Reload this Page >

Renting out UK property

Renting out UK property

Old Aug 25th 2011, 9:16 am
Forum Regular

tramway will become famous soon enoughtramway will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Renting out UK property

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
Assumin you are not on a temporary visa, your rental income and expenses should be declared on both tax returns. Any tax you end up paying in the UK will be offset against your Australian tax bill. So although you declare the income twice you will not be taxed twice on the same income.

You cannot choose where you pay tax, tax legislation will dictate it.
Thanks Bermudashorts, so think i have it now (we are permanent residents):

We HAVE to do returns for both countries
So on UK return we have to pay tax on anything left over after taking Tax FA, mrtg int, hse expenses into account??

So do we fair better overall paying the tax on hse in UK as we thought we would get hit with a huge bill here because of it on our Oz return?
How do we know about the tax legislation dictation?

See whats confusing us is that we thought we only had to do a return here and pay tax on our global income which doesn't appear to be the case??
Sorry for my dumbness
Old Aug 25th 2011, 10:51 am
On the Dark Side :-)

Mrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond repute

We've been in Australia for over 5 years now and have been renting our UK house out the entire time. We've left it in the capable hands of a trusted Agent and I can quite honestly say that I very rarely think about the place. The rent covers the mortgage and landlords insurance and thats pretty much all I care about. Not really sure what our long term plans are for it... but like I say, I don't really think about it at all
Old Aug 25th 2011, 1:30 pm
Just Joined

Sioban is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Mrs Jackaroo
We've been in Australia for over 5 years now and have been renting our UK house out the entire time. We've left it in the capable hands of a trusted Agent and I can quite honestly say that I very rarely think about the place. The rent covers the mortgage and landlords insurance and thats pretty much all I care about. Not really sure what our long term plans are for it... but like I say, I don't really think about it at all

This is so, so the position I want to be in! Just need to find a "trusted Agent" who can do their job well!
Old Aug 25th 2011, 2:49 pm
Forum Regular

shouldistayorgo is just really niceshouldistayorgo is just really niceshouldistayorgo is just really niceshouldistayorgo is just really niceshouldistayorgo is just really niceshouldistayorgo is just really niceshouldistayorgo is just really niceshouldistayorgo is just really niceshouldistayorgo is just really nice

Hiya,

We were lucky enought to not have mortgage when we left London. I asked a mate who is a builder to visit the property 4 times a year and also to do any repairs when needed.

I then got a local estate agent to find tenants and rent out the house.

They take 10%. If I did mot have my builder mate they would charge 18% to collect rent and manage repairs etc.

The builder mate I pay £150 per visit plus any repairs on top. No mate rates there but it seems to work very well.

Accountant then deals with uk tax returns. send him estate agent statement every month via email. Told us we should not have too much of a tax bill if anything at all but do declare it...taxman always gets you in the end.

Before we left I had electrics checked and repaired where necessary. Gas was checked and certificates got. I put in new oven , new fridge , new dishwasher, decorated house and retiled bathroom. Don't forget landlords insurance.

In all spent about 6-7k before we left . We completely emptied house of all personal stuff. Must have visited charity shop 20-30 times and the tip 15 times. Did good bit of decorating ourselves.
Old Aug 25th 2011, 11:35 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tramway

So on UK return we have to pay tax on anything left over after taking Tax FA, mrtg int, hse expenses into account??

So do we fair better overall paying the tax on hse in UK as we thought we would get hit with a huge bill here because of it on our Oz return?
There is no "tax legislation dictation".

It's really simple. As a PR/citizen living in Australia, you ALWAYS have to file an Australian return including the income.

You probably won't have any UK tax to pay, but if you do, you offset it against the Australian tax.

You possibly need a good tax accountant to help you work it all out.

And by the way, it won't be a "huge bill" as you put it, at most it will be around 45% of the profit you make and only then if you earn enough to pay the top rate of tax. That is not all that unreasonable when set against the benefits of being part of the Australian community and having access to the health, education, social and other services offered in Australia.
Old Aug 25th 2011, 11:42 pm
Possum. Amiculum. Latrina

Turban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
There is no "tax legislation dictation".

