Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Retrospectively claiming residency for WH taxback?

Retrospectively claiming residency for WH taxback?

Old Jun 8th 2014, 7:20 am
Just Joined

GlynG is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Retrospectively claiming residency for WH taxback?

I'm looking for some advice on if I can claim tax back after spending a couple of years in Oz on a working holiday 2012-13. I lived for just over 6 months in Sydney, but at a few different addresses. I stayed longer than I thought and misunderstood how residency was determined at the time, believing it needed to be one particular address for the time, so I put myself down as non-resident. I've now discovered and confirmed from the ATO website that 6 months in Sydney should have qualified me as a resident.

Can I claim taxback for the 2011-2012 tax year and change my residency status retrospectively? I didn't do a tax return while in Oz. Do I actually have to prove I lived in Sydney for the period (not possible for me I was mostly paying cash to live somewhere officially I shouldn't have been living) or can I just state that I was and hope it goes through without me being asked to prove it? If I can would I be best/easiest in my situation to use a taxback company or attempt to do it myself?

I worked for 4 ½ months for a charity in Sydney and the around $3,300 in tax would be really handy now as I'm nearly much in credit card debt...

Last edited by GlynG; Jun 8th 2014 at 7:22 am.
Old Jun 8th 2014, 10:50 am
BE Forum Addict

Tramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Retrospectively claiming residency for WH taxback?

Paye tax works differently in Oz than the UK. You get your tax free allowance pro-rata as opposed to the full allowance for a part year in the UK. You may find there's little tax to claim back.

You would probably be best using an Australian accountant and will need your year end forms you received upon leaving employment and maybe payslips..
Old Jun 10th 2014, 10:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Tax residency is not determined conclusively by a six month rule or similar, this is simply a guideline. Tax residency is about intent to stay, something which I think would be very difficult to prove retrospectively, considering 4.5 months of work and that you did leave..

But worst that can happen is you are refused, I just wouldn't be counting any chickens just yet.
Old Jun 10th 2014, 1:14 pm
Forum Regular

StSabre is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Tramps_mate
Paye tax works differently in Oz than the UK. You get your tax free allowance pro-rata as opposed to the full allowance for a part year in the UK. You may find there's little tax to claim back.

You would probably be best using an Australian accountant and will need your year end forms you received upon leaving employment and maybe payslips..
The reason the OP is asking is that as a non-resident he would not have got any tax-free allowance, and instead would have paid 32.5% from the first dollar onwards.

The tax-free allowance in Australia is not purely pro-rata. Instead you get (for 2013-4) $13,464 plus $394.67 per month you were resident.