Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Restaurant suggestions, Brisbane......

Restaurant suggestions, Brisbane......

Old Jul 19th 2011, 10:58 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Restaurant suggestions, Brisbane......

Open for suggestions..... Reasonable/ mid price restaurants, in the CBD, South Bank, James Street ..... not for me but for another BE-er I'm out with, needs somewhere for some friends in a week or so.

Chance for the Brisbane fans to boast about their fave restaurants .....
Old Jul 19th 2011, 11:13 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Restaurant suggestions, Brisbane......

Cornish pasty in the Queens Street market.
Old Jul 19th 2011, 11:25 am
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bix
Cornish pasty in the Queens Street market.

Not quite what they are after though!!
Old Jul 19th 2011, 11:50 am
BE Forum Addict

debsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Pollyana

Not quite what they are after though!!
My friend Hasan owns a lovely Turkish restaurant on the Southbank called "Mado". The food is delicious. My favourite is the adana kebab. Definately worth a try http://madorestaurant.com.au/
Have a look at the website - there is a belly dancer at weekends.
Old Jul 19th 2011, 11:56 am
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by debsy
My friend Hasan owns a lovely Turkish restaurant on the Southbank called "Mado". The food is delicious. My favourite is the adana kebab. Definately worth a try http://madorestaurant.com.au/
Have a look at the website - there is a belly dancer at weekends.
Cheers Debsy, good to see you're still on here That might be a good one for them to try - new to Brisbane, like a good variety of food by the sound of it, and need somewhere new to take their mates.
Also struck me when we were talking about it that we hadn't had a thread like this on Brisbane for ages, so lots of us might benefit
Old Jul 19th 2011, 12:09 pm
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

Open for suggestions..... Reasonable/ mid price restaurants, in the CBD, South Bank, James Street ..... not for me but for another BE-er I'm out with, needs somewhere for some friends in a week or so.

probably a little bit more expensive than mid-price, but the lab bar & restaurant in the treasury hotel is pretty nice. Mains are approx $30 - $35 I think.

Not on James street, but on Brunswick street there is an excellent Indonesian restaurant called Jakarta. Prices are very good.

Another restaurant that does very very tasty food is Eve's on the river at teneriffe. Service was very poor last time I was there though....

How about freestyle tout at emporium, the valley..... that is pretty reasonably priced with a very nice dessert menu.
Old Jul 19th 2011, 12:18 pm
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by asprilla
probably a little bit more expensive than mid-price, but the lab bar & restaurant in the treasury hotel is pretty nice. Mains are approx $30 - $35 I think.

Not on James street, but on Brunswick street there is an excellent Indonesian restaurant called Jakarta. Prices are very good.

Another restaurant that does very very tasty food is Eve's on the river at teneriffe. Service was very poor last time I was there though....

How about freestyle tout at emporium, the valley..... that is pretty reasonably priced with a very nice dessert menu.
Oooh thats one of the few places I have eaten out in Brisbane, Freestyle Tout, we did a works Christmas desert party there.......whipped cream and raspberries to die for
Old Jul 19th 2011, 3:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

None in the places you asked for but if flexible could try:
- gunshop cafe at west end
- bistro alegria at park road
- bali grill at rosalie
- my thai at auchenflower
- if down near james st I would go to campos for lunch
Old Jul 19th 2011, 9:27 pm
Almost more Oz than Pom

KJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond repute

last Friday we went to Jo-Jo's in the Queen St Mall. Very busy and a bit noisy, but the food was excellent. Can't say the same for the service, but we did get free desserts and coffee after we complained (one main came before the entrees, the other two mains came while we were still eating the entrees, and my medium rare steak had to go back as it was well done).

But as I say, the food (when it arrived) was excellent and reasonably priced.

Perhaps this isn't the best recommendation I could give!
Old Jul 20th 2011, 5:45 am
Forum Regular

Brisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to behold

Personally I'm not a fan of eating in shopping centres or some shairs on a pavement on the edge of a carpark.

I'd vote for Groove Train on Eagle Street Pier myself. It's on the river but has lots of mains under $20 and a view of Story Bridge. Then you can take the city cat to Merthyr bowls club and get shedded.
Old Jul 20th 2011, 9:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Location: north east england to south east queensland(cleveland in fact )WE WON THE CUP
bobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond repute

Wouldn't hesitate on recommending these places

Fridays on Eagle Street Pier
Hotel Bravo (bar-b-q) in the Valley
Sardar Rosoi (service was a tad slow tho').....Best Indian we've had in the city i'd say
Flames up at Milton
Kingsleys on Eagle Street Pier

But the best value for money regarding food/silver service we've had since landing has to be The Courthouse Restaurant on our doorstep in Cleveland If there's a bunch of you they even have a 3hr drinks package available for $25/ person
Old Jul 21st 2011, 1:25 am
Forum Regular

Brisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Brisneyland
Personally I'm not a fan of eating in shopping centres or some shairs on a pavement on the edge of a carpark.
Sorry, just read that back and it sounds very pompus, It wasn't meant to be.

For Thai I recomend Chang Thai on Brunswick next to that Nepalese place with the prayer flags.
Old Jul 21st 2011, 2:06 am
...giving optimism a go?!

DadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud of

Out of the way and nto cheap by any means - but food to DIE for..... best food I've had since..?? ... ever? (perhaps?)

http://www.azafran.com.au/

I havent done the full 'degustation' thing there yet $135! - but weekday $50 for 3 courses is totaly awesome.

Last edited by DadAgain; Jul 21st 2011 at 2:08 am.