Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

The Reserve Bank has increased interest rates...

The Reserve Bank has increased interest rates...

Old Nov 8th 2010, 7:27 am
ABCDiamond

Default Re: The Reserve Bank has increased interest rates...

Originally Posted by MartinLuther
I'm starting to think that comprehension tests in English shouldn't have gone multichoice
Makes total sense, Multichoice must have come in after I left school

Old Nov 8th 2010, 7:32 am
no stressin no fussin....

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

whats laughable is thinking Australian banks are completely divorced from world wide banking corp - whilst Aus is a small fish is a very big sea, it's part of the problem as well as solution
Old Nov 8th 2010, 10:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Okay I can't believe I have to explain this but here goes.

I wrote "The government gave enough backing to stop the smaller banks going broke" with the footnote "obviously the Aus government couldn't stop HBOS going broke which caused the sale of Bankwest to CBA".

This was highlighted as me not being able to make up my mind. Which is just complete crap and poor comprehension. HBOS went tits up in the UK and had to be rescued by the UK government. This has completely nothing to do with the Aus government. To be clear the Aus government was not in the position to stop HBOS going tits up. Now Bankwest was a profitable subsidiary of HBOS and if Bankwest had been going broke then the Aus government could have got involved with saving Bankwest. But it didn't because Bankwest was not going broke. It was still a profitable bank and did not need rescuing. As it was a profitable subsidiary it was sold to bring money into HBOS which was a decision completely out of the control of the Aus government. Bankwest was sold to CBA very quickly. Not because it was going broke but because it was in good condition and was being sold quickly as part of a fire sale.

So back to what I said "The government gave enough backing to stop the smaller banks going broke". This is what happened. None of the smaller banks went broke.

I added the footnote about Bankwest because I could see someone a little slow in the thinking department suggesting that Bankwest went broke. So I thought I would cut that one off at the pass by putting in a footnote that Bankwest was sold at that time not because it went broke but because its UK parent went broke. Which was something completely outside of the control of the Aus government as HBOS is a British bank not an Australian bank. And although Bankwest was the Australian subsiduary of HBOS it was covered by the Australian guarantees but as it didn't go broke it didn't need the Aus government to rescue it.

I'm starting to think that comprehension tests in English shouldn't have gone multichoice
I got it.. without having to agree or disagree - my footnote: I don't have an opinion, on what happened 2 years ago. I am more interested in what the next installment brings.

Originally Posted by littda01
This is a very good article summing up a lot of this.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news...-1225948549080

Here's the main quote:

Moreover, while the Australian banks have not been reduced to rubble, as in the US and Europe, they face the same more bracing post-crisis world.

Their balance sheet expansion and profit growth from two decades of higher household gearing is ending as the credit boom gives way to debt deleveraging. And the big miners don't need them to finance their investment boom.

The PwC analysis suggests the public does not fully appreciate this fundamental break nor the lingering global financial risks.

Instead, the legacy of a household sector heavily geared to high housing prices has made interest rate politics even more explosive. Housing interest payments now take twice the share of household disposable income than during Paul Keating's 18 per cent interest rates of the late 1980s.

And now the Reserve Bank is lifting interest rates to quarantine the huge national income boost from our sky high iron ore and coal prices. It's demanding that Australians save more of our terms of trade boom rather than spend it on, say, a day of Melbourne Cup revelry. It's enforcing an income transfer from borrowers to savers as the economy unwinds a decade or more of borrowing.

The winners from higher interest rates are retirees and savers. But no one wants the political heat from mortgage-belt losers, who may be losing further as the banks unwind their cross-subsidy from business lending. Will this heat fall on Swan for not bringing the banks or his budget deficit to heel, or for not taking the IMF's advice to jack up the GST and cut income tax to reward saving? Or will it singe Stevens, who Sydney's The Daily Telegraph famously called Australia's most useless man when he lifted rates during the pre-crisis boom? Or the banks, because they've always been bastards?
Agree with the above but I think interest rates rises are a good idea.
Old Nov 8th 2010, 7:35 pm
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Makes total sense, Multichoice must have come in after I left school
I reckon the WJEC introduced for O'levels circa 1982.

In classes we had to write an explanation. Then, in what appeared to be a sudden move, the WJEC introduced multichoice for the O'levels. Bingo! 1 grade higher, free of charge. Loved it then but didn't realise the long term consequences.
Old Nov 8th 2010, 7:55 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by sonlymewalter
whats laughable is thinking Australian banks are completely divorced from world wide banking corp
I'd laugh too if I came across someone who thought that.
Old Nov 9th 2010, 3:55 am
ABCDiamond

I reckon the WJEC introduced for O'levels circa 1982.

In classes we had to write an explanation. Then, in what appeared to be a sudden move, the WJEC introduced multichoice for the O'levels. Bingo! 1 grade higher, free of charge. Loved it then but didn't realise the long term consequences.
So my 'O' levels are really 'A' levels then

Old Nov 9th 2010, 6:23 am
BE Forum Addict

papilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond repute

But look on the bright side. The Aus banks didn't cause the GFC. They didn't get bailed out by the government. The government gave enough backing to stop the smaller banks going broke* thus avoiding more consolidation into the big 4 (who would have survived without government's backing and would have bought up the smaller banks as they went bust). The banks aren't pleading poverty but are highlighting that their raw materials are getting more expensive. The interest rate is now lower than it was immediately before the GFC. And all that government backing kept the Australian economy out of recession.

