Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

renting in sydney - is it really that bad???

renting in sydney - is it really that bad???

Old Feb 4th 2008, 10:29 am
Forum Regular

s1mon321 is just really nices1mon321 is just really nices1mon321 is just really nices1mon321 is just really nices1mon321 is just really nices1mon321 is just really nices1mon321 is just really nices1mon321 is just really nices1mon321 is just really nice
Default Re: renting in sydney - is it really that bad???

Originally Posted by Rich_Lyn
Hi Simon
Try Roseville, Killara, Gordon, Lindfield. You should get 2 beds for <$400 pw. 30 mins north of the CBD by rail or road, 20-25 mins from Beach.

Richard
Cheers Richard, looking at those areas on domain.com.au as we speak, er type.

Simon
Old Feb 4th 2008, 11:28 am
Forum Regular

tazkenny is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm in the south of Chatswood, only 10 mins walk downhill to Artarmon station. Apartment is amazing but over 500 p/w . Agree Artarmon isn't the best of places, I just use it for convenience to get into the city. Crows nest is a lovely place in my opinion, and so is Lane cove. Recommend them both.
Old Feb 5th 2008, 3:50 am
why
BE Forum Addict

why has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tazkenny
I'm in the south of Chatswood, only 10 mins walk downhill to Artarmon station. Apartment is amazing but over 500 p/w . Agree Artarmon isn't the best of places, I just use it for convenience to get into the city. Crows nest is a lovely place in my opinion, and so is Lane cove. Recommend them both.
i miss living in crows nest..after 6 years there it felt quite like home for me...if was going to live in sydney it's the only bit i would live in..lower north shore up wards...
crows nest has got a nice "viilage" feel and i got to know loads of people there.

i always facied balmain as well..used to hang out there a bit when i lived in drummoyne..same"village" feeling..yet ten minutes from the action
Old Feb 5th 2008, 4:09 am
BE Enthusiast

Potato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by TravellingSi
The biggest delay for us whas getting the bond money together, with the limit on ATM withdrawals if took us a few days to withdraw the amount and then buy the bank cheque they always insist on.
You could have gotten a money order from the post office & used EFTPOS to pay for it. EFT limits are higher than withdrawing from an ATM.

Money orders are as acceptable as bank cheques, actually they're preferred by most RE AGENTS.

They come in totals of $1k maximum limits or can be made out for less like a cheque. They charge a $3.50 fee per money order.
Old Feb 5th 2008, 4:21 am
Aussie lost in the UK

AndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi people,

Just wanted to add.

When we were looking late last year (central coast admitedly, but still a shortage of goo d rentals up here) we had a couple of situations where there were a dozen or more couples looking at the one place.

I basically looked at the websites every day (sometimes 2-3 times a day) and as soon as something come up I phoned and asked to look.

When we put in our application we put in the application letter to explain our circumstances - obviously we emphasised the GOOD points (we are a young couple, non smokers, no pets, we have good jobs, good salary etc etc etc.) . I think the letter gives the agent (and owner) a feeling that they kow more about you than the other applicants who just put down the standard answers.

I have owned rentals and we all know what landlords look for - good, long term tenants who wil pay the rent, look after the place etc. so I emphasised this on the letter.

Worked a treat for use - we have a great 3 bedroom place, overlooking terrigal, 300 metres from the beach, double garage, big entertaining deck with views.......

Just have to be in the right time at the right place, and also make sure that you stand out as the best applicant for the place
Old Feb 5th 2008, 7:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Reedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by s1mon321
Hi,

We're flying to Sydney on the 24th of Feb and have booked a hotel to stay in for three weeks while we try and find a place to rent. Have heard loads of horror stories of 50 people turning up for viewings with 6 months rent in cash to seal the deal! Is it always a huge hassle, or are there instances where you see a place advertised, like it, and manage to secure it??

Any tips? We'd like to get settled asap.....

Cheers,

Simon

Simon,

A tip would be to take all the documents that you need with you e.g. references from previous employer and Australian employer, evidence of funds in bank (statement or advice slip!) with you so that you can sort it out there and then! Make friends with the Real Estate Agent too as they ultimately get to make the decision of who gets the rental!!!

Renting in Sydney is very expensive though I would say approx twice the price of in Melbourne!!!! I can't compare anywhere else. Sydney has a fabulous coast and the beaches are stunning though

Watch out for the cockroaches - I kid you not!!! Look out for them on your inspection in the cupboards - you might not want to find flying ones late in the night like I did I sprayed them with Mortian and they flew straight at me.............

