Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Renting in Queensland

Renting in Queensland

Old Mar 6th 2005, 6:57 am

Shelley29 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Renting in Queensland

We, are planning to move to the Sunshine Coast in the next 4 months (subject to visa grant and house sale). We had hoped to secure a rental accommodation over the internet but have heard that this is not possible since the agents won't accept any offer to rent if you haven't physically been to the property.

Are most people, who are making the move, having a period of say 4 weeks in holiday rental, to enable them to find permanent rental and, if so, was this secured over the internet?

Also, can you get the kids into school if you are living in holiday rental or can you just let the school know as and when you move address (assuming you are remaining in the catchment area).

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Shelley
Old Mar 6th 2005, 7:39 am
Banned

kiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Renting in Queensland

Originally Posted by Shelley29
We, are planning to move to the Sunshine Coast in the next 4 months (subject to visa grant and house sale). We had hoped to secure a rental accommodation over the internet but have heard that this is not possible since the agents won't accept any offer to rent if you haven't physically been to the property.

Are most people, who are making the move, having a period of say 4 weeks in holiday rental, to enable them to find permanent rental and, if so, was this secured over the internet?

Also, can you get the kids into school if you are living in holiday rental or can you just let the school know as and when you move address (assuming you are remaining in the catchment area).

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Shelley
Try checking out: www.raywhite.com.au or www.century21.com.au I have heard they are more helpful if you are relocating from overseas, but this may ultimately depend on just who you happen to contact. Some people are more helpful than others.

You would probably need to check with the education department of the state you are in regarding the schooling question.

If you move to Queensland MAKE SURE you get a place with air-conditioning or you will start to die from september onwards of the year you come over in.

I was there one september and it hit 30c at 6am (and that was in brisbane, not the worst offender in the state at all!!!). And september is the start of spring here, NOT summer !!!
Old Mar 6th 2005, 8:45 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by kiwichild
If you move to Queensland MAKE SURE you get a place with air-conditioning or you will start to die from september onwards of the year you come over in.
My daughter has just spent 2 years in schools in QLD without air-con, and she doesn't think it's that bad. Maybe its because we are on the Bayside But very few schools actually have it anyway.

Old Mar 6th 2005, 9:54 am
BE Enthusiast

RReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud of

Hi Shelley, I hope I haven't scared you about the rental situation here! I just thought it was something I wish I'd known before heading out here. There is an article in the local paper today confirming what we found. There is only a 2% vacancy rate in this area. I think renting a holiday apartment for 4 weeks would be a good idea. I'm sure you will find something, just expect to work hard at it. As for schools... Mountain Creek High will not let you enrol without a long term rental property agreement as proof that you live in the catchment area. I'm not so sure about the primary schools. Mooloolaba didn't ask us for proof. If you contact the school direct before you get here they will let you know.
Don't let it put you off. It is lovely here. Worth the hassle of finding a rental property. If you don't need to be in the Mountain Creek High catchment you will find it much easier. Good luck. If you need any more info just pm me.
Rachel x
Old Mar 6th 2005, 10:29 am

biggy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by kiwichild
Try checking out: www.raywhite.com.au or www.century21.com.au I have heard they are more helpful if you are relocating from overseas, but this may ultimately depend on just who you happen to contact. Some people are more helpful than others.

You would probably need to check with the education department of the state you are in regarding the schooling question.

I was there one september and it hit 30c at 6am (and that was in brisbane, not the worst offender in the state at all!!!). And september is the start of spring here, NOT summer !!!
we have just spent our first summer here.....1 hours flight north of Brissy....most days we have been getting 35-40 degrees, we have air con in our rental, but have never used it..........we feel that it is better to get used to the heat.......air con is set far too cold here in shops etc, and thats why all the locals get ill in summer...............air con is CRAP!!!!!! just like central heating is in the UK
Old Mar 7th 2005, 10:02 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by biggy
we have just spent our first summer here.....1 hours flight north of Brissy....most days we have been getting 35-40 degrees, we have air con in our rental, but have never used it..........we feel that it is better to get used to the heat.......air con is set far too cold here in shops etc, and thats why all the locals get ill in summer...............air con is CRAP!!!!!! just like central heating is in the UK
Very rare I see a post from someone who agrees with me about air con! I hate it!! It really is too cold in most of the shops and offices, and it makes you prone to bugs etc as you are constantly going from hot to cold to hot, as well as because of all the germs that lurk in the systems. On days when I am at home alone I don't use it at all; its a hot state, so put up with the heat, its better for your body.
And for anyone with skin problems, like eczema - air con is a killer.
Old Mar 7th 2005, 10:14 am

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Very rare I see a post from someone who agrees with me about air con! I hate it!! It really is too cold in most of the shops and offices, and it makes you prone to bugs etc as you are constantly going from hot to cold to hot, as well as because of all the germs that lurk in the systems. On days when I am at home alone I don't use it at all; its a hot state, so put up with the heat, its better for your body.
yep I agree with the eczema part...my mate has it...when she is off work its fine but when she is in the air con its shockin

Be tough....get used to the heat
Old Mar 7th 2005, 10:49 am

Shelley29 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank's guys. Will keep all this in mind when the time comes. Personally, I too don't mind humidity, I suppose it is something you get used to. I hope the kids will, the australian kids manage - so I am sure they will. As for germs, we seem to catch everything that's going (school environment - kids coughing and sneezing on each other - I swear some of the parents don't teach their kids to put hand to mouth etc etc). We are hoping for a bit healther lifestyle when we arrive.
Old Mar 7th 2005, 11:41 am

Originally Posted by Shelley29
Thank's guys. Will keep all this in mind when the time comes. Personally, I too don't mind humidity, I suppose it is something you get used to. I hope the kids will, the australian kids manage - so I am sure they will. As for germs, we seem to catch everything that's going (school environment - kids coughing and sneezing on each other - I swear some of the parents don't teach their kids to put hand to mouth etc etc). We are hoping for a bit healther lifestyle when we arrive.

our kids have been fine with the heat and humidity......its the local kids that have been complainin lol
Old Mar 7th 2005, 3:13 pm
frozen to the keyboard

Brissiegirl has a spectacular aura aboutBrissiegirl has a spectacular aura aboutBrissiegirl has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Pollyana
I hate air con too.. would much rather tolerate the heat than be hot/cold/hot/cold all the flipping time..

I suffer from being in a warm office here, freezing at lunch, hot again.. cold going home... hate it.. my skin is cracking up