Return to Aus after No Tax Return

Return to Aus after No Tax Return

Old Apr 23rd 2005, 4:34 pm
ian
Ping Pom

ian is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Return to Aus after No Tax Return

Hi all
After plenty of mind changing we are looking to return to Australia early next year .

We returned to the UK after 10 months in July 2003 and did not do our tax returns for the simple reason of oversight (if we had submitted, we would have received a return).

Does anyone know if this will be a problem - and should we get in touch with the tax office before returning or wait until we get there?

Many thanks
ian
Old Apr 23rd 2005, 4:44 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Return to Aus after No Tax Return

Originally Posted by ian
Hi all
After plenty of mind changing we are looking to return to Australia early next year .

We returned to the UK after 10 months in July 2003 and did not do our tax returns for the simple reason of oversight (if we had submitted, we would have received a return).

Does anyone know if this will be a problem - and should we get in touch with the tax office before returning or wait until we get there?

Many thanks
ian
You should bring your tax affairs up to date (as soon as possible). Get some professional advice before doing so.

Are your visas still valid or do you have to reapply to migrate?

Jeremy
Old Apr 23rd 2005, 6:55 pm
ian
Ping Pom

Hi Jeremy
Thank you for replying.

Our visas are still valid, does that make any difference?

We just want to make sure that if we do return, then there will be no problems after we arrive.

Are you suggesting that we get in touch with the tax office, or an Australian accountant?

Thanks again for your help
ian

Originally Posted by JAJ
You should bring your tax affairs up to date (as soon as possible). Get some professional advice before doing so.

Are your visas still valid or do you have to reapply to migrate?

Jeremy

Last edited by ian; Apr 23rd 2005 at 8:30 pm.
Old Apr 24th 2005, 7:36 pm
Merlot

Originally Posted by ian
Hi Jeremy
Thank you for replying.

Our visas are still valid, does that make any difference?

We just want to make sure that if we do return, then there will be no problems after we arrive.

Are you suggesting that we get in touch with the tax office, or an Australian accountant?

Thanks again for your help
ian
If you have a good Accountant in Oz, use them, even though there is a cost it can take away some pressure.

I used one to sort out my first year in Oz, with the whole visa thing at the time going from a Working Holiday Visa to a Temp Spouse Visa there were grey areas. The Tax Office hit me with a rather large tax bill but the Accountant did a great 3 page letter quoting various laws/regulations and bingo I got a rebate. Not saying this would happen to you but nice to have an insider on your side.

I would certainly inbetween time pick the brains of the ATO.

Good luck
Merlot

Old Apr 25th 2005, 8:45 pm
ian
Ping Pom

Hi Merlot
Thank you for your reply.

We didn't have an accountant whilst in Aus, so I will contact the ATO and see what they say.

I'll post their response incase anybody else is in (or finds themselves in) this situation.

Thanks again
ian
Originally Posted by Merlot
If you have a good Accountant in Oz, use them, even though there is a cost it can take away some pressure.

I used one to sort out my first year in Oz, with the whole visa thing at the time going from a Working Holiday Visa to a Temp Spouse Visa there were grey areas. The Tax Office hit me with a rather large tax bill but the Accountant did a great 3 page letter quoting various laws/regulations and bingo I got a rebate. Not saying this would happen to you but nice to have an insider on your side.

I would certainly inbetween time pick the brains of the ATO.

Good luck
Merlot
Old Apr 25th 2005, 8:58 pm
Merlot

Originally Posted by ian
Hi Merlot
Thank you for your reply.

We didn't have an accountant whilst in Aus, so I will contact the ATO and see what they say.

I'll post their response incase anybody else is in (or finds themselves in) this situation.

Thanks again
ian
That would be great.

M