Renting in oz?

Old Jan 15th 2009, 8:51 pm
  #1  
BE Enthusiast
Thread Starter
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: Runaway Bay, Gold coast, QLD
Posts: 338
davidb1989 is a name known to alldavidb1989 is a name known to alldavidb1989 is a name known to alldavidb1989 is a name known to alldavidb1989 is a name known to alldavidb1989 is a name known to alldavidb1989 is a name known to alldavidb1989 is a name known to alldavidb1989 is a name known to alldavidb1989 is a name known to alldavidb1989 is a name known to all
Default Renting in oz?

will i be able to get a house to rent easy? as you dont take your credit rating with you
davidb1989 is offline  
Old Jan 15th 2009, 8:53 pm
  #2  
burleigh chick
 
Joined: Feb 2008
Location: Gold Coast
Posts: 113
holly30 is just really niceholly30 is just really niceholly30 is just really niceholly30 is just really niceholly30 is just really niceholly30 is just really niceholly30 is just really niceholly30 is just really nice
Default Re: Renting in oz?

depends where you are intending to go?
but in general there are plenty of rentals available.
holly30 is offline  
Old Jan 15th 2009, 8:55 pm
  #3  
BE Enthusiast
Thread Starter
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: Runaway Bay, Gold coast, QLD
Posts: 338
davidb1989 is a name known to alldavidb1989 is a name known to alldavidb1989 is a name known to alldavidb1989 is a name known to alldavidb1989 is a name known to alldavidb1989 is a name known to alldavidb1989 is a name known to alldavidb1989 is a name known to alldavidb1989 is a name known to alldavidb1989 is a name known to alldavidb1989 is a name known to all
Default Re: Renting in oz?

Originally Posted by holly30 View Post
depends where you are intending to go?
but in general there are plenty of rentals available.
brisbane and will they let it to me if i have no credit rating there
davidb1989 is offline  
Old Jan 15th 2009, 8:56 pm
  #4  
Forum Regular
 
vickiejaynem's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: scotland
Posts: 203
vickiejaynem will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Renting in oz?

Originally Posted by holly30 View Post
depends where you are intending to go?
but in general there are plenty of rentals available.
there also sites here in UK that do rentals in OZ but they bit pricier it seems. They give you email for person renting it out there.
vickiejaynem is offline  
Old Jan 15th 2009, 8:59 pm
  #5  
burleigh chick
 
Joined: Feb 2008
Location: Gold Coast
Posts: 113
holly30 is just really niceholly30 is just really niceholly30 is just really niceholly30 is just really niceholly30 is just really niceholly30 is just really niceholly30 is just really niceholly30 is just really nice
Default Re: Renting in oz?

Originally Posted by davidb1989 View Post
brisbane and will they let it to me if i have no credit rating there
most people that arrive here in oz do not have any credit rating and we all find rentals to start us off.
You will need to give the realestate confirmation of your employment and maybe bank statements from the u.k proving you can afford the rent to start with, many people come over here with no job to start with.
holly30 is offline  
Old Jan 15th 2009, 9:09 pm
  #6  
BE Enthusiast
Thread Starter
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: Runaway Bay, Gold coast, QLD
Posts: 338
davidb1989 is a name known to alldavidb1989 is a name known to alldavidb1989 is a name known to alldavidb1989 is a name known to alldavidb1989 is a name known to alldavidb1989 is a name known to alldavidb1989 is a name known to alldavidb1989 is a name known to alldavidb1989 is a name known to alldavidb1989 is a name known to alldavidb1989 is a name known to all
Default Re: Renting in oz?

Originally Posted by holly30 View Post
most people that arrive here in oz do not have any credit rating and we all find rentals to start us off.
You will need to give the realestate confirmation of your employment and maybe bank statements from the u.k proving you can afford the rent to start with, many people come over here with no job to start with.
thanks for your help il bare that in mind
davidb1989 is offline  
Old Jan 15th 2009, 9:18 pm
  #7  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 226
daddyoconnor will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Renting in oz?

Originally Posted by holly30 View Post
depends where you are intending to go?
but in general there are plenty of rentals available.
Hi

Am glad to hear you say that, but just a point, not sure if anyone else is with me on this, but I have read loads of Threads about buying and renting in Aus and alot of people commenting on how difficult it is to find rental properties when you first arrive....i think i even remember various posts about queues of about 30-50 people waiting to place a stake on one rental.....Or have i imagined this.....Hope so, your view sounds much better....


Amanda
daddyoconnor is offline  
Old Jan 15th 2009, 9:22 pm
  #8  
burleigh chick
 
Joined: Feb 2008
Location: Gold Coast
Posts: 113
holly30 is just really niceholly30 is just really niceholly30 is just really niceholly30 is just really niceholly30 is just really niceholly30 is just really niceholly30 is just really niceholly30 is just really nice
Default Re: Renting in oz?

this is our 2nd attemp over here in 2007 we found a rental esy and this time round too.
you are right they do have open houses, the most people i've seen at one is 15, but as of yet..touch wood! we have had no worries.
holly30 is offline  
Old Jan 15th 2009, 9:27 pm
  #9  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 226
daddyoconnor will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Renting in oz?

Originally Posted by holly30 View Post
this is our 2nd attemp over here in 2007 we found a rental esy and this time round too.
you are right they do have open houses, the most people i've seen at one is 15, but as of yet..touch wood! we have had no worries.
Glad to hear that,

Sometimes when you read some of these Threads they do kind of worry you - whether it's about renting, buying houses, finding jobs etc....

