Reload this Page >

Requesting opinions about video resume's

Requesting opinions about video resume's

Old Jul 22nd 2012, 2:04 pm
Just Joined

acidify will become famous soon enough
Default Requesting opinions about video resume's

Hello all,

So my story is that I am considering migrating to australia, and studying the complicated process of getting there, i am reluctant to shell out cash for a migrating agent , my preliminary study revealed that if you can secure an employment opportunity then i can get in through the ENS route.

After scouring this board, it seems the job market although good, is still difficult, so i was thinking of ways of standing out in the resume.

I was thinking of making a video resume, to try to stand out, So if anyone has looked at all those video resume's on youtube, do you think this is an effective way of getting the attention of the employers ?

please do express your opinions

NOTE- MODS - If I have posted this in the wrong section i do apologize, please move it to the right one

thanks,
Old Jul 25th 2012, 2:22 am
BE Enthusiast

lonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Requesting opinions about video resume's

Originally Posted by acidify
Hello all,

So my story is that I am considering migrating to australia, and studying the complicated process of getting there, i am reluctant to shell out cash for a migrating agent , my preliminary study revealed that if you can secure an employment opportunity then i can get in through the ENS route.

After scouring this board, it seems the job market although good, is still difficult, so i was thinking of ways of standing out in the resume.

I was thinking of making a video resume, to try to stand out, So if anyone has looked at all those video resume's on youtube, do you think this is an effective way of getting the attention of the employers ?

NOTE- MODS - If I have posted this in the wrong section i do apologize, please move it to the right one

thanks,
I hate looking through CVs as it is, the only saving grace being that if I'm time poor I can skim through looking for salient points. If I had to sit through a video I'd skip that candidate (or arrange for a hit to be taken out on them).

Saying that, if you're in a particular industry (e.g. marketing?) this may be a way to stand out from the crowd.

Cheers

LG
Old Jul 25th 2012, 2:42 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Hello all,

thanks,
What do you do for a living that a video is necessary for? Or that you could get sponsored for ENS?
Old Jul 25th 2012, 3:15 pm
Just Joined

@lonndongeek - Well, seeing that job market is hyper-competitive, I was just thinking of some ways to catch the attention of the employers , from the way you respond you sound you like u have an idea about what the employers are looking for , any sure-shot ways ? Dude ?

@Dorothy - Well, I work in research side (Clinical / Informatics), Australia has some brilliant people in science, i imagine science jobs are flooded with highly qualified people, so I was just thinking how to grab their attention , any advice ?
Old Jul 25th 2012, 3:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

You have identified one of the harder visas to try for. Employer sponsorship is not easy to obtain and to hope to go directly to the permanent employer sponsored even harder.

I would concur with the opinion that if I got a video CV I would be even less likely to look at that candidate. Simply because I have not got time to sit there watching videos and nor would I wish to disturb the people around me.

A strong well written CV will stand you in good stead and you won't require any gimmicks.
Old Jul 25th 2012, 10:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

lonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond repute

@lonndongeek - Well, seeing that job market is hyper-competitive, I was just thinking of some ways to catch the attention of the employers , from the way you respond you sound you like u have an idea about what the employers are looking for , any sure-shot ways ? Dude ?

@Dorothy - Well, I work in research side (Clinical / Informatics), Australia has some brilliant people in science, i imagine science jobs are flooded with highly qualified people, so I was just thinking how to grab their attention , any advice ?
You've answered your own question if the job market is competitive, why would I as an employer want to take the chance of sponsoring somebody for ENS if they're not in the country (and may decide that they don't like it here once they move) when I have a pool of local resources to call on?

Personally, I rate direct approaches and recommended CVs way higher than I do those that come through from agencies. I don't know if you have any contacts over here in the particular industry you're working in? If so, tap into these.

Good luck!

LG
Old Jul 25th 2012, 11:11 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Yes; here's my advice. First, stop using the @ before you address people and stop calling people "Dude".

