Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Residence Visa now or once I arrive

Residence Visa now or once I arrive

Old Nov 2nd 2006, 9:45 am
j pearce

jcpearce is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Residence Visa now or once I arrive

I am planning with my wife and two children to move to Adelaide by next August. I have found work with a friend but am yet to start my Visa application whilst my property is unsold here.
Is it unadvisabele to "turn up" and then apply for a residence Visa. We want to get there asap so that the kids can settle quickly as that is the reason for this question. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

James
Old Nov 2nd 2006, 9:50 am
Forum Regular

Max&Ozzy is a name known to allMax&Ozzy is a name known to allMax&Ozzy is a name known to allMax&Ozzy is a name known to allMax&Ozzy is a name known to allMax&Ozzy is a name known to allMax&Ozzy is a name known to allMax&Ozzy is a name known to allMax&Ozzy is a name known to allMax&Ozzy is a name known to allMax&Ozzy is a name known to all
Default Re: Residence Visa now or once I arrive

Originally Posted by jcpearce
I am planning with my wife and two children to move to Adelaide by next August. I have found work with a friend but am yet to start my Visa application whilst my property is unsold here.
Is it unadvisabele to "turn up" and then apply for a residence Visa. We want to get there asap so that the kids can settle quickly as that is the reason for this question. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

James
You do need a visa of some sort to stay and work. So if you're able to get the points for a residence visa then you might as well, as it gets you and your family over there.
Start now though, as overall it takes about a year.

Graham
Old Nov 2nd 2006, 9:52 am
A rather curious boy

busterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond repute

James
I wouldn't advise it all!

Speak to a migration agent for the pros and cons of this strategy just in case you blow it for yourself in the future.
Old Nov 2nd 2006, 11:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

James

You wouldn't get let on the plane without a visa, and if you turn up on a tourist visa with intentions of settling here they would just send you straight back on the next plane out of here.
Old Nov 2nd 2006, 11:05 pm
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Name of the game is "Research"!
Old Nov 6th 2006, 8:38 am
j pearce

Originally Posted by Max&Ozzy
You do need a visa of some sort to stay and work. So if you're able to get the points for a residence visa then you might as well, as it gets you and your family over there.
Start now though, as overall it takes about a year.

Graham

Thanks for advice, we are planning to get a work Visa but are looking at ways to get there sooner and obviously legally. I think the message was posted slightly out of context. I really needed to know if we can get there to work and then apply for residence once we are settled. I am have started dealing with a relocation agent but I am of the opinion he is not being as open as we would like. I may try and contact an alternative agent back in the UK.
Old Nov 6th 2006, 8:39 am
j pearce

Originally Posted by busterboy
I wouldn't advise it all!

Speak to a migration agent for the pros and cons of this strategy just in case you blow it for yourself in the future.

Thanks
Old Nov 6th 2006, 8:43 am
j pearce

Originally Posted by Wendy
You wouldn't get let on the plane without a visa, and if you turn up on a tourist visa with intentions of settling here they would just send you straight back on the next plane out of here.
Thanks
We are looking at work visas but I think my message was posted with incorrect wording. We are currentlt in Yugoslavia and am finding it difficuult to get any information from this region. We have spoken to an agent but he isnt as open as we would like. I am in the process of contacting agents else where for residence visa. Any advice would be grateful.
Old Nov 6th 2006, 8:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks
We are looking at work visas but I think my message was posted with incorrect wording. We are currentlt in Yugoslavia and am finding it difficuult to get any information from this region. We have spoken to an agent but he isnt as open as we would like. I am in the process of contacting agents else where for residence visa. Any advice would be grateful.

I did wonder after I'd replied if we'd read your post wrong.

You're best option would be to contact a migration agent who can give you proper advice. There are a few who post on here, so a bit more info would be helpful such as what you do for a living?