Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Renting out UK home - advice please!

Renting out UK home - advice please!

Old Jun 28th 2010, 7:16 pm
Forum Regular

MaCCCa is a jewel in the roughMaCCCa is a jewel in the roughMaCCCa is a jewel in the roughMaCCCa is a jewel in the rough
Default Renting out UK home - advice please!

Well with 4 months til we fly to Melbs we have still had no luck in selling our house - even dropping the price to as low as we can! Grrrr So it's looking like our only option is renting the damn thing out!

We have no equity in the house and was selling it to pay off the mortgage and be debt free and skint when we touch down in Melbourne. The lack of sale has thrown a spanner in! We can't change our fly date as we have to enter Oz by 11th November - so Renting it shall be!

Can anyone advise any potential problems that may occur if I do this? We don't plan on buying in Australia for 2 - 4 years, the rental from our house will just cover the intrest only mortgage payments so we won't make anything from it. (The bank said we could let it out without changing our mortgage) Where do I stand with buying in Oz - do I have to sell my UK house first? How difficult is it selling a house from 12,000 miles away? Is there anything I need to pay for while in Oz? (GST or the like?)

It's all new to me and renting was our nightmare scenario so something we didnt want to think aboout. Unless a miricle happens over the next 4 months we will be living that nightmare!

Any advice greatly appreciated!
Old Jun 28th 2010, 8:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

joho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Renting out UK home - advice please!

We rented our house out for the 1st year we were here, we had a friend rent it from us and never used a landlord or such. We still got insurance and all the checks done though. It was a bit tricky selling whilst in Aus but not to bad, few issues with buyers etc and leave at least 2 weeks between exchange and completion, we had a mad panic as we wanted a week but didnt realise that we had to sign and return origitnal documents (faxed over but orignal sig back) before the competion, we had to courier and only just made it.

There are tax implications if you own 2 houses and sell one if any profit.

Certainly worth considering if you really want to come.

Jo
Old Jun 28th 2010, 9:41 pm
Forum Regular

MaCCCa is a jewel in the roughMaCCCa is a jewel in the roughMaCCCa is a jewel in the roughMaCCCa is a jewel in the rough

Well we defo comeing as the flights are booked and visas all sorted!

So would I be able to buy a house in australia while owning one in the UK? Or would I need to earn a lot as effectively I would have 2 mortgages?
Old Jun 28th 2010, 11:32 pm
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MaCCCa

So would I be able to buy a house in australia while owning one in the UK? Or would I need to earn a lot as effectively I would have 2 mortgages?
OK, I am out here on a 457 Temp Visa so for us renting out was the sensible option until we decide what our future is/was.
Few things I can remember:
You - Pay your mortgage regularly and ensure you transfer money to your UK account every month if you need to top up your rent (use Tranzfers, very easy). USE AN AGENT!!! Do not try and do 'mates rates' or as a favour, it never works and could lose your friends. An agent will do all the legal stuff for you and sort out checks against potential lettees etc but try and research a good agent, usual fee is 10% of rent. Also, note your bank stance, but, you may have to sign something confirming that you are renting out and that they, as the mortgage provider, are happy for that and this may cost a small fee, ours was 150 quid with Northern Rock. If your mortgage changes during your time here they may increase the rate as it is now considered 'an investment'. Also, you can fill in a form, the agent will know which one, so that as a non domiciled home owner you will not have to pay tax on your rental income.
You - can buy a house here no problem once you have settled and know which area you are going to buy in, there is no link whatsoever with UK finance here so you could be a bankrupt or IVA person in UK and still get full credit and loans here in Oz. You have to put down 20% deposit generally but like all things there are ways around it. Bearing in mind you have no equity in your UK house, if you are here on a permanent visa then I would definately reccomend it. BE CAREFUL - if you suddenly lose your lettee, could you afford to still pay your UK mortgage and Oz mortgage or rent for that matter??? Check your finances and have a contingency plan to be able to cover the UK rental short term, if its long term then your UK rent is too high and sort it out with your agent. Best to have something coming in than nothing at all!!
Your agent - be communicative, you are only an email away or even phone call in an emergency so ensure they keep you appraised of any issues and if any money needs to be spent that they check with you first!! If you have a really good neighbour or family friend who is good at house maintainence, ask them to be your nominated first call for 'when things go wrong' in your house. Get house only insurance, very important!! Let the lettees get contents only insurance.
So, 3 most important?
Get agent.
Plan your finances for all eventualities.
If here on PR, then buy in Oz using 20% deposit (or agreed sum/bond).
Old Jun 29th 2010, 12:23 am
'Made in Ulster' Member

Location: Brisbane, QLD. (Though an Ulster girl through and through!)
Jen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond repute

Some of the posts amongst this thread might prove useful:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=639496
Old Jun 29th 2010, 7:20 am
Forum Regular

Thanks Paddyo great advice! Put my mind at rest! We have a letting agent coming round this afternoon for a chat etc - the bank have said we could let it out on our interest only mortgage.