As for applying for jobs, as has been said it's going to be difficult to be sponsored for ENS unless you're extraordinary in your field. Even then it's more likely you would be sponsored for a 457, if at all. Have you tried applying for jobs at universities and hospitals and pharmaceutical companies? It's your experience and a well drafted CV that's going to get you looked at - and whether you have a valid visa allowing you to work in Australia.

My husband yesterday was saying he interviewed 2 candidates for an opening at his company. Both were equally qualified, both were well educated and hard working. However he hired the one who already had the right to work in Australia and didn't need to be sponsored. It costs time and money for him to have to sponsor people, so the choice is usually the one who can start work Monday.
Old Jul 25th 2012, 11:51 pm
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

Although you never know, anything is possible, my basic response is that you aren't going to get anyone even giving your CV a second glance, no matter what it is. By all means give it a go, but do not be surprised if you never even hear back from them - its not a 457/ENS friendly domain.

At a first order, look at what job areas actually send people across to UK recruitment fairs. If what you are looking for is not well represented there, they are unlikely to be open to overseas recruitment. Frankly you'd need to be a world renowned expert to have a chance.

As for using a video as a CV, precisely the wrong area for such a thing. A long list of published papers, and presentation at Australian conferences are more likely to get you an in, but even then, I wouldn't pin any plans on it. It's an insular world.
Old Jul 26th 2012, 6:21 pm
Just Joined

@lonndongeek - Thanks m8 , will try to get into the whole networking thing, I remember watching a youtube vid on the hidden job market, they say the exact same thing, just that since I am overseas making friends/networks is really difficult , to bad all those trade shows dont have conferences on google hangout, that would be totally aWESOME

#Dorothy - oh the "@" was first introduced in facebook for referencing a statement to a particular statement, facebook veterans know about this , I see perhaps Auzziez dislike slango-americano eh , what are ur feelings towards the use of "dudet" or "Hey-Girl" jk

@GarryP - recruitment fairs check, Im not British btw, and where im at Australia isnt keen on having recruitment fairs , but thanks for the input nonetheless
Old Jul 26th 2012, 9:23 pm
Officially Bewildered

Dreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond repute

#Dorothy - oh the "@" was first introduced in facebook for referencing a statement to a particular statement, facebook veterans know about this , I see perhaps Auzziez dislike slango-americano eh , what are ur feelings towards the use of "dudet" or "Hey-Girl" jk
Internet forum veterans know that the best way to reference a particular statement is to quote it.

HTH.
Old Jul 26th 2012, 11:28 pm
Still alive

@lonndongeek - Thanks m8 , will try to get into the whole networking thing, I remember watching a youtube vid on the hidden job market, they say the exact same thing, just that since I am overseas making friends/networks is really difficult , to bad all those trade shows dont have conferences on google hangout, that would be totally aWESOME

@GarryP - recruitment fairs check, Im not British btw, and where im at Australia isnt keen on having recruitment fairs , but thanks for the input nonetheless
$#@^&* acidify, this isn't Facebook or Twitter, so no need to add the extra symbols.

I don't know what an Auzziez is, but I think whatever they are they probably wouldn't like "slango-americano". I'm also not sure of what that is.

As for 'dudet' or 'hey-girl', I think not.

I feel another ignore coming on.
Old Jul 27th 2012, 1:54 am
BE Forum Addict

roaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond repute

#Dorothy - oh the "@" was first introduced in facebook for referencing a statement to a particular statement
It was used well before Facebook was still just a dorm room hobby.
Old Jul 27th 2012, 1:56 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Dorothy
$#@^&* acidify, this isn't Facebook or Twitter, so no need to add the extra symbols.

I don't know what an Auzziez is, but I think whatever they are they probably wouldn't like "slango-americano". I'm also not sure of what that is.

As for 'dudet' or 'hey-girl', I think not.

I feel another ignore coming on.
Hey Girl,

Well said dudette!

Cheers

LG
Old Jul 27th 2012, 2:03 am
Banned

Zen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond repute

I presumed video resumes were for actors, tap-dancers, etc. I had no idea regular office workers did them. They sound cheesy.
Old Jul 27th 2012, 3:21 am
Still alive

Originally Posted by lonndongeek
Hey Girl,

Well said dudette!

Cheers

LG

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.