Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Renting out your home back in the UK

Renting out your home back in the UK

Old Jun 25th 2010, 2:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Renting out your home back in the UK

Originally Posted by LondonIrish74
Hi all and thanks for your comments!

Just to give you all a bit of feedback, I did eventually go to a local Estate Agent and pay the full management fee (15%), which is ok if the tenant paid, however 15% of £0 is, well, not much
Also, please be warned that if non-paying tenants have children and state they cannot afford to move out and have nowhere else to go, it appears that, legally, you cannot move them out for up to 12 months, even if they are not paying any rent for those 12 months?

I'm seriously thinking of moving back in and topping and tailing with the buggers! That should shift them!

Ouch! When did this start?
Old Jun 25th 2010, 10:02 pm
Bright in Orange

Scotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond repute

Just to give you all a bit of feedback, I did eventually go to a local Estate Agent and pay the full management fee (15%), which is ok if the tenant paid, however 15% of £0 is, well, not much
Also, please be warned that if non-paying tenants have children and state they cannot afford to move out and have nowhere else to go, it appears that, legally, you cannot move them out for up to 12 months, even if they are not paying any rent for those 12 months?

I'm seriously thinking of moving back in and topping and tailing with the buggers! That should shift them!
Hi London Irish - think your agent may be confusing a few things as well as charging you a fortune. If the tenants don't pay the rent, you are well within your rights to start proceedings to seek possession of the property. However if the tenant can't afford to pay (ie lost job or something else has changed) then they should be entitled to housing benefit which should cover a lot (but perhaps not all) the rent. Although it can take a while to evict anyone, not just those with children, and be expensive, there is no reason not to do it for up to a year. The local authority then may have responsibilites for the tenant's children to ensure they have somewhere to live, but that is a different issue.
Your agent would probably be better off ensuring that your tenants can pay the rent before letting your property and helping them get housing benefit if needed. 15% is quite a high agency fee even for london - I used to pay 10 in london, admittedly a few years ago.
This is the letting agencies professional body. A good place to start if looking for a good agent

http://www.arla.co.uk/

Scotty
Old Jun 25th 2010, 10:11 pm
Bright in Orange

Scotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paulry
Some great tips here, Thanks

Can anyone recommend (with first hand experience) a good rental/estate agent in the West London/Heathrow area?
Hi paulry

I used these people when I let out my home in richmond a while back

http://www.jamesanderson.co.uk/

Very happy with service and I used them for three years. May be not quite the right place but still somewhere to start.

Scotty
Old Jun 26th 2010, 1:52 am
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scotty1
Hi paulry

I used these people when I let out my home in richmond a while back

http://www.jamesanderson.co.uk/

Very happy with service and I used them for three years. May be not quite the right place but still somewhere to start.

Scotty
Hi Scotty, Their areas appear to only include SW13, 14 and 15. I'm TW14. But thanks anyway
Old Jun 26th 2010, 10:07 am
Forum Regular

stuartsummers1980 has a spectacular aura aboutstuartsummers1980 has a spectacular aura aboutstuartsummers1980 has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by paulry
Hi Scotty, Their areas appear to only include SW13, 14 and 15. I'm TW14. But thanks anyway
None of the big players are out in TW14 so your best bet is to go on findaproperty.com, rightmove.co.uk or primelocation.com and see who has the best market presence in terms of number of properties. Its a safe bet to then go with one of them. If TW14 is where I think it is then there's going to be some seriously low flying aircraft around there, so you'll need a good agent!
Old Jun 26th 2010, 10:13 am
Forum Regular

stuartsummers1980 has a spectacular aura aboutstuartsummers1980 has a spectacular aura aboutstuartsummers1980 has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Scotty1
Hi London Irish - think your agent may be confusing a few things as well as charging you a fortune. If the tenants don't pay the rent, you are well within your rights to start proceedings to seek possession of the property. However if the tenant can't afford to pay (ie lost job or something else has changed) then they should be entitled to housing benefit which should cover a lot (but perhaps not all) the rent. Although it can take a while to evict anyone, not just those with children, and be expensive, there is no reason not to do it for up to a year. The local authority then may have responsibilites for the tenant's children to ensure they have somewhere to live, but that is a different issue.
Your agent would probably be better off ensuring that your tenants can pay the rent before letting your property and helping them get housing benefit if needed. 15% is quite a high agency fee even for london - I used to pay 10 in london, admittedly a few years ago.
This is the letting agencies professional body. A good place to start if looking for a good agent

http://www.arla.co.uk/

Scotty
Just to second this, I've never heard of children in a property preventing you from seeking possession especially where the tenancy is an Assured Shorthold Tenancy. There are certain complexities with regards to a tenant dieing and the safeguards their children then have (I'm referring here to adult children though).

