Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Response from MP's office re new citizenship leglislation

Response from MP's office re new citizenship leglislation

Old Sep 27th 2005, 4:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

KatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to behold
Default Response from MP's office re new citizenship leglislation

I received a phone call from my MP's office (Peter Dutton) re the new citizenship legislation. I had sent an email to him. It was explained to me that the new legislation increasing the number of years from 2 to 3 that has to be waited before citizenship can be obtained, among other things, has not been agreed upon or passed yet. It was also explained to me that when it is passed a date will be set from when it will be implemented. This date is likely to be Australia day, most likely this January coming but maybe not until Jan 2007. She said they will bear my points in mind, I had asked could existing permanent residents be exempted from the changes, so we will see.

I just thought I would let you all know what I was told.

Katie
Old Sep 27th 2005, 7:08 pm
small steps long journey

seang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Response from MP's office re new citizenship leglislation

Thanks for posting KS
Old Sep 27th 2005, 11:25 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for that - our letters are going off today, with special emphasis on the Spouse visa problem. I'll post if we get a reply
Old Sep 28th 2005, 1:22 am
Forum Regular

Thebridge is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by KatieStar
I received a phone call from my MP's office (Peter Dutton) re the new citizenship legislation. I had sent an email to him. It was explained to me that the new legislation increasing the number of years from 2 to 3 that has to be waited before citizenship can be obtained, among other things, has not been agreed upon or passed yet. It was also explained to me that when it is passed a date will be set from when it will be implemented. This date is likely to be Australia day, most likely this January coming but maybe not until Jan 2007. She said they will bear my points in mind, I had asked could existing permanent residents be exempted from the changes, so we will see.

I just thought I would let you all know what I was told.

Katie
Katie,

Thanks for your post. If they implement the change from January 2006 and the existing PRs will not be exempted from the new regulations, I will be in trouble because I have to lodge my application on February 2006.

I didn't get a reply from the MP yet. As soon as I get it, I'll post the answer. We are in the same boat.

Last edited by Thebridge; Sep 28th 2005 at 1:36 am.
Old Sep 28th 2005, 3:54 am
Ping Pong Wannabe

banjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud of

Australia Day 2006 would suit me fine as we are eligable on 18th Jan 2006. I wish we would hear something more officially as the not knowing is very irritating.
Old Sep 28th 2005, 4:15 am
BE Enthusiast

Trevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant future

Is January 2006 a realistic date?

I found this document on the Parliament of Australia website. The full document can be downloaded from here

This document seems to suggest that the Citizenship ammendments wont pass this current session.

IMMIGRATION AND MULTICULTURAL AND INDIGENOUS AFFAIRS

Migration Amendment Bill *
- amend the Migration Act 1958 to insert a definition of “de facto relationship”, and provide a contrary intention to section 14 of the Legislative Instruments Act 2003 to allow the department to vary and re-make gazette notices from time to time

Aboriginal Land Rights (Northern Territory) Amendment Bill
- amend the Aboriginal Land Rights (Northern Territory) Act 1976 to strengthen provisions of the Act and improve their workability following recent reviews of the legislation by Mr John Reeves QC, the House of Representatives Standing Committee on Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Affairs, and the National Competition Policy

Australian Citizenship Legislation Amendment Bill
Australian Citizenship (Transitional and Consequentials) Bill
- introduce provisions to strengthen the integrity of Australian citizenship and to make the citizenship provisions clearer and more consistent

Corporations (Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander) Consequential, Transitional and Other Measures Bill
- provide for consequential amendments necessary to give effect to the Corporations (Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander) Bill; ensure that all replacement prescribed bodies corporate can become registered native title bodies corporate

Migration Amendment (Employer Sanctions) Bill
- amend the Migration Act 1958 to provide for employer sanctions where an employer recruits a non-citizen who does not have work rights

Migration Amendment (Migration Zone) Bill
- amend the Migration Act 1958 to provide greater certainty in the definition of “migration zone”; clarify powers in relation to the detention of persons on board vessels; expand the definition of “excised offshore place” to include certain islands and territories in Northern Australia; and specify an “excision time” for the places that are added to the definition of “excised offshore place”

