Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Retirement Medical Cover

Retirement Medical Cover

Old Nov 13th 2004, 8:38 am
Life is good

claire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to all
Default Retirement Medical Cover

Hello,

Can anyone advise me..... does anyone have recommended companies that my parents should use as medical cover for their retirement visa in Australia - and what sort of cover they should have.

They are currently covered by Bupa (UK) - is this transferable? I'm sure I read somewhere that the medical cover needs to be with an Australian company.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Cheers

Claire

Last edited by claire edwards; Nov 13th 2004 at 8:47 am.
Old Nov 13th 2004, 9:05 am
BE Forum Addict

lesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Retirement Medical Cover

We chose Medibank Private after a fair bit of research. Retirement visa holders need to find 'Overseas Visitors Cover' and not all Aus health insurers provide it, but it must be with an Aus company for the visa. Australian Unity is another company. Request their brochures and read carefully to make sure you get what suits your parents' personal circumstances.

Lesley
Old Nov 13th 2004, 9:46 am
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Retirement Medical Cover

Claire,

Their choice is likely to be Australian Unity or Medibank Private (as already mentioned). Cover must be for at least 12 months to be acceptable to the Australian High Commission; Aus Unity are the cheaper of the two companies I believe, but that doesn't mean the cover from that health provider is appropriate for their circumstances.

In other words there are two issues:

1. Which health funds will facilitate the grant of a Retirement visa?
2. What private health arrangements best suit your parents' situation?

The answer to these two questions may indicate that one health fund is chosen initially, with a transfer to another fund or level of cover taking place once they have arrived in Australia.

I can give you the contact details for a consultancy that deals with this sort of issue if you want to send me an email or a Private Message.

Best regards.

Originally Posted by claire edwards
Hello,

Can anyone advise me..... does anyone have recommended companies that my parents should use as medical cover for their retirement visa in Australia - and what sort of cover they should have.

They are currently covered by Bupa (UK) - is this transferable? I'm sure I read somewhere that the medical cover needs to be with an Australian company.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Cheers

Claire