Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

In Response to the Negativity..

In Response to the Negativity..

Old Feb 19th 2006, 1:35 am
BE Enthusiast

Dicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up In Response to the Negativity..

Hi People,
I don't post as often as I used to, due mainly to repeated threads and a lot of people getting hung up on the price of Groceries etc,
Anyway in response to this I thought I would put my slant on it, Here goes:
Last Night me and the family headed down to Broadbeach for a Free yes Free, not a cent (converted back to sterling would still be free) concert and firework show. Didn't pay to park either :scared:
What a fantastic atmosphere hundreds of families & friends just sitting in the park having a picnic, the odd beer, a laugh and generally spending quality time with their loved ones. There was not one sign of trouble, no yobos trying to spoil it for everyone else, nothing just everyone enjoying it.
It really was brilliant, now we have been here 10 months now and this is the sort of thing that happens quite often.
My point is: I don't mind spending the odd few extra cents on bread, fruit etc putting up with the way Aussies are so patriotic about everything they do, because I get this sort of thing free, I wouldn't be able to tell you the last time in the UK we as a family done anything like this.
So for those heading out: no it isn't all paradise, yes there is crime and yes there may be a few more expensive things, but all in all I firmly believe I have a better quality of life here.

So give it a go, if you enjoy it brilliant, if you don't well, just jump back on a plane because the government here don't force you to stay!!

Last edited by Dicko; Feb 19th 2006 at 1:56 am. Reason: missing letter
Old Feb 19th 2006, 1:41 am
Living the Dream!

Mrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: In Response to the Negativity..

Thank you Dicko, sounds like my kind of perfect evening!
I've never done anything like that in UK, although whilst in Portugal last summer there were 2 massive firework displays off the beach and a free concert. We all trundled down the beach with our cooler bags full of beer and the kids just ran about, it was great!
Old Feb 19th 2006, 1:43 am
Ashley Banjo Enthusiast

wholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond repute

Hello there,
Wish I'd known about that - could have done with another fun family day in Paradise! Never saw that one advertised - we don't usually miss that kind of thing. Although we were tired between going to see the FREE skateboard championships in Eagleby or the Free Diving tournament in Southport. We love it here too. Best day out for us here is the Paradise Point sails days - where for $10 your kids (and you) can spend the day at the beach swimming, catamaraning, sailing, kyaking all for $10 - best family days out we have and they are twice a month!
Take care, WWW
Old Feb 19th 2006, 1:47 am
Living the Dream!

Mrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wholeworldwindow
Hello there,
Wish I'd known about that - could have done with another fun family day in Paradise! Never saw that one advertised - we don't usually miss that kind of thing. Although we were tired between going to see the FREE skateboard championships in Eagleby or the Free Diving tournament in Southport. We love it here too. Best day out for us here is the Paradise Point sails days - where for $10 your kids (and you) can spend the day at the beach swimming, catamaraning, sailing, kyaking all for $10 - best family days out we have and they are twice a month!
Take care, WWW
that sounds like a great day out. I'm clocking up all these things for when we come out next year!

Last edited by Mrs JFW; Feb 19th 2006 at 1:47 am. Reason: answer in previous response
Old Feb 19th 2006, 1:55 am
Account Closed

phoenixinoz is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Dicko
Hi People,
I don't post as often as I used to, due mainly to repeated threads and a lot of people getting hung up on the price of Groceries etc,
Last Night me and the family headed down to Broadbeach for a Free yes Free, not a cent (converted back to sterling would still be free) concert and firework show. Didn't pay to park either :scared:
What a fantastic atmosphere hundreds of families & friends just sitting in the park having a picnic, the odd beer, a laugh and generally spending quality time with their loved ones. There was not one sign of trouble, no yobos trying to spoil it for everyone else, nothing just everyone enjoying it.
It really was brilliant, now we have been here 10 months now and this is the sort of thing that happens quite often.
My point is: I don't mind spending the odd few extra cents on bread, fruit etc putting up with the way Aussies are so patriotic about everything they do, because I get this sort of thing free, I wouldn't be able to tell you the last time in the UK we as a family done anything like this.
So for those heading out: no it isn't all paradise, yes there is crime and yes there may be a few more expensive things, but all in all I firmly believe I have a better quality of life here.

