Retirement visa

Old May 25th 2004, 8:26 am
Forum Regular

bermudaby is just really nicebermudaby is just really nicebermudaby is just really nicebermudaby is just really nicebermudaby is just really nicebermudaby is just really nicebermudaby is just really nicebermudaby is just really nice
Default Retirement visa

Has anyone had experience of moving to Australia with a retirement visa? If so, how long/complicated is the procedure? Tks for any info/advice.
Old May 25th 2004, 8:57 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Retirement visa

Originally posted by bermudaby
Has anyone had experience of moving to Australia with a retirement visa? If so, how long/complicated is the procedure? Tks for any info/advice.
Hi
The financial requirements have changed recently.
It is fairly straightforward but is only ever temporary. Initially for 4 years and then has to be renewed every 2 years.
You are not entitled to medicare or benefits and have to have private medical insurance.
There is also talk of the current visa (410) altering again in the near future.
Try the immigration website:

www.immi.gov.au

Good luck

G
Old May 25th 2004, 7:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

lesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond repute

As G says, fairly straightforward.
We applied late Dec and got visas in April. It would have been faster if my medical hadn't been refered to Sydney (high blood pressure and depression).
We have needed much more time to sort our way through tax and financial implications......
Medical insurance is costing us $5000 for both of us for a year (best we could find), which is actually less than we are paying PPP here. It even includes some dental and some optitians' fees - all of which we pay for privately here.

It looks like the rules may change on July 1, so apply soon or risk the unknown.

Good luck

Lesley
Old May 25th 2004, 8:35 pm
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by lesleys
high blood pressure and depression

Lesley
Lesley, first, don't worry so much. Life ain't so bad.

Second: exercise, less red meat, cool it in your life.

Hope it helped.

Doctor Don
Old May 25th 2004, 10:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

Paylia is just really nicePaylia is just really nicePaylia is just really nicePaylia is just really nicePaylia is just really nicePaylia is just really nicePaylia is just really nicePaylia is just really nice

Hi

The expected change to Visa 410 will most probably be Nov this year ( not guaranteed) when it will be scrapped and replaced by the "rural" visa - it is rumored.
Until then all being well the existing 410 requires either capital of $850k or capital of?$550k and income of $55k.
You also need medicals and police checks.
If the change comes in to rural visa then in addition to above you will have to reside in rural areas and lodge bond of $500k with the state which will earn interest but is not returned until you leave Australia. There will be no option for permanent residency.

Some of this is still speculation - but its the most accurate speculation that I can assemble - I have vested interest in this as I am applying for 410 as we speak.

If you dont like the changes you need to apply soon to avoid them. Future changes are usually(but not always) announced a couple of weeks prior to being put into effect.
So get your finances proved soon, medicals take about 3 weeks - booking in and receiving results, police checks not more than 40 days by statute - ours took 14 days.

Hope this lot helps
:lecture:

Peter
Old May 26th 2004, 7:51 am
Forum Regular

bermudaby is just really nicebermudaby is just really nicebermudaby is just really nicebermudaby is just really nicebermudaby is just really nicebermudaby is just really nicebermudaby is just really nicebermudaby is just really nice

Many thanks for replies to my post ref retirement visas. The new ones sound quite draconian! Might be easier to buy a property and just go for a few months visit! Last time we went our passports were stamped for 6 months, assume this is standard?
Old May 26th 2004, 8:02 am
o_0

Peter will become famous soon enough

Many thanks for replies to my post ref retirement visas. The new ones sound quite draconian! Might be easier to buy a property and just go for a few months visit! Last time we went our passports were stamped for 6 months, assume this is standard?
No, you would've had to apply for a long stay visa. The standard visitor visa is 3 months.

If you're eligible, get an ETA.
Old Jun 7th 2004, 9:25 pm
Forum Regular

HugoB has a spectacular aura aboutHugoB has a spectacular aura aboutHugoB has a spectacular aura about

Hiya, can I ask about your 410 application?
Applying for it before it is replaced sounds sensible if the new IRV is as bad as it sounds it might be..(my folks may think about this too)..but what happens after the initial 4 yrs, will you still be able to apply for another 2 if there is no 410 by then? I suppose this must be possible as there are loads of retirees already out there on this visa who surely won't just have to head home!
Also, do you have to transfer the capital to Aus before the visa is granted, or merely prove (by way of bank statement, assests ?) that the funds are availbale?

Cheers for you help,

HB x
Old Jun 7th 2004, 9:40 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by HugoB
Applying for it before it is replaced sounds sensible if the new IRV is as bad as it sounds it might be..(my folks may think about this too)..but what happens after the initial 4 yrs, will you still be able to apply for another 2 if there is no 410 by then? I suppose this must be possible as there are loads of retirees already out there on this visa who surely won't just have to head home!
Also, do you have to transfer the capital to Aus before the visa is granted, or merely prove (by way of bank statement, assests ?) that the funds are availbale?

Cheers for you help,

HB x
As far as I can remember there was a thread about this a while ago.
Existing visas should not be affected and no one will be turned down on renewal due to changes in health status etc.(not sure if health insurance companies will agree though ).

I may be wrong and will stand corrected if anyone knows better.

