Reload this Page >

Renting in Sydney

Renting in Sydney

Old Sep 26th 2004, 8:44 am
cath & rig

Cath & Rig is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Renting in Sydney

Hi all,
Been visiting this site for a couple of week and thanks for all the tips. However this is the first time to post, so hopefully someone can help.

I've just been offered a job in Sydney and need to start work in November :scared: Been looking at a 2 bedroom flats in North Sydney / Neutral Bay but would like to get the views of the forum what they think of the area. Is there any different areas you recommend / avoid am looking for a weekly rent of around $350. Can anybody recommend an estage agent that I can use as I'll need to rent the proporty before I actually arrive.
Old Sep 26th 2004, 9:30 am
Master of verbal pish©

soapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Renting in Sydney

Originally Posted by Cath & Rig
Hi all,
Been visiting this site for a couple of week and thanks for all the tips. However this is the first time to post, so hopefully someone can help.

I've just been offered a job in Sydney and need to start work in November :scared: Been looking at a 2 bedroom flats in North Sydney / Neutral Bay but would like to get the views of the forum what they think of the area. Is there any different areas you recommend / avoid am looking for a weekly rent of around $350. Can anybody recommend an estage agent that I can use as I'll need to rent the proporty before I actually arrive.
http://www.justlisted.com.au/resrent.asp
http://www.domain.com.au/Public/Adva...aspx?mode=rent
Old Sep 26th 2004, 9:45 am
cath & rig

Cheers for the links Soapy, much appreciated.
Do you know the North Sydney Area well?? Just want to get a feel for the location. Is it an ok kind of area or will we regret every second?? Is there anywhere else you recommend!!
Ta
Rig
Old Sep 26th 2004, 9:47 am
Master of verbal pish©

soapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers for the links Soapy, much appreciated.
Do you know the North Sydney Area well?? Just want to get a feel for the location. Is it an ok kind of area or will we regret every second?? Is there anywhere else you recommend!!
Ta
Rig
i dont know the noth of the city well enough. if u send rumbletum a PM im sure she will help u out. ive only been on visits to the north. nice place though
good luck with the job and your search

soapy
Old Sep 26th 2004, 10:02 am
cath & rig

Originally Posted by soapy
i dont know the noth of the city well enough. if u send rumbletum a PM im sure she will help u out. ive only been on visits to the north. nice place though

soapy
Cheers for the advice and the best wishes. Only found out about the job on Thursday and have less than 2 months to move myself, wife and cat over. :scared: Are there many expats living in Sydney?
Old Sep 26th 2004, 10:06 am
Master of verbal pish©

Cheers for the advice and the best wishes. Only found out about the job on Thursday and have less than 2 months to move myself, wife and cat over. :scared: Are there many expats living in Sydney?
well yeh more than there is Australians
we had a meet up today and about 36 people turned up and a load of kids.
Old Sep 26th 2004, 10:11 am
BE Forum Addict

MikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by soapy

soapy
Do you mean North Sydney - which is a specific place (just over the Bridge)? Not a bad place to rent - close to city (obviously!), where a lot of the more high-tech businesses have their offices. Other places to consider include Neutral Bay, Cremorne, and - further out - places on the rail line including Chatswood, St Leonards etc

Last edited by MikeStanton; Sep 26th 2004 at 10:14 am.
Old Sep 26th 2004, 10:20 am
cath & rig

Originally Posted by MikeStanton
Do you mean North Sydney - which is a specific place (just over the Bridge)? Not a bad place to rent - close to city (obviously!), where a lot of the more high-tech businesses have their offices. Other places to consider include Neutral Bay, Cremorne, and - further out - places on the rail line including Chatswood, St Leonards etc
Sorry MikeStanton,
Was referring to North of the bridge. Was consider Neutral Bay as there seems to be a lot of properties available but am open to suggestions. All I'm looking for is a fairly nice area which I can commute to the CBD in 15-30 mins by train / bus.
Old Sep 26th 2004, 1:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry MikeStanton,
Was referring to North of the bridge. Was consider Neutral Bay as there seems to be a lot of properties available but am open to suggestions. All I'm looking for is a fairly nice area which I can commute to the CBD in 15-30 mins by train / bus.
All the suburbs surrounding North Sydney (the suburb) are nice areas. This includes Neutral Bay, Cremorne, Mosman, Kirribilli, Milsons Point, Lavender Bay etc. Neutral Bay has an enormous number of blocks of flats which is why you'll see so many ads. You can commute to the city by ferry from any of those suburbs. Good shopping in that area.

As Mike says, further up the train line are St Leonards and Chatswood also with huge numbers of flats, and a reasonable commuting distance but the suburbs closer to the harbour are nicer. If you're working in the city, you could also consider Elizabeth Bay, Darling Point, Edgecliff, Double Bay etc south of the harbour.
Old Sep 26th 2004, 5:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

MikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry MikeStanton,
From North Sydney, Cremorne, you can do the trip by bus - depends on traffic - in ~30 mins : depending where you live you might also have the option of the ferry and still meet your commuting time limit (just!) You might also want to check out Manly - a 30 min ferry trip from Circular Quay.