As for fees 15% is standard in London if you use muliple agents to attempt to find you a tenant, but sole agency should allow you to bring that agent down to around 13-13.5%

Last but not least probably no need to go on Arla's website to find an agent but do go with an agent that are ARLA registered, but it should say so on their website.
Old Jun 26th 2010, 7:26 pm
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stuartsummers1980
None of the big players are out in TW14 so your best bet is to go on findaproperty.com, rightmove.co.uk or primelocation.com and see who has the best market presence in terms of number of properties. Its a safe bet to then go with one of them. If TW14 is where I think it is then there's going to be some seriously low flying aircraft around there, so you'll need a good agent!
I've identifed a few that seem to have a good presence in this area. Yes, it is close to the airport but we are kind of alongside the runway rather than at the end of it. There is a good demand for rentals in the area mostly because of the airport being close. Anywhere down this end of London seems to be affected by the airport. A couple of weeks ago I was at Windsor Castle and the aircraft noise was deafening. I don't know how the queen puts up with it

Once we've moved to Aus I'll be glad to live in a less busy area
Old Jun 28th 2010, 12:01 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by stuartsummers1980
This has proven to be a good exercise . It's revealed two estate agents with 20% coverage each and a third with 15%. No letting agents with more than 5%.

Will probably interview the three biggys.

Thanks for the tip
Old Jun 28th 2010, 1:25 pm
Banned

I've just stumbled across this, it could be useful to know:

Budget 2010: what capital gains tax means for expats
Old Jun 28th 2010, 10:44 pm
Forum Regular

spilko is a jewel in the roughspilko is a jewel in the roughspilko is a jewel in the roughspilko is a jewel in the rough

Hi everyone,

I'm due to move over to Newcastle, NSW in Jan/Feb 2010, assuming my visa comes through ok, and will probably rent out my place in London. I could ask friends or family to look after the place whilst I'm gone, but would prefer to put the burden on an Estate Agent even if it cost a few quid more.

Does anyone have any experience of using an estate agent to look after your interests whilst away, or do you find it requires a friend or family member to help out?

Thanks!
I have used IMS lettings for the last 2 years - no problems. They sort all the electric/gas safety certificates etc and handle all the utilities. I pay around 40 pound a month. This is less than 10%.

Make sure you are registered as an overseas landlord for tax purposes (NRL1) and make sure you let you Home Insurers and Mortgage provider know. Note that the NRL1 does not mean you do not pay tax (as stated by someone previously). Rather it means that the letting agent does not take tax out of the rental income before giving it to you. You may still have to pay tax depending on your UK income.
Old Jun 29th 2010, 8:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spilko
I have used IMS lettings for the last 2 years - no problems. They sort all the electric/gas safety certificates etc and handle all the utilities. I pay around 40 pound a month. This is less than 10%.

Make sure you are registered as an overseas landlord for tax purposes (NRL1) and make sure you let you Home Insurers and Mortgage provider know. Note that the NRL1 does not mean you do not pay tax (as stated by someone previously). Rather it means that the letting agent does not take tax out of the rental income before giving it to you. You may still have to pay tax depending on your UK income.
Thanks for the reminder.
Old Jul 1st 2010, 12:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

man_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to behold

Do you actually have an Irish accent? If so you might find it very persuasive in such situations. Make them an offer they cant refuse its often worked for me.
Old Jul 1st 2010, 6:48 pm
Forum Regular

MaCCCa is a jewel in the roughMaCCCa is a jewel in the roughMaCCCa is a jewel in the roughMaCCCa is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by spilko

So if I have no UK income and I am letting my house out while in Australia am I liable to pay some tax? Or none at all? My Mortgage is interest only and rental income after fees would mean I will break even (or perhaps gain £20)

Also should I continue my life insurance policy for that mortgage?
Old Jul 1st 2010, 7:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MaCCCa
So if I have no UK income and I am letting my house out while in Australia am I liable to pay some tax? Or none at all? My Mortgage is interest only and rental income after fees would mean I will break even (or perhaps gain £20)

You pay tax on profit, so if you have no profit the tax charge will be zero.

If you want your mortgage to be paid off in the event of your unfortunate and untimely demise, life insurance will come in handy.
Old Jul 1st 2010, 9:55 pm
Bright in Orange

Originally Posted by MaCCCa

Check that it will cover a non uk resident before you continue it

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.