Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Renting - a tenants' market?

Wikiposts

Renting - a tenants' market?

Old Sep 5th 2009, 7:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

discobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud of
Default Renting - a tenants' market?

What is the trend in Perth's rental market - can prospective tenants bargain for lower rents or is it a landlords' market?
Old Sep 5th 2009, 8:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

looky is just really nicelooky is just really nicelooky is just really nicelooky is just really nicelooky is just really nicelooky is just really nicelooky is just really nicelooky is just really nicelooky is just really nicelooky is just really nicelooky is just really nice
Default Re: Renting - a tenants' market?

Originally Posted by discobay
What is the trend in Perth's rental market - can prospective tenants bargain for lower rents or is it a landlords' market?
To be honest I have never heard of people bargaining rental rate when looking at renting unless its in the case of landlord increasing the rate after your rental contract expires.

The process is commonly open house viewing with the real estate agent (lowlife scums btw) opening the property for anyone wanting to view it. You then get application forms from the agent, fill it up, attach your documents, pay some application fees and wait for the agent to get back to you after letting the landlord go through all the applications.
Old Sep 5th 2009, 8:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Kingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to behold

Every house we looked at (around 15 or so) in Kingsley and Woodvale had at least 15 couples/families looking at the open viewings. Can't say they all applied but most took application forms on the spot and asked questions of the agent at the time. Most properties were only on the reiwa website for that first week.

Take from that what you like!
Old Sep 5th 2009, 9:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

discobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud of

I am guessing that viewers took the forms for convenience sake. I certainly would not want to make an unnecessary trip the agents just to pick up a form.

Back in Queensland the advertised rent is negotiable hence my asking here. One place I saw was an open house and we took up most of the 30 minutes that the house was open (for). When we left the agent was already starting to lock up the windows and doors. Without wanting to sound too naive does that sound like I have a window of opportunity to bargain down the rent? What would you do?
Old Sep 5th 2009, 9:42 pm
Living the dream!

kar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to all

I am guessing that viewers took the forms for convenience sake. I certainly would not want to make an unnecessary trip the agents just to pick up a form.

Back in Queensland the advertised rent is negotiable hence my asking here. One place I saw was an open house and we took up most of the 30 minutes that the house was open (for). When we left the agent was already starting to lock up the windows and doors. Without wanting to sound too naive does that sound like I have a window of opportunity to bargain down the rent? What would you do?
We are just south of Perth, and as others have said, the owner really gets to pick and choose who they want! In saying that, I have seen a couple of properties be on the market for a while and come down in price, so def a chance of bargining on properties like that!
Old Sep 5th 2009, 9:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

looky is just really nicelooky is just really nicelooky is just really nicelooky is just really nicelooky is just really nicelooky is just really nicelooky is just really nicelooky is just really nicelooky is just really nicelooky is just really nicelooky is just really nice

Without wanting to sound too naive does that sound like I have a window of opportunity to bargain down the rent? What would you do?
I guess you could only ask, no harm done.
Old Sep 5th 2009, 9:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

OK will give it a shot.
Old Sep 5th 2009, 9:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Officer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond repute

You can certainly bargain for rent but just be aware that you wont be the only one that is.
Old Sep 5th 2009, 10:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Yes as with purchasing that is understood.
Old Sep 6th 2009, 5:31 pm
Forum Regular

dpande is a name known to alldpande is a name known to alldpande is a name known to alldpande is a name known to alldpande is a name known to alldpande is a name known to alldpande is a name known to alldpande is a name known to alldpande is a name known to alldpande is a name known to alldpande is a name known to all

The house we are about to move out of next weekend has been on realestate for 2 weeks, and had the price dropped by $25 per week compared to what we paid.
We have just got ourselves a BEAUTIFUL house for a lot less than I would have expected to pay this time last year.
Depends a lot on the suburb and your budget, but anything >$500 per week is most certainly a tenants' market.
Old Sep 6th 2009, 5:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

The only bargaining I've heard of in recent years, is people offering more money than was asked, in trying to beat the other 15 or more people at the open house inspections.

Dont think that trend has stopped yet in Melbourne.
Old Sep 6th 2009, 5:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

sr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kingseat
Every house we looked at (around 15 or so) in Kingsley and Woodvale had at least 15 couples/families looking at the open viewings. Can't say they all applied but most took application forms on the spot and asked questions of the agent at the time. Most properties were only on the reiwa website for that first week.

Take from that what you like!
I wouldn't get too concerned about that, it is pretty normal for quite a few people to visit on specified opening times. I've been to plenty where there has been 20-30 people traipse through and the house is still on the market a few weeks later.
Old Sep 6th 2009, 5:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

sr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Dont think that trend has stopped yet in Melbourne.
Apart from a few very high demand areas where rental stock is very short, that is a media construct and totally unnecessary IMO.
Old Sep 7th 2009, 12:14 am
Forum Regular

twizzle is a jewel in the roughtwizzle is a jewel in the roughtwizzle is a jewel in the roughtwizzle is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by sr71
Apart from a few very high demand areas where rental stock is very short, that is a media construct and totally unnecessary IMO.
I'd agree with that. I'd heard all these horror stories about Melbourne rental market & found it was nowhere near the hype being publicised.... What we saw was plenty of places not reaching their advertised rent, being listed for rental for several weeks after it's available date, and even had agents phone me up a couple of weeks after I'd viewed places asking me to make an offer - 'any offer' - to take to the landlord.

btw - I know of someone who is a landlord in a very fashionable inner city suburb, and they had to take a hard knock on their rent rate as they struggled to get tenants. So where are these mystical suburbs that landlords get spiralling offers from tenants trying to outbid each other??
In the current market, it doesn't seem to be the 'norm' in Melbourne anymore
Old Sep 7th 2009, 2:28 am
BE Forum Addict

Well I made an offer "A" and a counter-offer "B" was proposed (by the landlord or so I am led to believe) which I am considering. However, tonight I checked the property on realestate and its price has been reduced to "B". This would have been done this morning. Now I am somewhat concerned that the agent was not honest and upfront about the rent reduction and led me to believe that my offer was given due consideration and that the counter offer was a good will move on behalf of the landlord. In reality they have done nothing for me.
If I had not bargained and agreed to take the property at the original price would they have told me that the price had been reduced?

So do I let my emotions take over here or I go ahead with the deal?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.