Younger and/or 'professionals' tend to live in North Sydney, Cremorne or South of the Bridge in places like Edgecliff, Bondi, Randwick, Coogee, Newtown, Surry Hills (not to be confused with SurrEy Hills in Melbourne).

Manly, Fairlight, Balgowlah tend to be more family-oriented - ie quieter!

Last edited by MikeStanton; Sep 26th 2004 at 5:45 pm.
Old Sep 26th 2004, 11:40 pm
Monkey

In article <[email protected]> ,
member21907@british_expats.com (soapy) wrote:

>
    > > Hi all,
    > > Been visiting this site for a couple of week and thanks for all the
    > > tips. However this is the first time to post, so hopefully someone
    > > can help.
    > >
    > > I've just been offered a job in Sydney and need to start work in
    > > November :scared: Been looking at a 2 bedroom flats in North Sydney /
    > > Neutral Bay but would like to get the views of the forum what they
    > > think of the area. Is there any different areas you recommend / avoid
    > > am looking for a weekly rent of around $350. Can anybody recommend an
    > > estage agent that I can use as I'll need to rent the proporty before I
    > > actually arrive. :eek:
    >
    > http://www.justlisted.com.au/resrent.asp
    > http://www.domain.com.au/Public/Adva...aspx?mode=rent
    >
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com
    >

Thanks for the justlisted link, I've not seen that one before and it looks
very useful. I was going to look at share accommodation when I arrived
next Feb but there are some decent looking studio apartments on there...
hmmmm. Would be good to have my own space... but on the other hand as I'm
emigrating alone, going into a sharer would give me some instant chums.
Decisions...

--
Paul
http://www.labrose.com

Old Sep 27th 2004, 1:24 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

As the others have posted, the area in general is quite nice.

Renting a property unseen is *not* a good idea usually - it's a better idea to get a serviced apartment initially, although the weekly rate will be a lot higher. Your employer should be prepared to cover the first month or so's accommodation costs (at least that's what I'd expect as part of a relocation deal).

Where *exactly* in Sydney will you be working? For example, if you're going to be around Darling Harbour (southern end of the CBD) then the travel to/from North Sydney will be a lot longer compared to if you were working at the northern end of the Sydney CBD or north of the Bridge.

Visa question: what visa is your employer going to get for you, and if it's a temporary visa, are you fully aware of the risks/issues with temporary status in Australia? If you must come on a temporary visa, you should have a clear plan in place to obtain permanent residence.

Jeremy
Old Sep 27th 2004, 3:04 am
Forum Regular

piers_morgan has a brilliant futurepiers_morgan has a brilliant futurepiers_morgan has a brilliant futurepiers_morgan has a brilliant futurepiers_morgan has a brilliant futurepiers_morgan has a brilliant future

Congrats on the job offer. having moved ourselves in Jan I have a few tips for you:

- Try and shack up with friends/relatives here for a couple of weeks. This will enable you to suss out the area first before diving intoa 6month lease. Please note that you'll be lucky to sort out a rental from abroad. Estate agencies won't be bothered about you until you are here unfortunately!

- Bring along lots of documentation/references - that will impress the estate agencies here no end.

- Ask your future employer about temp accommodation.

Hope that helps.

Piers
Old Sep 27th 2004, 12:20 pm
cath & rig

Originally Posted by JAJ
As the others have posted, the area in general is quite nice.

Renting a property unseen is *not* a good idea usually - it's a better idea to get a serviced apartment initially, although the weekly rate will be a lot higher. Your employer should be prepared to cover the first month or so's accommodation costs (at least that's what I'd expect as part of a relocation deal).

Where *exactly* in Sydney will you be working? For example, if you're going to be around Darling Harbour (southern end of the CBD) then the travel to/from North Sydney will be a lot longer compared to if you were working at the northern end of the Sydney CBD or north of the Bridge.

Visa question: what visa is your employer going to get for you, and if it's a temporary visa, are you fully aware of the risks/issues with temporary status in Australia? If you must come on a temporary visa, you should have a clear plan in place to obtain permanent residence.

Jeremy
Hi J,
Work is situated in the Northern part of the CBD not far from the ferry termal that's why I'm looking at North of the bridge.

Regarding the Visa question I total understand the risk of a temp visa but the time scales for the job were tight. As part of my contract it states that I have medical insurance and an option for the company to sponsor me for permanent status after 6 months. I'm working on the basis that this could be a short term visit and that's why I haven't sold the house and most of my stuff will be in storage.

Is there any other pitfalls that I've missed (probably)?
Old Sep 27th 2004, 1:09 pm

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute

Balmoral is a lovely area...........a 15 minute walk/2 minute bus ride to the ferry point (at taranga zoo - did i spell that right??) then a 2 minute ferry ride to circular quay. VERY nice area (or was, 9 years ago!) lots of older/retired people but quite young and funky (or was 9 years ago!)

Bondipom will probably be able to tell you more.

sue

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.