Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Retired? What do you do to keep busy?

Retired? What do you do to keep busy?

Old Mar 21st 2007, 9:22 pm
Just Joined

CASPER99 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Retired? What do you do to keep busy?

Hi there

I am asking this question to try to get an idea of what it would be like for my parents if they came out to oz to live (they are 66 and 71).

My mam is a very keen bowler (the grass type) and my Dad is Irish and is very sociable.

What I want to know is what is there for them to do? Also where would they go for holidays? They are used to going to Tenerife and Spain and they have just got in to caribbean cruising. They are not really sure if they want to emigrate (as we are still making our minds up too) but I want to know that they will have a good retirement (I know this is down to personal taste etc).

Also out of the retirees who have come out on a contributory parent visa to be with their children and grandchildren, how many were not keen on the idea but came out because they couldnt bear to be without their child/children and how many now are wishing they did it years ago?

Can anyone give me any advice?
Old Mar 21st 2007, 9:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

WESTLY has much to be proud ofWESTLY has much to be proud ofWESTLY has much to be proud ofWESTLY has much to be proud ofWESTLY has much to be proud ofWESTLY has much to be proud ofWESTLY has much to be proud ofWESTLY has much to be proud ofWESTLY has much to be proud ofWESTLY has much to be proud ofWESTLY has much to be proud of
Default Re: Retired? What do you do to keep busy?

Originally Posted by CASPER99
Hi there

I am asking this question to try to get an idea of what it would be like for my parents if they came out to oz to live (they are 66 and 71).

My mam is a very keen bowler (the grass type) and my Dad is Irish and is very sociable.

What I want to know is what is there for them to do? Also where would they go for holidays? They are used to going to Tenerife and Spain and they have just got in to caribbean cruising. They are not really sure if they want to emigrate (as we are still making our minds up too) but I want to know that they will have a good retirement (I know this is down to personal taste etc).

Also out of the retirees who have come out on a contributory parent visa to be with their children and grandchildren, how many were not keen on the idea but came out because they couldnt bear to be without their child/children and how many now are wishing they did it years ago?

Try a visitor visa.
Old Mar 22nd 2007, 12:32 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

We came out on CP visas and have just got citzenship. There's a lot to do and the weather makes it much more pleasant to be doing the outside things like golf and bowls. In winter the frost here is usually gone by 10am and it doesn't stop you doing anything.
Old Mar 22nd 2007, 1:51 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CASPER99
Hi there

There are more bowling clubs here that you can poke a stick at. Every suburb has one. As a sport, it's even popular with young people nowadays - I've seen huge crowds at the barefoot bowling sessions which are aimed at getting a younger demographic involved.

When you live here you're immediately released from having to take your holidays somewhere sunny. No need to go to Spain or Tenerife to get a cheap fix of sun and sand any more. You can take the time instead to explore different places locally (outback, mountains, rivers). You can drive everywhere - the first thing we're planning to do when we retire is drive right around the country and see all the places we've missed so far.

In the unlikely event that you run out of things to do within Australia, there's always Lord Howe, Norfolk, New Zealand, Fiji, Bali, Singapore, Thailand, Vanuatu, New Caledonia, Tahiti, Hawaii, Cook Islands, Indonesia, Malaysia, Vietnam, Hong Kong - all within an 8-hour flight or so.

Last edited by NickyC; Mar 22nd 2007 at 1:54 am.
Old Mar 22nd 2007, 1:48 pm
SharonC

sharon_gareth is an unknown quantity at this point

I walk my dog each morning with a senior over here (well she is in her early 60's) amd she is always talking about the trips and activities organised locally for the seniros. All at discounted rates too. From what I can gather you wont find the time to be bored.
Old Mar 22nd 2007, 6:31 pm
Just Joined

CASPER99 is an unknown quantity at this point

thanks for your replies.

Much appreciated
Old Mar 22nd 2007, 8:48 pm
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sharon_gareth
I walk my dog each morning with a senior over here (well she is in her early 60's) amd she is always talking about the trips and activities organised locally for the seniros. All at discounted rates too. From what I can gather you wont find the time to be bored.
I'd forgotten about the discounts!

In NSW seniors get a day's travel on the rail, bus and ferry services for $2.50. You can go from Bowral to Newcastle and back.

Nice to get *some* return for the hundreds of thousands of tax paid over the years, even when most of it went to Gordon!