Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Renting in UK and the Australian Tax Office

Renting in UK and the Australian Tax Office

Old Mar 12th 2005, 11:48 pm
Paul, Louise, Laura & Amy

gajjitt has a brilliant futuregajjitt has a brilliant futuregajjitt has a brilliant futuregajjitt has a brilliant futuregajjitt has a brilliant futuregajjitt has a brilliant futuregajjitt has a brilliant futuregajjitt has a brilliant future
Default Renting in UK and the Australian Tax Office

Hi all,

Just wondered what happens if I decide to rent out my non-selling UK flat when I go to Oz. How do the ATO tax the income I gain from the rent? Is it gains I make after paying the mortgage, or is it before that?

It's just that I will probably just break even, so just paying off mortgage in fact. If the ATO tax the rent I get, then I cannot cover the monthly payments in the UK.

Any help welcome.

Thanks

Paul
Old Mar 13th 2005, 12:19 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Renting in UK and the Australian Tax Office

Originally Posted by gajjitt
Hi all,

Just wondered what happens if I decide to rent out my non-selling UK flat when I go to Oz. How do the ATO tax the income I gain from the rent? Is it gains I make after paying the mortgage, or is it before that?

It's just that I will probably just break even, so just paying off mortgage in fact. If the ATO tax the rent I get, then I cannot cover the monthly payments in the UK.

Any help welcome.

Thanks

Paul
In principle they only tax your net profit but the rules on precisely what you can deduct may be different from the UK.

Jeremy
Old Mar 13th 2005, 5:49 am
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Renting in UK and the Australian Tax Office

The tax factsheets here might be of interest:
http://www.collettandco.co.uk/factsheet.cfm

Best regards.

Originally Posted by gajjitt
Hi all,

Any help welcome.

Thanks

Paul