Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Renting UK house - to ship or not to ship?

Renting UK house - to ship or not to ship?

Old Sep 15th 2004, 4:00 pm
Just Joined

Smidgemum is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Renting UK house - to ship or not to ship?

Hello . This is only the 2nd time I've posted. My background is that my husband has been offered a 2-year secondment with his firm in Sydney. After a little bit of thought, we decided to go for it cos if we don't do something like this now, we never will! I am a mum with a 5 year old boy and a girl of 2 - I did work until having no.2 but I am enjoying being a mum now! We should be going sometime in Nov.

Anyway, we have a house here and we are going to let it out while we are away. I have spoken to a few letting agents on the 'phone and we are having 3 round on Saturday for valuations. They seem to say that an unfurnished house will be easier to rent out than a furnished one. We were thinking that we would leave our house furnished as no point in shipping our stuff over for 2 years. I haven't looked into costs for storing furniture in the UK but would think it would be pretty expensive for 2 years???

My husband's firm have said that they will pay for 1,000 kilos for shipping. I have no idea what you could send for this...???

Does anyone have any advice or have experiencing of letting their home and/or shipping stuff to Oz. Anyone know what 1000 kilos would get shipped?

All advice gratefully received!

Cheers
Old Sep 15th 2004, 4:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ushas will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Renting UK house - to ship or not to ship?

Originally Posted by Smidgemum
Hello . This is only the 2nd time I've posted. My background is that my husband has been offered a 2-year secondment with his firm in Sydney. After a little bit of thought, we decided to go for it cos if we don't do something like this now, we never will! I am a mum with a 5 year old boy and a girl of 2 - I did work until having no.2 but I am enjoying being a mum now! We should be going sometime in Nov.

Anyway, we have a house here and we are going to let it out while we are away. I have spoken to a few letting agents on the 'phone and we are having 3 round on Saturday for valuations. They seem to say that an unfurnished house will be easier to rent out than a furnished one. We were thinking that we would leave our house furnished as no point in shipping our stuff over for 2 years. I haven't looked into costs for storing furniture in the UK but would think it would be pretty expensive for 2 years???

My husband's firm have said that they will pay for 1,000 kilos for shipping. I have no idea what you could send for this...???

Does anyone have any advice or have experiencing of letting their home and/or shipping stuff to Oz. Anyone know what 1000 kilos would get shipped?

All advice gratefully received!

Cheers
To be honest most companies ship in cubic feet. Most of the big shipping companies have facilities on their websites for you to get quotes online. So why not try your luck and see what they say. But most ship according to bulk not weight so not really sure what they are saying. I'd explain this to the bosses and let them come bacvk. They may say a 40ft container is fine in which case you could ship a three bedroom house full.

Hope this helps.