Renting in Oz

Old May 18th 2003, 8:51 am
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of
Default Renting in Oz

We hope to rent a 4 bed house a couple of weeks after we arrive in Oz. Any ideas on what proof I will need to show to do this?

We won't have jobs but will have quite a bit of money in the bank, will this be good enough as an income ?

Let me know how you found the rental process.

Also if you find a property you like and it is empty how long do you have to wait before you can move in?

Thanks for your thoughts
Old May 18th 2003, 9:50 am
Forum Regular

mandandbri is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

Depends where in OZ we have just rented in Perth and found it quite easy!!

If you are going there I can help it maybe different elsewhere.

manda
Old May 18th 2003, 11:22 am
Forum Regular

Gavin B is an unknown quantity at this point

yeh, actually, I could do with some help on this.

I've wondered if you had to have a job to rent. We're staying with my wife's cousin in Brisbane, but we only want to stay there for a couple of weeks before renting our own flat in the city. Will we have problems if we don't have jobs?
Old May 18th 2003, 12:17 pm
Forum Regular

mandandbri is an unknown quantity at this point

As long as you have the bond and a few references from home that is fine.

We used my hubbies work!! The guy we rent off is a brit and really just wanted someone who would look after his house. We went through an agent but it was the guys final choice who he rented to!!

Manda
Old May 18th 2003, 12:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

scoobydooathome is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Renting in Oz

Originally posted by tinaj
We hope to rent a 4 bed house a couple of weeks after we arrive in Oz. Any ideas on what proof I will need to show to do this?

We won't have jobs but will have quite a bit of money in the bank, will this be good enough as an income ?

Also if you find a property you like and it is empty how long do you have to wait before you can move in?

Thanks for your thoughts
Also renting seems very very cheap, but you sign for 6 months min and the house may get sold from under you feet ... but who cares it's just temp,
Old May 18th 2003, 12:26 pm
Forum Regular

So, you reckon bring references from England then?
Old May 18th 2003, 12:59 pm
Forum Regular

Teliko19 is an unknown quantity at this point

I didn't have to supply references and I don't have a job and I am a student

References can't hurt though!
Old May 18th 2003, 1:12 pm
Forum Regular

I am liking that last post!

Cheers for that. Gives me a lot of hope!
Old May 18th 2003, 1:18 pm
Crocodile Member

Location: Wurtulla, Sunshine Coast. Crikey Terri, That's a BIG ONE!
Andy_Hanrahan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Renting in Oz

The only thing I would say about renting is that as far as I can tell, and from what I've heard, almost all rental properties in Oz are unfurnished, apart from holiday accomodation. It seems there is just not a market for furnished property like there is here.

Obviously not a problem if you are planning to buy stuff straight away, or timing your arrival with whatever you're bringing over. Does anyone know different on this?

Andy

Originally posted by tinaj

Thanks for your thoughts
Old May 18th 2003, 1:22 pm
Forum Regular

That is a bit worrying as we're not bringing much furniture. Anyone shed any light on this?
Old May 18th 2003, 1:31 pm
Crocodile Member

Location: Wurtulla, Sunshine Coast. Crikey Terri, That's a BIG ONE!
Andy_Hanrahan is an unknown quantity at this point

Gavin, you may find holiday accomodation is priced not much higher than rentals, especially if you arrive off season and you want to rent for a couple of months. A lot of rental owners are willing to give you a good deal on that basis. this is what we plan to do as we're not bringing much either. Where are you going?

Andy

Originally posted by Gavin B
That is a bit worrying as we're not bringing much furniture. Anyone shed any light on this?
Old May 18th 2003, 1:33 pm
Forum Regular

Well, we're planning to rent a 2-bed flat in or around the city centre for about a year until we get to know the city and suburbs better and then go on to buying a place.

So, really, when we rent, we want it to be for about a year...
BE Enthusiast

Mandy Bale will become famous soon enough

we paid 6 months up front for rental. That way we didn't need any references or any checks, just gave them a cheque for the full 6 months amount. If we hadn't here in NSW then we would have had to meet certain checks for points, i.e so many points for having a job, so many points for previous rental payments etc. If you get my drift! that was how the agency worked who we went with, not sure how it goes with other agencies though. I'm sure it depends on the agency. I agree that you don't see many (if any) that are fully furnished though.

Mandy
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of

When i was over there we had a look at renting prices and found that its not really a problem if you want furnished. From what we saw about 20-30% were furnished. Just be prepared for a smaller selection if you really need a furnished house.

We plan to rent unfurnished and buy the basics of what we need secondhand/plunder my inlaws/buy cheap stuff new. You can always buy nicer stuff later on when you know where you want to buy a home.

You normally get the basic kitchen fittings (like oven hob etc, somtimes a fridge/washing machine).

Cheers

Pete.
Old May 18th 2003, 1:34 pm
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of

check out www.realestate.com.au

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.