So give it a go, if you enjoy it brilliant, if you don't well, just jump back on a plane because the government here don't force you to stay!!
Great post.

Karma sent.
Old Feb 19th 2006, 2:27 am
Master of verbal pish©

soapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond repute

nice to see your still alive mate.
great post too.............ill have more of this anyday lol
Hi People,

Old Feb 19th 2006, 2:28 am
BE Enthusiast

Gold Coaster has a reputation beyond reputeGold Coaster has a reputation beyond reputeGold Coaster has a reputation beyond reputeGold Coaster has a reputation beyond reputeGold Coaster has a reputation beyond reputeGold Coaster has a reputation beyond reputeGold Coaster has a reputation beyond reputeGold Coaster has a reputation beyond reputeGold Coaster has a reputation beyond reputeGold Coaster has a reputation beyond reputeGold Coaster has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Dicko]Hi People,

Great post Dicko.

I can't agree with you more.

Karma giving time
Old Feb 19th 2006, 3:20 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Aye, these type things happen on a regular basis up here too and are great.

There's certainly a different mindset.

Whole families going out to these events with a sort of carefree attitude. It's expected that they will have a good time chilling out.....and they do.
Old Feb 19th 2006, 3:26 am
Ashley Banjo Enthusiast

wholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond repute

We came from Scotland .....and went from one sort of "chill" directly to another! Much preffer the latter sort!
Old Feb 19th 2006, 3:40 am
Forum Regular

goldcoastblue is a name known to allgoldcoastblue is a name known to allgoldcoastblue is a name known to allgoldcoastblue is a name known to allgoldcoastblue is a name known to allgoldcoastblue is a name known to allgoldcoastblue is a name known to allgoldcoastblue is a name known to allgoldcoastblue is a name known to allgoldcoastblue is a name known to allgoldcoastblue is a name known to all

Hello there,
Take care, WWW
Funny I was down Surfers yesterday watching the FREE volleyball with Vodaphone,,, then swam for free to cool down, and went home happy as larry.
Old Feb 19th 2006, 3:49 am
Account Closed

Paul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant future

Nice post Dicko, glad all is still good in the land of expensive groceries ...

If all goes well we'll be over in a month ... ... so get that BBQ warmed up! ...
Old Feb 19th 2006, 4:03 am
Love Tiffany's

Welshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud of

Hi People,

Well said!! I'll second that!!
Old Feb 19th 2006, 8:07 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Hello there,
Take care, WWW
Collette, where's that sort of thing advertised? Haven't heard of either of those events. Have been down to watch the surfing championships (free) but wondered if it was just the papers or is there a web site?
Old Feb 19th 2006, 8:12 am
Master of verbal pish©

soapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypen20
Collette, where's that sort of thing advertised? Haven't heard of either of those events. Have been down to watch the surfing championships (free) but wondered if it was just the papers or is there a web site?
we have a free local mag delivered every week to us in sydney. all we do is check out the whats on page
Old Feb 19th 2006, 8:16 am
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bix
Aye, these type things happen on a regular basis up here too and are great.

There's certainly a different mindset.

Whole families going out to these events with a sort of carefree attitude. It's expected that they will have a good time chilling out.....and they do.
spot on

we were in cairns for new years eve 2004 / 5
the council provided a concert from 6pm till 1 am on the esplanade along with two firework displays one at 9pm for the younger kids and one at midnight along with skydivers with red flares and fire eaters

all totally free and not a dot of trouble

we got to meet several aussie families who had come as families ie aunts uncles granddad grandma
it was a really good night with a proper family atmosphere

regards Steve

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.