Good luck

Lau x
Old Feb 5th 2008, 8:19 am
Just Joined

TravellingSi is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Potato_potato
You could have gotten a money order from the post office & used EFTPOS to pay for it. EFT limits are higher than withdrawing from an ATM.

Money orders are as acceptable as bank cheques, actually they're preferred by most RE AGENTS.

They come in totals of $1k maximum limits or can be made out for less like a cheque. They charge a $3.50 fee per money order.
Thanks for the tip, I havent tried money orders and they sound cheaper than bank cheques, so maybe next time round. But the problem was that I had just opened a bank account, so no EFTPOS...
Old Feb 5th 2008, 8:57 am
BE Forum Addict

augigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond repute

Best way I paid a bond was direct online bank transfer - easy peasy!
Old Feb 5th 2008, 10:36 am
Just Joined

Nevis is an unknown quantity at this point

I see lots of people recommend Lane Cove and Crows Nest. Can anyone let me know which are the nearest train stations to these places. Many thanks
Old Feb 5th 2008, 3:42 pm
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nevis
I see lots of people recommend Lane Cove and Crows Nest. Can anyone let me know which are the nearest train stations to these places. Many thanks
Lane Cove is the awkward one, need to get a bus from there either into the CBD or to Artarmon station then train the rest of the way.

Crows Nest would be dependant on where in it you are but choice of 4 from St Leonards down to North Sydney.
Old Feb 5th 2008, 6:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

Katherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Nevis
Lane Cove is a nice area, but there is no train station and the buses in and out of the CBD at rush hour are a nightmare! (standing room only!)
Old Feb 6th 2008, 9:38 am
Forum Regular

s1mon321 is just really nices1mon321 is just really nices1mon321 is just really nices1mon321 is just really nices1mon321 is just really nices1mon321 is just really nices1mon321 is just really nices1mon321 is just really nices1mon321 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Reedy
Simon,

A tip would be to take all the documents that you need with you e.g. references from previous employer and Australian employer, evidence of funds in bank (statement or advice slip!) with you so that you can sort it out there and then! Make friends with the Real Estate Agent too as they ultimately get to make the decision of who gets the rental!!!

Renting in Sydney is very expensive though I would say approx twice the price of in Melbourne!!!! I can't compare anywhere else. Sydney has a fabulous coast and the beaches are stunning though

Watch out for the cockroaches - I kid you not!!! Look out for them on your inspection in the cupboards - you might not want to find flying ones late in the night like I did I sprayed them with Mortian and they flew straight at me.............

Good luck

Lau x
Ignoring the 'risk' factor, would any real estate agents consider an application without the person having viewed the property first????

If we really liked an area, had seen the ad as soon as it had appeared and liked what we saw - what would stop us for putting in an application and paying the bond??

Yes I know it would be risky etc, but would they consider it??? We will only be able to afford to stay in a hotel for a few weeks.

Cheers,

Simon
Old Feb 6th 2008, 10:05 am
Forum Regular

jondon is an unknown quantity at this point

In my opinion it is as bad as people say. We arrived in Jan 2007 and wanted to live in the inner west (Newtown, Erskineville, Alexandria etc to be near friends). We spent over two weeks getting up at 9am and looking until early evening everyday (we got bloody jobs in our field before we had somewhere to live!). We eventually got our place in Alexandria through begging the estate agent to let us see it before the home open and paying a deposit there and then (that said the house is lovely).

We are now trying to buy in the same area and that's just as bad. And with the interest rate rises I reckon renting is now gonna get harder as people think twice about buying.

Jon
Old Feb 6th 2008, 11:27 am
Forum Regular

tazkenny is an unknown quantity at this point

Another tip for snagging the apartment of choice is using a relocation company. Yes you will have to pay for the privilage but with their influence you should get to view the property before "open day" and get your application in first. They also do all the work in finding a list if properties that suit you, arrange a viewing for them all on a single day and take you round them all. Worked for me, thankfully it was part of my relo package so dunno how much it costs. Worth looking into.
Old Feb 6th 2008, 3:50 pm
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tazkenny
Another tip for snagging the apartment of choice is using a relocation company. Yes you will have to pay for the privilage but with their influence you should get to view the property before "open day" and get your application in first. They also do all the work in finding a list if properties that suit you, arrange a viewing for them all on a single day and take you round them all. Worked for me, thankfully it was part of my relo package so dunno how much it costs. Worth looking into.
Thats my plan as well, should make it go smoother although with me being a control freak not sure if the poor Broker will find it so smooth!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.