Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Renting your UK House

Renting your UK House

Old Oct 1st 2004, 11:37 am
BE Enthusiast

Jimbo9 has a brilliant futureJimbo9 has a brilliant futureJimbo9 has a brilliant futureJimbo9 has a brilliant futureJimbo9 has a brilliant futureJimbo9 has a brilliant future
Default Renting your UK House

Hi,
If you rent out your UK property do you pay tax on the rental income to the UK or the Aussie tax man? Is there any expat who is currently doing this who could share their experiances?

Thanks Jim
Old Oct 1st 2004, 11:47 am
Master of verbal pish©

soapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Renting your UK House

Originally Posted by Jimbo9
Hi,
If you rent out your UK property do you pay tax on the rental income to the UK or the Aussie tax man? Is there any expat who is currently doing this who could share their experiances?

Thanks Jim
If u PM jasonK944 Im sure they can tell you more about this.
Old Oct 1st 2004, 12:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jimbo9 has a brilliant futureJimbo9 has a brilliant futureJimbo9 has a brilliant futureJimbo9 has a brilliant futureJimbo9 has a brilliant futureJimbo9 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by soapy
If u PM jasonK944 Im sure they can tell you more about this.
Thanks Soapy
Old Oct 1st 2004, 12:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

eintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to all

Jimbo,
Would be interested in any info you get on this subject please ?
Thanks

Chris
Old Oct 1st 2004, 12:10 pm
Master of verbal pish©

soapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Soapy
Hes a nice guy, just drop him an email, he will help you out. his real name is Frank.
Old Oct 1st 2004, 12:49 pm
Down Under and Lovin It

Jacko1 will become famous soon enough

Hi,

Thanks Jim
If you are offshore, living abroad on a permanent basis you are not liable to pay tax in the UK. However if you return for more than a few days, not sure how many, you would become a UK tax payer.
You will have to pay tax in the country of residence (Aus) and there will be a section on the tax return for earnings from abroad.

There is info on this on both the IR website and the Australian equivalent

Good Luck

PJ
Old Oct 1st 2004, 1:38 pm

kirsty&al is on a distinguished road

I'm afraid this is one of those cases where the normal rules do not apply.

http://www.inlandrevenue.gov.uk/cnr/nr_landlords.htm

You will have to apply for an exemption from paying tax (detailed in the above link), otherwise you will have to get your tenant or letting agent pay it for you, every quarter!

Cheers
Alistair
Old Oct 1st 2004, 1:44 pm
Down Under and Lovin It

More detailed info is in Book IR20, all depends on resident Status

http://www.inlandrevenue.gov.uk/pdfs/ir20.htm

PJ

Last edited by Jacko1; Oct 1st 2004 at 1:48 pm.
Old Oct 1st 2004, 3:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by kirsty&al

You will have to apply for an exemption from paying tax (detailed in the above link), otherwise you will have to get your tenant or letting agent pay it for you, every quarter!

Cheers
Alistair
I see that you can get exemption from having tax collected by the letting agent/tenant but it still says the income is liable for tax and must be declared on your tax return if you get one - I fear i will ! Also getting worried about CGT liability if I later sell the house when non-resident or would this only apply to any gain after we leave?
Old Oct 1st 2004, 3:05 pm
Down Under and Lovin It

I see that you can get exemption from having tax collected by the letting agent/tenant but it still says the income is liable for tax and must be declared on your tax return if you get one - I fear i will ! Also getting worried about CGT liability if I later sell the house when non-resident or would this only apply to any gain after we leave?
Aftre two years offshore you will be exempt from UK CGT, however, you may be liable to Aus version. Speak to an accountant with offshore experiance etc.

My accountant was a goldmine

Paul J
Old Oct 1st 2004, 4:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

sjn2003 is on a distinguished road

Assuming you will be non-ordinary resident in the UK for tax purposes ie living permanently in Australia with no intention of returning, some of the above posts are correct in that you will be liable to UK income tax on rental profits.

Notice the word profit and not rental income - you still only pay on profit which after mortgage interest and repairs etc shouldn't be too much. You are also entitled to your full personal allowance (assuming you are UK citizen) so hopefully you will have no tax to pay

The law states that it is your tenants/agents responsibility to deduct tax from the rent and pay the taxman. You would then recognise this on your tax return. Sounds like a lot of grief to me, so we have applied to have our rents paid gross (pretty easy to do - takes 4 wks to sort out before you go). Check the link earlier to Non Resident Landlord Centre at Bootle.

You must always fill out a tax return if you have rental property. Under Self Assessment don't wait to be asked to by the Revenue !!

Hope this helps
Old Oct 1st 2004, 8:04 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kirsty&al

Cheers
Alistair
I had a rental agent with me today.
He is compelled to deduct tax from the rental income unless you get one of the above mentioned Non Resident Landlord exemption certificates from the inland revenue.

As I understand it you will be able to deduct the mortgage, buildings & contents insurance, rental agents fees and any maintenance or repair costs from the rental income. In my case this will leave little if any profit. It's the profit that is taxable in Aus.
Old Oct 1st 2004, 8:12 pm
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Bix
I had a rental agent with me today.
He is compelled to deduct tax from the rental income unless you get one of the above mentioned Non Resident Landlord exemption certificates from the inland revenue.

As I understand it you will be able to deduct the mortgage, buildings & contents insurance, rental agents fees and any maintenance or repair costs from the rental income. In my case this will leave little if any profit. It's the profit that is taxable in Aus.
Mortgage interest not capital repayment
Old Oct 2nd 2004, 5:18 am
Don
Banned

Originally Posted by Jacko1
If you are offshore, living abroad on a permanent basis you are not liable to pay tax in the UK.
PJ
INCORRECT. UK-derived income incl rental income is liable to tax in the UK even for non-residents.
Old Oct 2nd 2004, 5:20 am
Don
Banned

Also getting worried about CGT liability if I later sell the house when non-resident or would this only apply to any gain after we leave?
Non-residents are not liable to UK CGT provided they sell the asset during the period they are non resident and stay away from the UK 5 complete tax years. (Unless you're Don: I qualify for no CGT under a different IR rule. )

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.