* obviously the Aus government couldn't stop HBOS going broke which caused the sale of Bankwest to CBA.

And who knows, but the increasing interest rates might curb the enthusiasm of people investing in the Australian housing bubble.
As you said Bankwest was a profitable subsidiary of HBOS, where the government stuffed up was allowing CBA to buy up Bankwest and Westpac to buy up St George and then act all suprised about the lack of competition.
Old Nov 9th 2010, 6:31 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by papilon
As you said Bankwest was a profitable subsidiary of HBOS, where the government stuffed up was allowing CBA to buy up Bankwest and Westpac to buy up St George and then act all suprised about the lack of competition.
Quite. I think in calmer times the competition commission would have had something to say.
Old Nov 9th 2010, 6:31 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
So my 'O' levels are really 'A' levels then
Only since they went multichoice on the spelling section.
Old Nov 9th 2010, 6:44 am
BE Forum Addict

freebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond repute

Several more rate rises to come according to the news, will help my savings!
Old Nov 9th 2010, 7:19 am
BE Forum Addict

papilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond repute

Quite. I think in calmer times the competition commission would have had something to say.
I still think the Rudd government overreacted, they over stimulated and now we will have to pay the price. Even small interest hikes are hitting hard, they should never have increased the FHBG, they encouraged more people to take on debt at a time when deleaverging should have been the order of the day, instead they extended the housing bubble.
Old Nov 9th 2010, 7:36 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by papilon
I still think the Rudd government overreacted, they over stimulated and now we will have to pay the price. Even small interest hikes are hitting hard, they should never have increased the FHBG, they encouraged more people to take on debt at a time when deleaverging should have been the order of the day, instead they extended the housing bubble.
Maybe. But I think it's easy to say what should have happened in hindsight.

I'm just glad Aus didn't have to start printing money.
Old Nov 9th 2010, 8:09 am
Forum Regular

swans has much to be proud ofswans has much to be proud ofswans has much to be proud ofswans has much to be proud ofswans has much to be proud ofswans has much to be proud ofswans has much to be proud ofswans has much to be proud ofswans has much to be proud ofswans has much to be proud ofswans has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Wow, how patronising are you. Get over yourself.

For me, any outfit making $6b in profit ain't struggling - despite what they say about 'funding pressures'.
OH dear

Isn't it wonderful how much people hate reality.

Nobody said they were struggling,$6 billion is still around 1% of assets.They will still operate on 2 - 2.5 % gross profit margin.They will face tougher times ahead.Interest rates will rise out of sync.People would not be able to get by without them.

The crowd will still pat each other on the back at how wise bullshit is,they will always put complaining ahead of facts,fooling themselves that it makes reality disappear.

Next year they will make around 1% net profit,the complaints will still be long and loud,reality will still be the same,just as it is every year.

You will still be moaning at how dare people point out reality,nothing much changes does it

I'll let you into a secret of wealth,all the bullshit ,all the refusal to see reality,and the only people they cheat are themselves.Funny old life innit.

G D/y
Old Nov 9th 2010, 9:00 am

IvanM is an unknown quantity at this point

CBA return on equity is only marginally below superprofits.
http://www.smh.com.au/business/cba-r...811-11z0b.html

Anything to increase competition in the sector is good for the wider economy.
For a sleepy retail bank, CBA is delivers a whopping return on equity of 18.7 per cent (up from 15 per cent in the previous year). This outpaced flashy investment bank Macquarie Group which generates a ROE of 10 per cent, while regional lender Bendigo Bank's returns are closer to 8.3 per cent.

CBA's relatively low risk lending book and strong cash generation helping a 42 per cent jump in second half dividend to $1.70 a share, helping it maintain an average a dividend yield of more than 5.5 per cent over the past few years.
Originally Posted by swans
OH dear

Isn't it wonderful how much people hate reality.

Nobody said they were struggling,$6 billion is still around 1% of assets.They will still operate on 2 - 2.5 % gross profit margin.They will face tougher times ahead.Interest rates will rise out of sync.People would not be able to get by without them.

The crowd will still pat each other on the back at how wise bullshit is,they will always put complaining ahead of facts,fooling themselves that it makes reality disappear.

Next year they will make around 1% net profit,the complaints will still be long and loud,reality will still be the same,just as it is every year.

You will still be moaning at how dare people point out reality,nothing much changes does it

I'll let you into a secret of wealth,all the bullshit ,all the refusal to see reality,and the only people they cheat are themselves.Funny old life innit.

G D/y
Old Nov 9th 2010, 9:18 am
ABCDiamond

In 2008 CBA declared a $4.822 billion after tax annual profit and reported about 7.7 million customers. That was $626.23 per customer.

In 2009 $4.753 billion after tax annual profit ($617.27 per customer)

In 2010 $5.680 billion after tax annual profit ($737.66 per customer)

Profit according to CBA financials.
Assuming the customer based stayed the same.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.