Migration Amendment (Visa Integrity) Bill
- amend the Migration Act 1958 to strengthen provisions in relation to the integrity of the visa program and strengthen the provisions relating to the flow of information between the Department and its clients

Migration Legislation Amendment (Border Integrity) Bill
- amend the Migration Act 1958 to strengthen provisions in relation to border integrity
- amend the Customs Act 1901 to ensure that the same reporting obligations exist under both migration and customs legislation

Bills marked * are proposed for introduction and passage in the Spring sittings
Old Sep 28th 2005, 4:31 am
Drunken Aussie

brisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nice

remember that being eligible does not mean you have citizenship, it could take up to three months to get the ceremony and you aren't a citizen until you attend one. i would imagine yours would be after australia day 2006.

best bet is to arrange your interview for the 18th jan and apply in person, as maybe if you have your application already in you might be ok. i'd avoid applying on-line or by post!!

Originally Posted by banjo
Australia Day 2006 would suit me fine as we are eligable on 18th Jan 2006. I wish we would hear something more officially as the not knowing is very irritating.
Old Sep 28th 2005, 9:02 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

I had no reply at all from Mr Alby Schultz.
Old Sep 28th 2005, 12:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

KatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Trevglas
Is January 2006 a realistic date?
She seemed to think that this bill would be given priority, but hopefully it wont pass in time for Jan 2006. However either would be too early for us we would qualify around march 2007.
Old Sep 28th 2005, 10:18 pm
Ping Pong Wannabe

banjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by brisnick
remember that being eligible does not mean you have citizenship, it could take up to three months to get the ceremony and you aren't a citizen until you attend one. i would imagine yours would be after australia day 2006.

best bet is to arrange your interview for the 18th jan and apply in person, as maybe if you have your application already in you might be ok. i'd avoid applying on-line or by post!!
oh yes, thanks. I didn't mean to imply that we might have our ceremony by Australia Day. I was thinking as long as we get our application in before. So, have you already been through the process yourself? Did you have the interview? I have heard that is a much quicker way
Old Sep 28th 2005, 10:56 pm
Banned

Linda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of light

I am eligible for citizenship mid October 2006. Not sure if i would be ok or not.

Do they have specific dates throughout the year for citizenship ceremonies? If so, where can i find out when they are?
Old Sep 28th 2005, 11:01 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Linda Lushardi
I am eligible for citizenship mid October 2006. Not sure if i would be ok or not.
Most likely it will depend on whether existing PRs are exempted or not. If not, you'll have to wait another year.

Do they have specific dates throughout the year for citizenship ceremonies? If so, where can i find out when they are?
Depends on your local council. Many councils in urban areas organise a ceremony each month, in rural areas they are less frequent. However DIMIA are keen for people to have a ceremony within 3 months of being approved for citizenship.

Jeremy
Old Sep 29th 2005, 3:25 am

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Thanks for that - our letters are going off today, with special emphasis on the Spouse visa problem. I'll post if we get a reply

I did that too Polly. 2 weeks ago I sent an email to my MP with special emphasis on the spouses visa (as I won't get PR for another year and a bit)
He replied within days asking for my mailing address and contact number but nothing yet in terms of an informed reply.

Will post it when it comes. There may be hope for us spouses after all!

Siren
Old Sep 29th 2005, 7:57 am
BE Enthusiast

Ian12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rog Williams
I had no reply at all from Mr Alby Schultz.

I had no reply from Bronwyn Bishop (Northern Beaches) My Aussie de facto will remember that on election day.
Old Sep 29th 2005, 8:58 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ian12
I had no reply from Bronwyn Bishop (Northern Beaches) My Aussie de facto will remember that on election day.

It sounds like some MPs are not good at responding to correspondence. That said, sometimes emails and letters go astray so a phone call to the electorate office to follow up is never a bad idea.

Jeremy

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.