Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Renting in Perth

Renting in Perth

Old Oct 29th 2007, 12:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

ianhutch1 has much to be proud ofianhutch1 has much to be proud ofianhutch1 has much to be proud ofianhutch1 has much to be proud ofianhutch1 has much to be proud ofianhutch1 has much to be proud ofianhutch1 has much to be proud ofianhutch1 has much to be proud ofianhutch1 has much to be proud ofianhutch1 has much to be proud ofianhutch1 has much to be proud of
Default Renting in Perth

Afternoon all

Just after some advice on renting in Perth please.

We have had our 457 application in for 6 weeks now so are pretty hopeful that within the next month we are going to hear if it was succesful or not.

What is the situation with renting in Perth? Initially we would like something for around 6 months while we get our bearings but how much would a 3/4 bed house with a pool cost to rent per month in a decent suburb?

We are looking to try to keep our rental costs down as much as possible as my wife will be hopefully going straight into study and a part time job while I bring in the majority of the money and obviously we want as much spare cash as possible to go and see everything for the first year or so.

Also, how available are houses to rent and what do we do if we have never rented before (have our own house in the UK) so have no references available although I am going into a decent job as the MD of a company in Perth so maybe that will look good to our prospective landlord...

Thanks
Old Oct 29th 2007, 12:56 pm
Just Joined

NeilP is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Renting in Perth

You'd probably looking at around the 400 dollar mark for something decent. It took us some time to find one that we liked, the rental market is very competitive at the moment. You shouldn't have a problem with your job, make sure you have got things like bank statements etc to provide as references and someone they can ring to confirm your job. We also put together a 'further info' page to include with our rental application as we found the forms were geared towards people with previous rental references.
It might be worth putting on the form that you want the property for 12 months as 6 month months may put a londlord off - maybe ask an agent before you put any applications in.

Hope this helps!
Old Oct 30th 2007, 9:11 am
BE Enthusiast

ianhutch1 has much to be proud ofianhutch1 has much to be proud ofianhutch1 has much to be proud ofianhutch1 has much to be proud ofianhutch1 has much to be proud ofianhutch1 has much to be proud ofianhutch1 has much to be proud ofianhutch1 has much to be proud ofianhutch1 has much to be proud ofianhutch1 has much to be proud ofianhutch1 has much to be proud of

Thanks Neil thats perfect.

When you say that you added a further info page with your application what kind of info did you put on it?
Old Oct 30th 2007, 11:03 am
Just Joined

NeilP is on a distinguished road

I put some further employment history, - I ran my own company in the UK so put down a business reference and also details of who I was employed by before then. We also put details of the house we own in the UK (e.g. estimated value and rental income) and rental references from about ten years ago before buying a house. Basically anything that we thought might help our application. I don't know if it made any differnce, but it didn't do any harm.

Good luck with your move!

Neil
Old Oct 30th 2007, 11:42 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Depends where you want to be. If you want to be in a suburb close to the beach then personally I think you are looking at $500 + for decent, particularly if you want a pool. Take a look at www.realestate.com.au and also www.aussiemove.com for a good suburb map with profiles.
Old Oct 30th 2007, 12:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by northernbird
Depends where you want to be. If you want to be in a suburb close to the beach then personally I think you are looking at $500 + for decent, particularly if you want a pool. Take a look at www.realestate.com.au and also www.aussiemove.com for a good suburb map with profiles.
You're right. I've been looking today and there are very few decent ones in decent suburbs for less than $500
Old Oct 30th 2007, 1:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by northernbird
Thanks for that, seems you are right there isnt much for under $500 per week.

Could prove an expensive business this renting lark...
Old Oct 30th 2007, 3:06 pm
Forum Regular

charmed will become famous soon enoughcharmed will become famous soon enough

hi, Just a quick question is it the uk bank accounts you should bring with you??

Thanks

Joy
Old Nov 2nd 2007, 8:34 am
BE Enthusiast

I have been recommended the following places by one of my friends in Perth, anyone want to add anywhere?

Belmont
Manning
Como
Lathlain
Leeming
Bentley

We would love to be near the beach but dont think our initial budget will allow that, unless there is somewhere anyone knows of where prices are reasoonable? We dont really mind commuting but not too far.
Old Nov 2nd 2007, 10:07 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ianhutch1
I have been recommended the following places by one of my friends in Perth, anyone want to add anywhere?

Belmont
Manning
Como
Lathlain
Leeming
Bentley

We would love to be near the beach but dont think our initial budget will allow that, unless there is somewhere anyone knows of where prices are reasoonable? We dont really mind commuting but not too far.
Como and Leeming are nice. I have friends in both. Personally I don't like Belmont or Bentley (sorry to anyone who may live there). Don't know Manning or Lathlain. What is your budget and where is your office?
Old Nov 2nd 2007, 10:39 am
BE Enthusiast

The office is in Welshpool but my wife wont be getting a job until we are out there so to be honest we arent really bothered where we live providing its within sensible commuting of around 45 minutes.

Budget will be around $450-$500 a week until my wife gets sorted with employment which I know is a bit tight.

We are actually swaying towards 3/2 apartments on the river from what we have seen on reiwa.com today which seem to be coming in around $450/w, have never lived in a city before and wouldnt mind giving it a try plus all the houses we have seen have some "intersting" choices of decor which would drive me mad not being able to change

I would still love to live near the beach though, maybe when we have a better budget!

Last edited by ianhutch1; Nov 2nd 2007 at 10:41 am.