Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Resort Holiday from Singapore

Resort Holiday from Singapore

Old Jul 4th 2012, 11:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Resort Holiday from Singapore

Originally Posted by koalakim
For Malaysia you could also look at Tioman, I've heard it's lovely and a stone's throw from Singapore.
It is a stones throw ..... but when the flight's sell out, and the ferry from Singapore no longer exist, then you have to resort to a 3-4 bus ride followed by ferry out to the island, and with 5 days at our disposal, it kind of takes the relaxation factor out of it.

So it Langkawi got an extensive rainy period in August? Mix reports on that one?
Old Jul 5th 2012, 3:43 am
BE Forum Addict

koalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond repute

Probably will have if I'm there...

According to the Langkawi tourist website Sept and Oct have most rainfall, maybe some light showers in Aug. Like a lot of tropical places it probably falls late afternoon, evening or overnight.

Still I don't care, as long as I can sit, read and snooze somewhere dry I'll be okay, I'm going for a rest!
Old Jul 6th 2012, 12:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jamesfly
The only problem with Malaysia that season is that it is complete of Saudis all getting out of the cause problems. Not awesome. I have knowledgeable it both in Penang and langkawi amd wouldn't go again during summer time season season.
OK that does me ..... Are you positively sure it's full of Saudi's?
Old Jul 6th 2012, 2:40 am
BE Forum Addict

Hebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beoz
OK that does me ..... Are you positively sure it's full of Saudi's?
Absolutely - really busy with them at that time of the year as they are escaping the very hot weather. They love it there because it is cheap but primarily because it is a muslim country and they are very much catered for in restaurants etc. The funniest thing I saw were woman paragliding in full burkas - they look like flying witches. Some are ok and will say hello but most are just plain rude. They also tend to ogle the western woman round the pool and can make you feel pretty uncomfortable.
Old Jul 7th 2012, 1:06 am
BE Forum Addict

helinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond repute

We enjoyed Langkawki and Penang sad to hear that it's not as nice now.

We used to enjoy Bintan and tried all the reports when we lived in Singapore. When our children were young Clubmed was a winner - they could run off energy playing sport and I would laze by the pool or better still by the beach. We also used it as our stopover when we moved from UK to NZ . But there are other resorts that are even quieter eg - no children Banyan tree.
Clubmed Cherating and Maldives were also excellent getaways for us.

Have you ever been to Samoa? We went to a lovely resort (Sinalei reef resort) last July no children under 12 allowed, it was so peaceful - there were probably a dozen of us teachers on our NZ school holidays enjoying a beach without children around - sorry not good at linking!
http://www.h-rez.com/a325519/index.htm
Old Jul 7th 2012, 2:28 am
BE Forum Addict

Hebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by helinuk
We enjoyed Langkawki and Penang sad to hear that it's not as nice now.

We used to enjoy Bintan and tried all the reports when we lived in Singapore. When our children were young Clubmed was a winner - they could run off energy playing sport and I would laze by the pool or better still by the beach. We also used it as our stopover when we moved from UK to NZ . But there are other resorts that are even quieter eg - no children Banyan tree.
Clubmed Cherating and Maldives were also excellent getaways for us.

Have you ever been to Samoa? We went to a lovely resort (Sinalei reef resort) last July no children under 12 allowed, it was so peaceful - there were probably a dozen of us teachers on our NZ school holidays enjoying a beach without children around - sorry not good at linking!
http://www.h-rez.com/a325519/index.htm
It's not that it's not nice. Just July/August not a good time to visit as full of Saudis which for me put a damper on it because of the ogling and their rudeness
Old Jul 7th 2012, 3:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Hebe
It's not that it's not nice. Just July/August not a good time to visit as full of Saudis which for me put a damper on it because of the ogling and their rudeness
and Asiarooms confirms it too

http://www.asiarooms.com/en/travel-g...i-weather.html
Old Jul 7th 2012, 6:38 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by koalakim
Probably will have if I'm there...

According to the Langkawi tourist website Sept and Oct have most rainfall, maybe some light showers in Aug. Like a lot of tropical places it probably falls late afternoon, evening or overnight.

Still I don't care, as long as I can sit, read and snooze somewhere dry I'll be okay, I'm going for a rest!
When we have stayed in Penang its been in October and we have always had a great two week break with maybe one day of rain and also a bit at night time but nothing that was a problem. If this bothers you then The Hotel we stay in does sometimes have a tiny amount of Saudis staying but they keep themselves to themselves and seem very nice and you really hardly notice them, anyway we are the type of people who do not careless where your from as long as your nice etc.
Old Jul 7th 2012, 7:03 am
ajw

Location: Melbourne - London - Bangkok - Melbourne - Kuala Lumpur - Melbourne
ajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond repute

Can confirm Lamgkawi is still lovely. I was there last month for a long weekend and stayed at the Casa Del Mar which was superb. Small, quiet and child free (I left mine at home)
Old Jul 10th 2012, 10:31 am
ajw

ajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond repute

Erm yes, I think you mentioned that already....
Old Jul 10th 2012, 3:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

If staying near the airport for a night or two before or after your resort holiday ...DONT try the Fragrance hotel....

Booked my father into one of them and he was the only hotel guest who stayed the night... Everyone else appeared to leave after an hour or so... Cant imagine why?
Old Jul 11th 2012, 5:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by ajw
Can confirm Lamgkawi is still lovely. I was there last month for a long weekend and stayed at the Casa Del Mar which was superb. Small, quiet and child free (I left mine at home)
Casa Del Mar looks the goods on tripadvisor. Though 4 star its the same price as many of the 5 stars.
Old Jul 11th 2012, 6:08 am
ajw

I guess it depends on what you're after. I was travelling alone and wanted something small, intimate and individual. The larger places offer something different again. I think it was a little less expensive than the Westin and a lot less than the Datai and 4 seasons.
Old Jul 11th 2012, 6:09 am
ajw

I should also note that sadly, I wasn't ogled. Feeling a little let down now
Old Jul 12th 2012, 12:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by ajw
I guess it depends on what you're after. I was travelling alone and wanted something small, intimate and individual. The larger places offer something different again. I think it was a little less expensive than the Westin and a lot less than the Datai and 4 seasons.
The Westin has some good deals for August though they do so they beach at the Westin is rubbish and a bit overrun with children (sorry but swimming through inflatable toys in swimming pool not my cup of tea).

Four Season would be awesome and it would want to be at $600 per night.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.