Anyway thanks for putting my mind at rest, its not as bad as i was imagining....
daddyoconnor is offline  
Old Jan 15th 2009, 10:44 pm
  #10  
Cad and bounder
 
perksy's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 1,080
perksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Renting in oz?

Sorry for hijacking this thread.

Just a quickie about renting......

Will it be easy for us to rent without references? Our house in the UK will be rented out when we go to Oz. We dont have a mortgage on it so hence no references from the bank. We are both self-employed in the UK at present so cant get references from employer either.

In Oz we'll be on the student visa route so we cant get any references from a prospective Aussie employer just yet.

Any help/advice would be most welcome as to the potential difficulties if any we may face while renting in Oz.
perksy is offline  
Old Jan 15th 2009, 10:49 pm
  #11  
Karma Comedian
 
jayr's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2003
Location: Brisvegas
Posts: 3,506
jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Renting in oz?

Originally Posted by perksy View Post
Sorry for hijacking this thread.

Any help/advice would be most welcome as to the potential difficulties if any we may face while renting in Oz.
You will fill out a form for the agent describing things like what you do/icnome etc. As I recall they will also seek references and/or a character refernce in Australia.

The owner will look at each of these applications (if they receive more than one) and decide who they want as a tenant. Clealry, stronger applications will win. However, if you cannot submit a strong application, you will find that a) suggesting a longer term lease (12 or 18 months) or b) offering to pay say 3 months up front will likely add to the strength of your application.
jayr is offline  
Old Jan 15th 2009, 10:55 pm
  #12  
Cad and bounder
 
perksy's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 1,080
perksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Renting in oz?

Originally Posted by jayr View Post
You will fill out a form for the agent describing things like what you do/icnome etc. As I recall they will also seek references and/or a character refernce in Australia.

The owner will look at each of these applications (if they receive more than one) and decide who they want as a tenant. Clealry, stronger applications will win. However, if you cannot submit a strong application, you will find that a) suggesting a longer term lease (12 or 18 months) or b) offering to pay say 3 months up front will likely add to the strength of your application.
Cheers for that I'll bear that in mind. I guess it would be advisable to organise some character references from here in the UK to try and add some substance to our application. Any idea about the content of a character ref? Is it just the standard "Fred Bloggs is of sound character etc...."
perksy is offline  
Old Jan 15th 2009, 11:05 pm
  #13  
Niamh,Paul + 4 :)
 
Baby75's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: sunshine coast, now back home in Ireland :)
Posts: 1,861
Baby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Renting in oz?

Hello all

When we arrived we were staying with friends, but I know most people stay in a holiday let to start off with find thier feet and that.

this is how we got our rental,
got a bank account (use holiday accommodation address if your able) applied for TFN we applied on line came with in 10 days. register with centerlink, and medicare. when you have a letter from center link and your medicare card. my dh had a job but was only working a couple of weeks.

so when you go for a rental, this should be enough, when you are accepted for a rental you pay two weeks up front and when you are given the keys you pay your bond.

if you go in and chat with the real estate agent they will tell you every thing you need to know, might be a good idea to bring references some one has already mentioned that.

you might find you have to view a few houses before you get one you want. but keep at it it is possible.
Baby75 is offline  
Old Jan 15th 2009, 11:13 pm
  #14  
Cad and bounder
 
perksy's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 1,080
perksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Renting in oz?

Originally Posted by Baby75 View Post
Hello all

When we arrived we were staying with friends, but I know most people stay in a holiday let to start off with find thier feet and that.

this is how we got our rental,
got a bank account (use holiday accommodation address if your able) applied for TFN we applied on line came with in 10 days. register with centerlink, and medicare. when you have a letter from center link and your medicare card. my dh had a job but was only working a couple of weeks.

so when you go for a rental, this should be enough, when you are accepted for a rental you pay two weeks up front and when you are given the keys you pay your bond.

if you go in and chat with the real estate agent they will tell you every thing you need to know, might be a good idea to bring references some one has already mentioned that.

you might find you have to view a few houses before you get one you want. but keep at it it is possible.

Cheers for that, it sounds sound advice
perksy is offline  
Old Jan 15th 2009, 11:31 pm
  #15  
BE Enthusiast
 
Dawn-D's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 312
Dawn-D is just really niceDawn-D is just really niceDawn-D is just really niceDawn-D is just really niceDawn-D is just really niceDawn-D is just really niceDawn-D is just really niceDawn-D is just really niceDawn-D is just really nice
Default Re: Renting in oz?

Originally Posted by perksy View Post
Sorry for hijacking this thread.

Just a quickie about renting......

Will it be easy for us to rent without references? Our house in the UK will be rented out when we go to Oz. We dont have a mortgage on it so hence no references from the bank. We are both self-employed in the UK at present so cant get references from employer either.

In Oz we'll be on the student visa route so we cant get any references from a prospective Aussie employer just yet.

Any help/advice would be most welcome as to the potential difficulties if any we may face while renting in Oz.

Hi, I too was self employed in the uk and when we moved in November 2008 I used my self assessment tax form as part of my ID which they accepted. We are in Townsville, Queensland and all the agents we looked at we were to that both of us had produce ID equally to the 100 points ID that they require. I produced our UK bank statement, UK driving license, tax return, passport and a reference from a mate! Hope this helps

Dawn
Dawn-D is offline  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.