Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Renting in Perth?

Renting in Perth?

Old Oct 24th 2010, 9:46 am
Just Joined

Littlemissdonx is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Renting in Perth?

Me and my boyfriend are going to Perth on a working holiday visa and we would like to rent somewhere long term when we get there.

How easy is this to do and what paper work would an estate agent require? We will be able to pay bonds etc for this but is there anything else they need to see and will it be a problem that we are on a WHV?

Any tips and advice would be much appreciated and names of any helpful estate agents would be helpful too.

Thanks very much.
Old Oct 24th 2010, 12:21 pm
Hillarys, Perth

h2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Renting in Perth?

Originally Posted by Littlemissdonx
Me and my boyfriend are going to Perth on a working holiday visa and we would like to rent somewhere long term when we get there.

How easy is this to do and what paper work would an estate agent require? We will be able to pay bonds etc for this but is there anything else they need to see and will it be a problem that we are on a WHV?

Any tips and advice would be much appreciated and names of any helpful estate agents would be helpful too.

Thanks very much.
Hi there

Our experience when we first went for a rental was there is/was high demand for quality properties. People will offer more per week (in some cases) to ensure the get the property!

Do your homework, find the location and the price you want to pay.... then when you find a house have the rental forms already filled out (visit the agent prior to the viewing to get the forms) then when you decide you want it, submit the forms and at least the 1st month rent (CASH!) to show you are serious. If for any reason you are not successful, you will get all the money back.

To see what is available and how much, you can search the rentals here...
www.reiwa.com.au
www.realestate.com.au

The closer to the beach or the city, the more you will pay.
If you're young and looking for night life, an apartment near the city (Subiaco) might be right for you? Most places if not all will be un-furnished, so when you arrive and do not have furniture.... remember that.

You'll have to pay a bond as you are aware and we have had inspections every three months.

Bring references of people that know you that can verify you are of good standing and not going to wreck the place.

If you really like the place and you know it is what you want, offer a longer rental contract i.e. 2 years.... if you're sure it's the right place etc.

Something decent will be $450 - $550 a week, but will vary according to size and location of course.

Do you know what areas you'll be looking??? post it on here and people may have suggestions..... we move out of our rental next Friday after 4 years..... finally bought our own home!!

Good luck
Neil.
Old Oct 25th 2010, 12:35 pm
Forum Regular

upyerfud is a name known to allupyerfud is a name known to allupyerfud is a name known to allupyerfud is a name known to allupyerfud is a name known to allupyerfud is a name known to allupyerfud is a name known to allupyerfud is a name known to allupyerfud is a name known to allupyerfud is a name known to allupyerfud is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Littlemissdonx

Thanks very much.

Helpful estate agent? Bit of a misnomer there. They help themselves first, the owner second and you last.
Perth has good availability at the moment, there is no shortage of decent 1 and 2 bedroom units in city, East, West Perth, Leederville, Highgate, Northbridge, Subiaco etc. And there's plenty of furnished units in these areas from $350/week upwards.
Couple of references, employment contract, passport, bank account all required. You will really struggle to get accepted if your not already working unless the bank account is looking good. Paying the first months rent cash on application is wrong advice, all that is required is 1 weeks deposit, which will not be returned if you are accepted and turn down the offer. It is returned if you don't get accepted.
Have a look on the websites mentioned, but be prepared to be disappointed if you mention WHV. I wouldn't unless asked. And stay clear of the 'bargains' on Gumtree unless you wan't to lose some money to Nigerian scammers.

Last edited by upyerfud; Oct 25th 2010 at 12:41 pm.
Old Oct 25th 2010, 4:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

pomerz is a glorious beacon of lightpomerz is a glorious beacon of lightpomerz is a glorious beacon of lightpomerz is a glorious beacon of lightpomerz is a glorious beacon of lightpomerz is a glorious beacon of lightpomerz is a glorious beacon of lightpomerz is a glorious beacon of lightpomerz is a glorious beacon of lightpomerz is a glorious beacon of lightpomerz is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by upyerfud
Helpful estate agent? Bit of a misnomer there. They help themselves first, the owner second and you last.
Perth has good availability at the moment, there is no shortage of decent 1 and 2 bedroom units in city, East, West Perth, Leederville, Highgate, Northbridge, Subiaco etc. And there's plenty of furnished units in these areas from $350/week upwards.
Couple of references, employment contract, passport, bank account all required. You will really struggle to get accepted if your not already working unless the bank account is looking good. Paying the first months rent cash on application is wrong advice, all that is required is 1 weeks deposit, which will not be returned if you are accepted and turn down the offer. It is returned if you don't get accepted.
Have a look on the websites mentioned, but be prepared to be disappointed if you mention WHV. I wouldn't unless asked. And stay clear of the 'bargains' on Gumtree unless you wan't to lose some money to Nigerian scammers.
Never been good with abreviations sorry whats WHV and is it right to go steaming in with an offer of 6 months rent up front or does this depend on the 'agent' ?
Old Oct 26th 2010, 7:02 am
BE Forum Addict

Steve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by h2oskineil
People will offer more per week (in some cases) to ensure the get the property!
Isn't this illegal?
Originally Posted by pomerz
Never been good with abreviations sorry whats WHV and is it right to go steaming in with an offer of 6 months rent up front or does this depend on the 'agent' ?
This is a common strategy in QLD to secure an exceptional rental. As the poster above mentioned, don't get caught up in the idea that the landlord/agent has the power in the negotiation. They would love for everyone to believe this and that there is a shortage but there is lots of choice in certain regions at the moment, certainly in QLD and WA has been mentioned as being a soft market at the moment too. As with all purchases, don't limit your choices/options and keep an open mind. 'Falling in love' is expensive!
Old Oct 26th 2010, 12:58 pm
Forum Regular

upyerfud is a name known to allupyerfud is a name known to allupyerfud is a name known to allupyerfud is a name known to allupyerfud is a name known to allupyerfud is a name known to allupyerfud is a name known to allupyerfud is a name known to allupyerfud is a name known to allupyerfud is a name known to allupyerfud is a name known to all

Originally Posted by pomerz
Working holiday visa, big clue in first line of first post.
Totally unnecessary to offer 6 months rent upfront, and quite possibly the agent is breaking the law if they accept it ( may only apply in some states). Don't begin to believe there is a rental shortage, either furnished or otherwise in Perth at the moment. Totally not true if your after a 1 or 2 bed unit close to city centre. I've recently spent a week looking at moving from a rental in West Perth as owner was dragging heels about renewing lease. There's large amounts available, and good quality furnished starting from $350/week in the areas I mentioned already. And viewings when it suited me, not the agent, means there's properties lying empty.
I would have moved easily apart from the hassle of trying to fit it into a job working away for 3 weeks a month, and having to change address with direct debits etc. When owner realised that, $10/week increase for another year was very quickly agreed.
Rental market in Perth is buyers market, not sellers at the moment, rents are not increasing (apart from mine)
You arrive here, book a short term rental or hotel for a couple weeks, get your paperwork in order and you should not have a problem finding what you wan't long term. And don't offer over the asking price.
Old Oct 26th 2010, 2:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

dave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond repute

I have rented here on a WHV with no problems. As long as you can take along a fairly recent bank statement showing you do have some money to cover the rent then its no problem at all

I first rented in perth for a few months then moved to adelaide, both times renting on a WHV with no job and didnt have any problems at all.