British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Retirement (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/retirement-120268/)

arid Dec 3rd 2002 11:29 am

Retirement

I’m a recent addition to the Forum and have read the various messages on the OZ / NZ board for the past couple of weeks and must say, some are very entertaining; better than watching the cricket!!! Anyway I did not realize that so many people are escaping from the UK for whatever reason. It also may be interesting to hear why PB was sent to Oz in the first place! I mean immigrated.

Having worked overseas during the past 35-years in various countries, some of which have been far more hostile than the UK or Australia, some a lot closer to paradise than the UK and although I mention Australia, my last visit to WA was in 1970, so I’m no expert. What I can say however is that you will not be able to fully appreciate anywhere unless you give it your best shot and the time. For the men folk (who are married) and yes I am one, keeping the little lady happy is of prime importance, without their support you are doomed. Making friends (this is usually achieved quickly and easily through children) and becoming members of local societies or clubs as soon as possible is very important. This gives ready access to information on the area of your choice or as the case may be, not your choice. Either way it will help to establish roots and become part of the community.

Most of the postings that I have read are from those who are looking for a new experience in life with regards to both work and lifestyle and seem to be from those who have already or are in the process, or would like to make the move. However, I see very little from those who have emigrated or would like to for retirement purposes; are there any..?

Yes, retirement is not far off and where to call home is now on the agenda. Our requirements are slightly different to most of the postings, as work is not a requirement or is schooling. We are considering Australia as one of many options, but where in Australia; that is the question. Heat does not affect us too much as we have lived in 40 –50 deg C summers for many years including the humidity part. Having said that, a more pleasant set of elements will be most welcome as the golf courses and sailing beckons.

My question to all those wishing to contribute is, which coast and what region would you recommend for retirement and why? We are still active and sports oriented and not looking for sheltered communities at this stage.

Look forward to all replies…!

Sandra Dec 3rd 2002 11:54 am

My Vote for Retirement Place (Ah I wish) - the Central Coast NSW - above Sydney, below Newcastle, close to both, for future travel close enough but peace at an affordable price. Don't have to retire there you can expand.

When we came to Aus nearly 5 years ago on holiday we stayed for a little bit above Newcastle in Annabay, part of Port Stephens area (also fantastic). Just feel lower down has all the same comforts plus the availability of large metro areas for diversion. You can drive North Sydney - Newcastle in 2 - 2.5 hours so maybe I will change my vote to Port Stephens, ah now you have me wishing my retirement was closer.

Believe it or not when we looked at this area in the world at 34/35 years of age (and we have travelled) was - bloody lovely place to spend out the latter years. We are now back working hard in Sydney to afford our later dream!!! Well somewhat we are also enjoying lots of living for today...the wine is wonderful!

Have fun looking

Stan J Dec 3rd 2002 2:49 pm

With another twenty odd years before my retirement I'd say you'd want to be looking at a community that has a Supermarket (Coles, Woolworths etc) rather than just a 7-11 and probably within 200km drive of a decent sized city for those once in a blue moon things.

So here's a few suggestions Magnetic Island (off Townsville), Cannonvale / Airlie Beach (the Whitsundays), Yepoon (near Rocky), Sunshine Coast (Noosa thru Caloundra), the Gold Coast (outside of Surfers Paradise proper), Kingscliff (just below the QLD-NSW border), Byron Bay, Coffs Harbour, Port Macquarie, Port Stephens

... maybe Rockingham / Bussleton / Bunbury south of Perth

Herman Dec 3rd 2002 9:27 pm

Re: Retirement

Originally posted by arid
I’m a recent addition to the Forum and have read the various messages on the OZ / NZ board for the past couple of weeks and must say, some are very entertaining; better than watching the cricket!!! Anyway I did not realize that so many people are escaping from the UK for whatever reason. It also may be interesting to hear why PB was sent to Oz in the first place! I mean immigrated.

Having worked overseas during the past 35-years in various countries, some of which have been far more hostile than the UK or Australia, some a lot closer to paradise than the UK and although I mention Australia, my last visit to WA was in 1970, so I’m no expert. What I can say however is that you will not be able to fully appreciate anywhere unless you give it your best shot and the time. For the men folk (who are married) and yes I am one, keeping the little lady happy is of prime importance, without their support you are doomed. Making friends (this is usually achieved quickly and easily through children) and becoming members of local societies or clubs as soon as possible is very important. This gives ready access to information on the area of your choice or as the case may be, not your choice. Either way it will help to establish roots and become part of the community.

Most of the postings that I have read are from those who are looking for a new experience in life with regards to both work and lifestyle and seem to be from those who have already or are in the process, or would like to make the move. However, I see very little from those who have emigrated or would like to for retirement purposes; are there any..?

Yes, retirement is not far off and where to call home is now on the agenda. Our requirements are slightly different to most of the postings, as work is not a requirement or is schooling. We are considering Australia as one of many options, but where in Australia; that is the question. Heat does not affect us too much as we have lived in 40 –50 deg C summers for many years including the humidity part. Having said that, a more pleasant set of elements will be most welcome as the golf courses and sailing beckons.

My question to all those wishing to contribute is, which coast and what region would you recommend for retirement and why? We are still active and sports oriented and not looking for sheltered communities at this stage.

Look forward to all replies…!

I agree with Sandra. We loved the Port Stephens area. Although in 30 years time when we get to retirement age it'll be part of greater Sydney the rate Sydney is growing! Its a lovely part of the world with great climate, close to the Hunter Valley and near enough to Sydney with its bright lights, airport etc etc.

Nothing to do with Australia but - another option we joke about is going back to the Czech Republic where my wife is from. We calculated that we have enough savings to buy a 3 bedroom house in the country on the beautiful Austrian border and retire now, me aged 32 and my wife 29! A reasonable house can be picked up for 750,000Kc (15,000 pounds) and the cost of living is so low there we could live comfortably off the 7,000 pounds a year interest we would earn from our remaining savings. In fact, we'd be earning well above the average wage. Tempting as it is, somehow I feel that I am not quite ready for retirement after just 10 years work but my wife seems to be deadly serious about doing it!

My parents looked into retiring to Australia, having just turned 60 and retiring this year. They came to the conclusion they would prefer to rent an apartment in Australia for 3 months of the year (Jan to March) than buy a place and settle permanently.

arid Dec 4th 2002 5:59 pm

Many thanks for the response….