Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What is your favourite town in Victoria?

What is your favourite town in Victoria?

Old Jun 15th 2010, 2:29 am
Forum Regular

Sea Of Love is a name known to allSea Of Love is a name known to allSea Of Love is a name known to allSea Of Love is a name known to allSea Of Love is a name known to allSea Of Love is a name known to allSea Of Love is a name known to allSea Of Love is a name known to allSea Of Love is a name known to allSea Of Love is a name known to allSea Of Love is a name known to all
Default What is your favourite town in Victoria?

Hi guys,

I just have a few questions for you. We are considering a move to Victoria from Sydney next year and are unsure where we should look to go.

It will be a bit of a 'tree change' either near a regional centre or in a smaller town. Which are your favourite small country towns or regional centres in Victoria. Ultimately we are going to live on a farm with our horses and other pets.

We are going on a "location hunting" road trip next month and so far the places we are going to have a look at are
* the Lakes Entrance/Bairnsdale area - including Orbost and Metung.
* Sale
* Leongartha/Korumburra
* Mornington Peninsula
* Ballarat
* Hamilton
* Portland
* Port Fairy/ Warrnambool.

Is there anywhere else you would suggest we visit? what do you think of the areas already on my list?

We would prefer to be within an hour of the coast, have jobs for nurses, not in the areas that were torn apart on Black Saturday and have enough water. And so I am not too scared, is Victoria really that much colder than Sydney

thanks guys. Otherwise we were thinking of the Barossa Valley area or Nth NSW. it is all up in the air and a bit exciting too.
Old Jun 15th 2010, 3:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What is your favourite town in Victoria?

Echuca is my favourite town. Followed by Warrnambool.

Echuca offers a fantastic contrast to Melbourne, yet is quite close. Seems quite a wealthy place, not too small, fairly cosmopolitan... for a country town that is. Plus it's got the Murray river. The Friendly Locals dont seem jaded by tourists. Ohh just spotted Leongatha as well.... I'd like to check that out a bit more as well, seems incredibly scenic out that way.

Around where Hutch lives (Berry etc) is my favourite part of Scenic Aus... The Locals seem fairly up with it as well.

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Jun 15th 2010 at 3:35 am.
Old Jun 15th 2010, 4:19 am
221b Baker Street

Sherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond repute

We are going on a "location hunting" road trip next month and so far the places we are going to have a look at are
* the Lakes Entrance/Bairnsdale area - including Orbost and Metung.
* Sale
* Leongartha/Korumburra
* Mornington Peninsula
* Ballarat
* Hamilton
* Portland
* Port Fairy/ Warrnambool.

Lakes Entrance/ Sale - you may well get floods.

Leongatha area very nice scenery.

Ballarat, you will freeze to death (really).

Hamilton good but very unusually, the locals are a bit snotty.

Portland exists primarly because there is smelter there (but it keeps our rates down).

They are all very nice in their own way but my comments are accurate!!

PM me for more if interested, I live West of Hamilton. My wife is a mine of information having lived all over Victoria. Come and see us if you like.
Old Jun 15th 2010, 6:18 am
Recession Surfing 2006 ->

Zambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond repute

Queenscliff
Old Jun 15th 2010, 7:28 am
BE Forum Addict

jond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond repute

Mornington
Old Jun 15th 2010, 8:16 am
BE Forum Addict

Red_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond repute

Myrtleford, Bright, Ovens, Beechworth all nice and good for Albury Airport....but just re-read your comment about bush fires, so may be not.
Old Jun 15th 2010, 9:29 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute

Have you thought about Bright? Although the alps are very cold in winter they don't get the extreme heat in summer, they are very picturesque, I reckon Bright would be a lovely place to live if you could manage financially.

Plus the local microbrewery brews the best beer in Victoria!

BB
Old Jun 15th 2010, 9:45 am
Forum Regular

Sea Of Love is a name known to allSea Of Love is a name known to allSea Of Love is a name known to allSea Of Love is a name known to allSea Of Love is a name known to allSea Of Love is a name known to allSea Of Love is a name known to allSea Of Love is a name known to allSea Of Love is a name known to allSea Of Love is a name known to allSea Of Love is a name known to all

Wow thanks so much guys.

I just looked up Bright and wow what a beautiful little town. Liquid amber trees always get me! The only thing is I am moving there with my parents and they aren't crazy about really cold weather whereas I am but I will add it to towns to visit on our trip.

Are there any other towns in the snowy region that are really nice?
Old Jun 15th 2010, 10:28 am
BE Forum Addict

Pomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond repute

Beechworth is lovely too. Lots of history and lots on offer- but loads of tourists in summer.
Old Jun 15th 2010, 11:02 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Around where Hutch lives (Berry etc) is my favourite part of Scenic Aus... The Locals seem fairly up with it as well.
Only drawback to that is that it's in NSW and the Op wanted Vic... the poor deluded fools.
Old Jun 15th 2010, 11:03 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: What is your favourite town in Victoria?

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
Only drawback to that is that it's in NSW and the Op wanted Vic... the poor deluded fools.
Fortunately they wanted rural VIC.

Melbourne is full. (mainly with interstate emigrants)

BB
Old Jun 15th 2010, 11:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

I thought Bright was a great little place. Didn't look like there was much there jobs wise but had a cracking kids waterslide
Old Jun 15th 2010, 11:26 pm
Forum Regular

29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all

Around Melbourne - Mornington Peninsula, Healsville, Yarra Valley, Bellarine Peninsula (Queenscliffe, Point Lonsdale, Ocean Grove and Barwon Heads), Woodend and Mount Macedon Areas

Regional VIC Mildura, Echucha, Bright, Beechworth, The High Country, Around the Gippsland Lakes, Bendigo Area, Along the Great Ocean Road, Grampians Area,

Probably missed a few off