It's really simple. As a PR/citizen living in Australia, you ALWAYS have to file an Australian return including the income.

You probably won't have any UK tax to pay, but if you do, you offset it against the Australian tax.

You possibly need a good tax accountant to help you work it all out.

And by the way, it won't be a "huge bill" as you put it, at most it will be around 45% of the profit you make and only then if you earn enough to pay the top rate of tax. That is not all that unreasonable when set against the benefits of being part of the Australian community and having access to the health, education, social and other services offered in Australia.
Old Aug 26th 2011, 3:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

I am not sure what you mean by "Tax FA" but you put your income nad expenses on the UK tax return and would pay tax on anything exceeding your personal allowance.

It is irrelevant whether you "fare better", you cannot chose. The double tax treaty between Australia and UK is where you find the details as to what it paid where, but it is not recommended reading

You probably will end up paying Australian tax on it, because unless you have a very high rental income and a very low mortgage, you probably won't exceed your UK tax allowance, especially if the property is in two names, in which case recenue and expenses are split and there are two allowances to absorb. In this case the Australian one kicks in.

Last edited by Bermudashorts; Aug 26th 2011 at 5:18 am.
Old Aug 26th 2011, 5:13 am
BE Enthusiast

In Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Turban Explorer
seconded.

"its the price to pay for living in paradise" - give me a break.
Old Aug 29th 2011, 11:54 am
Forum Regular

hobbis is just really nicehobbis is just really nicehobbis is just really nicehobbis is just really nicehobbis is just really nicehobbis is just really nicehobbis is just really nicehobbis is just really nicehobbis is just really nice

Anyone know a good landlord specific insurance company
Old Aug 29th 2011, 5:22 pm
Forum Regular

Lois1 is just really niceLois1 is just really niceLois1 is just really niceLois1 is just really niceLois1 is just really niceLois1 is just really niceLois1 is just really niceLois1 is just really nice

We plan to do the same and rent out UK property and therefore rent in Oz.

My question is, for tax purposes, once we have deducted mortgage, agency fees, wear & tear, insurance etc from the rental income, can we also then offset our Oz rental fees against it??

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but i'm not that finincially minded (as you have probably gathered!)

Thanks
Old Aug 29th 2011, 7:16 pm
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lois1
We plan to do the same and rent out UK property and therefore rent in Oz.

My question is, for tax purposes, once we have deducted mortgage, agency fees, wear & tear, insurance etc from the rental income, can we also then offset our Oz rental fees against it??

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but i'm not that finincially minded (as you have probably gathered!)

Thanks
No you cannot offset your Oz rental fees. Note you can only offset your UK mortgage interest and not the repayment part.
Old Aug 29th 2011, 9:22 pm
Forum Regular

hobbis is just really nicehobbis is just really nicehobbis is just really nicehobbis is just really nicehobbis is just really nicehobbis is just really nicehobbis is just really nicehobbis is just really nicehobbis is just really nice

Posts here say that you need a really good accountant she you have Uk rental income - how do you go about finding one? would appreciate help.
Old Aug 29th 2011, 9:52 pm
On the Dark Side :-)

Mrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sioban
This is so, so the position I want to be in! Just need to find a "trusted Agent" who can do their job well!
Yep its pretty good - but it didn't start out so well - changed agents once after it was apparent they were only interested in helping themselves rather than us, and taking advantage of us being on the other side of the world. Thankfully we only had the first ones for about 12 months and since then all has been awesome!
Old Aug 29th 2011, 10:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

What is your exit strategy?

This question for the OP and anyone else who is considering renting.

(Ours, if you're interested, is buy and hold.)
Old Aug 29th 2011, 10:42 pm
Possum. Amiculum. Latrina

Turban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ozzidoc
What is your exit strategy?

This question for the OP and anyone else who is considering renting.

(Ours, if you're interested, is buy and hold.)
I intend to sell my 2 buy to let properties and keep my Islington house before we get PR here. The house, we'll probably live in again at some stage.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.