Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Renting in Sydney - reality check

Renting in Sydney - reality check

Old Aug 2nd 2007, 9:34 am
Just Joined

jfrewin is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Renting in Sydney - reality check

hi all. moving family to sydney in few months time and have looked at renting to start with in the Mosman area. Seems a nice +3 bedroom house is around the $1200-1500 a week mark!! Is this just a very expensive website I'm viewing or is that the current going rate?

Any other nice areas near Mosman/CBD you can recommend?

(Am viewing realeastate.com.au):
Old Aug 2nd 2007, 9:48 am
I don't give a damn

Fleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Renting in Sydney - reality check

Originally Posted by jfrewin
hi all. moving family to sydney in few months time and have looked at renting to start with in the Mosman area. Seems a nice +3 bedroom house is around the $1200-1500 a week mark!! Is this just a very expensive website I'm viewing or is that the current going rate?

No, i'd say thats pretty average for Mossie. Your website is probably the most commonly used here. You can try www.domain.com.au but they pretty much have the same stuff.
Mosman has some of the most expensive real estate in Sydney. It is a very upmarket suburb.
Old Aug 2nd 2007, 10:05 am
Just Joined

jfrewin is an unknown quantity at this point

thanks - i'll take a look at that site. any other nice areas you can suggest with good schooling?
Old Aug 2nd 2007, 3:18 pm
Forum Regular

BoredinBelfast is an unknown quantity at this point

thanks - i'll take a look at that site. any other nice areas you can suggest with good schooling?
Hi, we're heading out in 3 mths time and research on domain.com.au & realestate and questions posted on here have identified lots of areas within a 1hr commute to CBD & a rent of around $650PW for a 3/4br + 2 bath:

Lane Cove, Chatswood (pricier but 30min type commute)
Epping, Pennant Hills, Hornsby (better value, further out but on train line)

These are only a few examples that I have come across and I hope it helps but I will watch this thread with interest!

Good luck with your move!!
Old Aug 2nd 2007, 7:10 pm
Timelord

DrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond repute

Have a go with the search function and input rent+sydney... This questions comes up fairly regularly and there's lots of info in previous threads...
Old Aug 2nd 2007, 10:30 pm
Forum Regular

Trax is an unknown quantity at this point

Try areas such as Turramurra, St. Ives, Wahroonga, Lindfield. All on the North Shore train line (except St. Ives), but nice areas with good private and public schooling. Parking at train stations is free, but on a first come basis, and so quite as easy commute into the CBD. About 20 minutes drive to the beaches.

Rental agents here don't make much effort, so you will have to push for what you want.

Trax