Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Resignation help !!!!!

Resignation help !!!!!

Old Feb 16th 2006, 5:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

Olibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond repute
Default Resignation help !!!!!

Folks,

I am on 3 months notice but will need to leave in about 5 weeks time. I will give them loads of help handing my job over to anyone they can find that can do it, which will not be easy as it is complex. They will manage in the end but I do feel a bit guilty about leaving them in a pickle. I also need a reference from them ..............SO.......how do you handle this?

There is little point they keep someone at work that does not want to be there. In my previous role, I was on 6 months notice and negotiated leaving after 3 months.

So..........I need to leave in 5 weeks time, need a reference........ugh....

I may say I'll fly back to help out after I get my family settled to see out my notice but ...........jeeze, its a long flight.

Any ideas ?
Old Feb 16th 2006, 5:51 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Cool Re: Resignation help !!!!!

Originally Posted by Olibeneli
Folks,

I am on 3 months notice but will need to leave in about 5 weeks time. I will give them loads of help handing my job over to anyone they can find that can do it, which will not be easy as it is complex. They will manage in the end but I do feel a bit guilty about leaving them in a pickle. I also need a reference from them ..............SO.......how do you handle this?

There is little point they keep someone at work that does not want to be there. In my previous role, I was on 6 months notice and negotiated leaving after 3 months.

I may say I'll fly back to help out after I get my family settled to see out my notice but ...........jeeze, its a long flight.

Any ideas ?
You tell them your situation, you say that you will do everything you can to train your replacement, you give your notice, you keep your nose clean until your last day at work, and you leave the company as agreed.
Old Feb 16th 2006, 5:56 pm
one day rodders !!!

robos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Resignation help !!!!!

if you do your job as it states in your job description then they have to give you a good ref

surely if you explain though they will be ok about it

jan xx
Old Feb 16th 2006, 6:16 pm
Sunny Sydney

herrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond repute

My hubby is in the same boat and is hoping that if he keeps as many hols as possible that will help reduce it a little. He's also hoping to manage his workload in such a way that projects will naturally be ending up around the tie he needs to leave so that might help too - no point in asking him to stay to start something he can't finish. He's also hoping to be honest and open with his employers as soon as he gets his visa in the hope that they'll work with him and relax the 3 month term.

Could you perhaps offer to work weekends or evenings over the next few weeks to ties up all the loose ends?

Best of luck.
Old Feb 16th 2006, 7:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

jonjon is a name known to alljonjon is a name known to alljonjon is a name known to alljonjon is a name known to alljonjon is a name known to alljonjon is a name known to alljonjon is a name known to alljonjon is a name known to alljonjon is a name known to alljonjon is a name known to alljonjon is a name known to all

Folks,

Any ideas ?
Firstly there is no legal right for them to give a reference however any reference given must be truthful

Secondly due to the fact that you are leaving before you have completed you contractual notice period you will be in breach of contract and technically they could if the wished seek compensation for there loss. However this is highly unlikely as it is not cost effective to do

I have been in similarly situations to this before and I have always found as long as you are apologetic, advise them that you have not alternative and the you will happily offer technical support via the phone or email after you have left most reasonable employers will fully support you.

Also remember that you have already supplied a reference as part of your application for your visa which you can use for alternative employment if you employer does get funny and supply a false reference you would then have the right to take action against them

Personnel I would not worry too much be honest offer support and you will be fine, say to them jokingly if they will pay for flight you will come back in 3 or 6 months to help out for a couple of days it may work in your favour as you can stock up on Cadburys for the family

Good luck and if you have any breach of contract problems pm me I will happily help out

Regards

Jon
Old Feb 16th 2006, 8:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

Olibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jonjon
Firstly there is no legal right for them to give a reference however any reference given must be truthful

Secondly due to the fact that you are leaving before you have completed you contractual notice period you will be in breach of contract and technically they could if the wished seek compensation for there loss. However this is highly unlikely as it is not cost effective to do

I have been in similarly situations to this before and I have always found as long as you are apologetic, advise them that you have not alternative and the you will happily offer technical support via the phone or email after you have left most reasonable employers will fully support you.

Also remember that you have already supplied a reference as part of your application for your visa which you can use for alternative employment if you employer does get funny and supply a false reference you would then have the right to take action against them

Personnel I would not worry too much be honest offer support and you will be fine, say to them jokingly if they will pay for flight you will come back in 3 or 6 months to help out for a couple of days it may work in your favour as you can stock up on Cadburys for the family

Good luck and if you have any breach of contract problems pm me I will happily help out

Regards

Jon
Thank you for the time you have taken in your reply....very much appreciated.

Great idea about the flight !........I see you are a HR manager so if I do need any help I will pm you so BIG THANKS for that.

Cheers
Old Feb 16th 2006, 8:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

OzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to behold

Folks,

Any ideas ?
My OH was on 6 months notice. Co. wouldn't accept his resignation (in a polite way) and after some negotiation they allowed him to commute between Oz and the UK for the 6 months notice period. He is now into month 4 - works UK 3 weeks; 1 week Oz. And they are picking up the tab!

And he is a HR Director!

HTH