally Posted by bridiej
Is it worth buying a Dyson then? Only Currys had them cheap but I thought most floors in Perth would be tiled....

I luurve my Dyson, althought it is not as sturdy as the original one. Anyway, are they available in Australia and if so at what price or should I buy a new one here to take out with me? :confused: So many things to prioritise! :rolleyes:

bridiej Jul 27th 2005 8:34 am

Originally Posted by Anne4Terry
I luurve my Dyson, althought it is not as sturdy as the original one. Anyway, are they available in Australia and if so at what price or should I buy a new one here to take out with me? :confused: So many things to prioritise! :rolleyes:

I loved mine too, until it blew up! Same thing happened to my Mums! Would love another one and they had them on sale for £169 but dont want to spend out if it's not worth it...

fraser Jul 27th 2005 8:35 am

They always break down, they're badly made.

Wave the Sails Jul 27th 2005 8:41 am

I also love my Dyson and miss it hugely. Anglo Pacific had a bit of a mishap with it so it's bust. Hubby has a Henry which I HATE, so he does the vacuuming :D

fraser Jul 27th 2005 8:43 am

Originally Posted by The Jones Family
I also love my Dyson and miss it hugely. Anglo Pacific had a bit of a mishap with it so it's bust. Hubby has a Henry which I HATE, so he does the vacuuming :D

Henry is much better, but as you say it's a mans hoover but I let Rachel use it all the time :D

bridiej Jul 27th 2005 8:44 am

Originally Posted by fraser
Henry is much better, but as you say it's a mans hoover but I let Rachel use it all the time :D

You're too good to that girl! :rolleyes:

fraser Jul 27th 2005 8:48 am

I know :o ;)

PeteY Jul 27th 2005 8:48 am

Both my parents and inlaws have Dysons, and they havn't broken down. I am pretty sure they pick up more dust than anything else too. Scary how quick the thing fiulls up.

However.....i refuse to pay 800 bucks on a vacuum cleaner.

fraser Jul 27th 2005 8:50 am

Originally Posted by PeteY
Both my parents and inlaws have Dysons, and they havn't broken down. I am pretty sure they pick up more dust than anything else too. Scary how quick the thing fiulls up.

Are they all quite expensive in Oz?

markeh Jul 27th 2005 8:53 am

Originally Posted by PeteY

$800 for a dyson! :eek: :scared:

That's a shed load of money!
Cheaper to take one with you on the plane than pay that much.

I love watching all the muck that just appears in it. :D

Bye
Mark

Amazulu Jul 27th 2005 9:02 am

I cannot see the attraction of Dyson Vacuum cleaners. Sure they look good & work quite well, but they are not made very well, always break & are too heavy. We've had several & they all broke. Dyson have quite good after sales service though (guess they need it). We now have a Sebo, great German quality, very light & cleans well.

lucyb Jul 27th 2005 9:05 am

I have a Sebo http://www.sebo-vacuums.com/frameset.htm?dir=Products

and I swear its the best! Im a bit of a Monica and love cleaning and this is a hospital grade vacum and it really does suck! :D :p It better work in Oz!

PeteY Jul 27th 2005 9:06 am

Originally Posted by fraser
Are they all quite expensive in Oz?

Most of them are.

We are in the middle of trying to choose a Vacuum, and the local stores have Dysons at $600 for a little pull along, $800 for a bigger pull long or upright, and $900 for a fancy looking one that must make tea aswell.

We will probably get an LG one we have seen for $350. Bagless, 1800W. Good enough for me i reckon.