G
Old Jun 7th 2004, 10:14 pm
too busy to work members

yafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really nice

Renting nice properties is easy but you cannot buy without the 410 visa unless it is a BRAND NEW property that has never been even slept in and is only 50% of the builders work and then you need a permit from the givernment as well - they call it foreign investment. This takes about 2/3 weeks but we got ours in 10 days by phone and fax.
You would get a visitors visa otherwise that ytou have to leave the country after 6 months and then cxan return I think for the second 6 months. (OI stand to be corrected)
Old Jun 7th 2004, 10:18 pm
too busy to work members

yafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really nice

Originally posted by HugoB

Cheers for you help,

HB x
The standard rules appear to be that you must comply with the same rules that you got the original visa 410 on - as there are at present 3 levels of 410 visa's as they have moved the goal posts over the past 5 years.
The only drawback to most of us is the fact that you have to have a police check in any country that you have visited during the past 4 (or 2 on the mnext renewal ) years IF YOU HAVE PREVIOUSLY LIVED IN THAT COUNTRY FOR 12 MONTHS. So for most of us it only means another uk police check although several posted have come via Malaya or Singapore so they would have to do the same there if they have revisited the place
Old Jun 7th 2004, 10:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

Paylia is just really nicePaylia is just really nicePaylia is just really nicePaylia is just really nicePaylia is just really nicePaylia is just really nicePaylia is just really nicePaylia is just really nice

Originally posted by yafm
The standard rules appear to be that you must comply with the same rules that you got the original visa 410 on - as there are at present 3 levels of 410 visa's as they have moved the goal posts over the past 5 years.
The only drawback to most of us is the fact that you have to have a police check in any country that you have visited during the past 4 (or 2 on the mnext renewal ) years IF YOU HAVE PREVIOUSLY LIVED IN THAT COUNTRY FOR 12 MONTHS. So for most of us it only means another uk police check although several posted have come via Malaya or Singapore so they would have to do the same there if they have revisited the place

Yes - I believe the renewal criteria for 410 even after these are no longer issued de novo will be the same as the initial criteria, except you will not have to re-prove finances(other than to sign to say that you have not received any state benefits in the interim) and you may have to show that you haven't developed Tb etc ( even then you would not be refused just ordered to have surveillance and or treatment - unlikely that any other development of illness would preclude renewal)

With regard to proving finances for initial application of 410 visa - you have to show that you have the finances which are available for transfer - not actually transfered - ie statements and valuation of investments which need to be on headed and signed letters and if sending copies they need to be certified as genuine copies by a commissioner of oaths, magistrate etc.

I am not sure about the police checks on renewal of 410 - I thought that you only needed a further police check from any country you had stayed in for more than a certain time ( possibly more than 3 months) That way the odd visit back to the UK for a couple of months shouldn't be a problem - I stand to be corrected if anyone has more accurate info.

Cheers
Peter
Old Jun 7th 2004, 11:11 pm
Tupperware's #1 fan

JayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud of

Originally posted by Paylia
Yes - I believe the renewal criteria for 410 even after these are no longer issued de novo will be the same as the initial criteria, except you will not have to re-prove finances(other than to sign to say that you have not received any state benefits in the interim) and you may have to show that you haven't developed Tb etc ( even then you would not be refused just ordered to have surveillance and or treatment - unlikely that any other development of illness would preclude renewal)

With regard to proving finances for initial application of 410 visa - you have to show that you have the finances which are available for transfer - not actually transfered - ie statements and valuation of investments which need to be on headed and signed letters and if sending copies they need to be certified as genuine copies by a commissioner of oaths, magistrate etc.

I am not sure about the police checks on renewal of 410 - I thought that you only needed a further police check from any country you had stayed in for more than a certain time ( possibly more than 3 months) That way the odd visit back to the UK for a couple of months shouldn't be a problem - I stand to be corrected if anyone has more accurate info.

Cheers
Peter

I am hoping that a few years after my hubby and I settle my dad will come and join us on a retirement visa. (big time daddy's girl)the only prob I can see as he has a house to sell etc so can get the money together is that he had an opp 7 years ago and it went a bit wrong (have to be carefull here cos the doctor cocked up, cut a hole in the wrong place and he has since then had to have about 50 opps to put it as right as poss and will never be normal). He would obviously get privalte medical care which he has here with PPP. Are PPP in australia and can he transfer his medical insurance?

do Australian private medical companies have the same rules as us where all medical conditions in the 2 years running up to taking a policy out get excluded.

Cheers
Kala
Old Jun 7th 2004, 11:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by kala
I am hoping that a few years after my hubby and I settle my dad will come and join us on a retirement visa. (big time daddy's girl)the only prob I can see as he has a house to sell etc so can get the money together is that he had an opp 7 years ago and it went a bit wrong (have to be carefull here cos the doctor cocked up, cut a hole in the wrong place and he has since then had to have about 50 opps to put it as right as poss and will never be normal). He would obviously get privalte medical care which he has here with PPP. Are PPP in australia and can he transfer his medical insurance?

do Australian private medical companies have the same rules as us where all medical conditions in the 2 years running up to taking a policy out get excluded.

Cheers
Kala
Yes on a retirement visa you got to have full medical insurance - that is always available but if you got something ongoing that needs treatment it will come at a price

Peter
Old Jun 7th 2004, 11:20 pm
Tupperware's #1 fan

JayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud of

Originally posted by Paylia
Yes on a retirement visa you got to have full medical insurance - that is always available but if you got something ongoing that needs treatment it will come at a price

Peter
Have to finally talk him into sueing the W*"#@r surgeon then (excuse the language but it does pee me off)

Cheers
Kala

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.