Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Restricted items

Restricted items

Old Apr 28th 2006, 6:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

andicee is just really niceandicee is just really niceandicee is just really niceandicee is just really niceandicee is just really niceandicee is just really niceandicee is just really niceandicee is just really nice
Default Restricted items

Hi guys

well visa app finally off but owing to delay at Heathrow and bank holiday Monday the agent won't get it now til Tuesday I expect. Ho hum.

ANYWAY, just making ANOTHER list and have a few ?'s I can't find the answer to anywhere else.

Worth taking lawnmower or not? I know there was a post about this but can't find it.

Have an extensive collection of camping equipment which will be going with. However, there are quite a few knives in this collection. You know, 'camping' knives. Anyone have any views on whether or not I'll get any grief over this?

Also, I also have quite a few MRE's (meals ready to eat). You know, British Army rations. Used for backpacking and the like. Will these cause a problem. I've looked at the restricted items for import list at DIMIA but not sure if they count.

TIA

Andy
Old Apr 28th 2006, 7:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

andicee is just really niceandicee is just really niceandicee is just really niceandicee is just really niceandicee is just really niceandicee is just really niceandicee is just really niceandicee is just really nice
Default Re: Restricted items

Originally Posted by andicee
Hi guys

well visa app finally off but owing to delay at Heathrow and bank holiday Monday the agent won't get it now til Tuesday I expect. Ho hum.

ANYWAY, just making ANOTHER list and have a few ?'s I can't find the answer to anywhere else.

Worth taking lawnmower or not? I know there was a post about this but can't find it.

Have an extensive collection of camping equipment which will be going with. However, there are quite a few knives in this collection. You know, 'camping' knives. Anyone have any views on whether or not I'll get any grief over this?

Also, I also have quite a few MRE's (meals ready to eat). You know, British Army rations. Used for backpacking and the like. Will these cause a problem. I've looked at the restricted items for import list at DIMIA but not sure if they count.

TIA

Andy
Right, decided to classify the MRE's as packaged meals so got the answer to that one. Unless anyone knows better I'll declare 'em.

Still don't know about the other two tho, and being as no-one's talking to me I'm off to down the pub for a Stella or eight.

Does this count as talking to yourself??

Andy
Old Apr 28th 2006, 8:13 pm
Never going back

Sleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond repute

Right, decided to classify the MRE's as packaged meals so got the answer to that one. Unless anyone knows better I'll declare 'em.

Still don't know about the other two tho, and being as no-one's talking to me I'm off to down the pub for a Stella or eight.

Andy
i try and answer one of them andy, 'cos i feel sorry for you

my brother, who lives in aus, told us to take lawnmower as they are really expensive over there. dont know how true this is?

did you enjoy the stelar (said in a strong manc accent)?
Old Apr 28th 2006, 8:20 pm
Livin it large

Mctree has a brilliant futureMctree has a brilliant futureMctree has a brilliant futureMctree has a brilliant futureMctree has a brilliant futureMctree has a brilliant futureMctree has a brilliant futureMctree has a brilliant future

Andy
I think with knives it depends on the length. I was informed (by Australian customs) that I couldn't take a couple of Omani khanjars, because they were under 12". If I really wanted to bring them, it would mean getting a police Clearance from the Australian State I would be living in.

Found the whole thing very odd, as my kitchen knives seem to be okay
Old Apr 28th 2006, 9:25 pm
Banned

232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute

We brought all the camping gear apart from the pegs (couldn't be a**ed to clean them off). Lawnmover and stimmer were left there and replaced with the same over here (4 stroke self propelled Honda cutter, and 4 stroke straight shaft Hoda strimmer) for $1800, so actually a bit less than we paid in the UK. In terms of knives, we brought a World War 1 bayonnet, 2 full size dive knives, 2 smaller backup dive knives and had no problems at all - we did declare them on the shipping form.
Old Apr 28th 2006, 10:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Sleeping Beauty
i try and answer one of them andy, 'cos i feel sorry for you

my brother, who lives in aus, told us to take lawnmower as they are really expensive over there. dont know how true this is?

did you enjoy the stelar (said in a strong manc accent)?
Yeahhhhhhhhhhh!

Just staggered back

Old Apr 28th 2006, 10:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 232Bar
We brought all the camping gear apart from the pegs (couldn't be a**ed to clean them off). Lawnmover and stimmer were left there and replaced with the same over here (4 stroke self propelled Honda cutter, and 4 stroke straight shaft Hoda strimmer) for $1800, so actually a bit less than we paid in the UK. In terms of knives, we brought a World War 1 bayonnet, 2 full size dive knives, 2 smaller backup dive knives and had no problems at all - we did declare them on the shipping form.
Bit pi**ed but did they check them?
Old May 13th 2006, 7:13 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: in a place near the river and the sea where the sun always shines
debbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond repute

whats the addy for the customs site anyone please
Old May 13th 2006, 7:41 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by debbiemc
whats the addy for the customs site anyone please
www.aqis.gov.au
Old May 13th 2006, 8:22 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: in a place near the river and the sea where the sun always shines
debbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana

thanks pollyanna much appreciated