Thanks for the link Jen!
Old Jun 29th 2010, 7:39 am
Forum Regular

Oh BTW - as well as the management fee and buildings insurance are there any other fees I need to be aware of? I presume we would still need life insurance for that property?
Old Jun 29th 2010, 7:45 am
'Made in Ulster' Member

Location: Brisbane, QLD. (Though an Ulster girl through and through!)
Jen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond repute

Oh BTW - as well as the management fee and buildings insurance are there any other fees I need to be aware of? I presume we would still need life insurance for that property?
I kept mine running with Scottish Provident yes...just let them know you're moving...
Old Jun 29th 2010, 9:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paddyo
OK, I am out here on a 457 Temp Visa so for us renting out was the sensible option until we decide what our future is/was.
Few things I can remember:
You - Pay your mortgage regularly and ensure you transfer money to your UK account every month if you need to top up your rent (use Tranzfers, very easy). USE AN AGENT!!! Do not try and do 'mates rates' or as a favour, it never works and could lose your friends. An agent will do all the legal stuff for you and sort out checks against potential lettees etc but try and research a good agent, usual fee is 10% of rent. Also, note your bank stance, but, you may have to sign something confirming that you are renting out and that they, as the mortgage provider, are happy for that and this may cost a small fee, ours was 150 quid with Northern Rock. If your mortgage changes during your time here they may increase the rate as it is now considered 'an investment'. Also, you can fill in a form, the agent will know which one, so that as a non domiciled home owner you will not have to pay tax on your rental income.
You - can buy a house here no problem once you have settled and know which area you are going to buy in, there is no link whatsoever with UK finance here so you could be a bankrupt or IVA person in UK and still get full credit and loans here in Oz. You have to put down 20% deposit generally but like all things there are ways around it. Bearing in mind you have no equity in your UK house, if you are here on a permanent visa then I would definately reccomend it. BE CAREFUL - if you suddenly lose your lettee, could you afford to still pay your UK mortgage and Oz mortgage or rent for that matter??? Check your finances and have a contingency plan to be able to cover the UK rental short term, if its long term then your UK rent is too high and sort it out with your agent. Best to have something coming in than nothing at all!!
Your agent - be communicative, you are only an email away or even phone call in an emergency so ensure they keep you appraised of any issues and if any money needs to be spent that they check with you first!! If you have a really good neighbour or family friend who is good at house maintainence, ask them to be your nominated first call for 'when things go wrong' in your house. Get house only insurance, very important!! Let the lettees get contents only insurance.
So, 3 most important?
Get agent.
Plan your finances for all eventualities.
If here on PR, then buy in Oz using 20% deposit (or agreed sum/bond).
Good post.
Old Jun 29th 2010, 9:18 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

2 mortgages? Is that a good investment strategy?

There is a wiki discussion:
http://britishexpats.com/wiki/House_in_UK-Keep_or_Sell
Old Jun 29th 2010, 9:20 am
Pie Eater

coolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by paddyo
An agent will do all the legal stuff for you and sort out checks against potential lettees etc but try and research a good agent, usual fee is 10% of rent.
+ VAT on it.

eg. £500 rent = £50 @ 10% + £8.75 VAT @ 17.5% = £58.75 agency fee
& from Jan > £500 rent = £50 @ 10% + £10 VAT @ 20% = £60 agency fee (making it more like 12%)

Also they will likely charge a 'new agreement' fee every time a new lease is signed (approx 50% of a months rent, or less for renewal).

Last edited by coolshadows; Jun 29th 2010 at 9:30 am.
Old Jun 29th 2010, 9:27 am
Pie Eater

coolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud of

I presume we would still need life insurance for that property?
You'll unlikely need life insurance if you are switching to a 'buy-to-let' mortgage. (just check the terms of your mortgage)
Old Jun 29th 2010, 9:30 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by JAJ
2 mortgages? Is that a good investment strategy?

There is a wiki discussion:
http://britishexpats.com/wiki/House_in_UK-Keep_or_Sell
We would not buy in Oz while having our UK property, To be fair I'd rather have rid of the UK property but it just isn't selling and other than dropping the keys off at the bank we don't have any other option!
Old Jun 29th 2010, 9:32 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by coolshadows
You'll unlikely need life insurance if you are switching to a 'buy-to-let' mortgage. (just check the terms of your mortgage)
We wouldn't be switching - we would be just on our interest only until such time as we are able to sell.
Old Jun 29th 2010, 9:36 am
Forum Regular

eeksy will become famous soon enougheeksy will become famous soon enough

Make sure you get mallicious damage by a tenant cover on your insurance policy. A standard policy covers nothing if a tenant damages your property.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.