Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Renting out house in UK & then selling from Oz?

Renting out house in UK & then selling from Oz?

Old Jul 13th 2005, 11:14 am
Scootascum member.

scooterpom will become famous soon enough
Question Renting out house in UK & then selling from Oz?

Hi all,

Just last week everything looked to be tickety-boo with our house sale - due to exchange contracts this week and complete 4 weeks later

Then on Monday we were told our buyers don't have one house to sell, they have two, and there may be a delay in one of the chains (so nice of them to tell us at this late stage, doncha think?) Someone in this process is being a lying scumbag, but I don't know who.

I have a job to go to in Adelaide and they've been very patient so far, but I don't reckon they'll wait another 3 months if it all falls through and we have to find another buyer, so we're going anyway.

Anyhow, if it does go all pear shaped, we are now considering renting our house out for a year or so and then selling it from Oz.

Has anyone had any experience of doing this? It seems like a total nightmare to sort out, but perhaps one of you good people could reassure me and tell me it's actually quite painless.

I have to say, the visa application process now seems like a pleasant walk in the park compared to the house sale!

Cheers all,

Scooterpom.

Old Jul 13th 2005, 11:40 am
BE Enthusiast

cantwait is a name known to allcantwait is a name known to allcantwait is a name known to allcantwait is a name known to allcantwait is a name known to allcantwait is a name known to allcantwait is a name known to allcantwait is a name known to allcantwait is a name known to allcantwait is a name known to allcantwait is a name known to all
Default Re: Renting out house in UK & then selling from Oz?

Originally Posted by scooterpom
Hi all,

Just last week everything looked to be tickety-boo with our house sale - due to exchange contracts this week and complete 4 weeks later

Then on Monday we were told our buyers don't have one house to sell, they have two, and there may be a delay in one of the chains (so nice of them to tell us at this late stage, doncha think?) Someone in this process is being a lying scumbag, but I don't know who.

I have a job to go to in Adelaide and they've been very patient so far, but I don't reckon they'll wait another 3 months if it all falls through and we have to find another buyer, so we're going anyway.

Anyhow, if it does go all pear shaped, we are now considering renting our house out for a year or so and then selling it from Oz.

Has anyone had any experience of doing this? It seems like a total nightmare to sort out, but perhaps one of you good people could reassure me and tell me it's actually quite painless.

I have to say, the visa application process now seems like a pleasant walk in the park compared to the house sale!

Cheers all,

Scooterpom.

Good luck, what a real bummer eh! we are trying to sell our house but no luck yet, i hope it all works out for you best of luck.
Old Jul 13th 2005, 11:52 am
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute

You need to

- Tell your mortgage company
- Tell your insurance company (buildings)
- Get tax advice, you will pay Aussie Income tax on the income ,but you deduct mortgage payments etc. So it works out ok usually, sort that out when you get here.
- You need to transfer money from UK To Aus regularly (your profits) Use these guys thy're good and they get me an ipod if enough people use my referral for giving them such good advice ;-) http://www.tranzfers.com/refer.asp?r=ijcollins , register with them from UK before you leave its much much much easier. Ive used them about 20times and they're realy really quick/reputable/good/safe , all transactions are online so its easy to do.

- Appoint a managing agent, better to pay them 10% than be on phone trying to sort out aplumber at 1am
- Let the agent rent the place
- Dont rent to friends - nightmare scenarios applenty
- Consider the impact on re-selling the house, tenants dont do you any favours
- Get online banking before you come here for UK bank accounts so you can manage it remotely
- You want to consider remortgaging it before you leave it to get equity out.

Good luck.
Old Jul 13th 2005, 11:55 am
Scootascum member.

scooterpom will become famous soon enough

Thanks for the info. I'm off to see a letting agent on Friday to see what the crack is. Hopefully I won't need to do it!

Cheers
Scooterpom.
Old Jul 13th 2005, 11:59 am

Smiffy's Lot has a spectacular aura aboutSmiffy's Lot has a spectacular aura aboutSmiffy's Lot has a spectacular aura about

Hi Scooterpom

Agree the Visa 'bit' was a walk in park [as if that wasn't stressful enough]
Our house sold easily enough too, too good to be true. Our search shows we are a low level of contaminated land which the borough knew about but only notified a handful of residents. Now we are totally held up with either we have a soil test done at out expence [£3,000] or do we rent and go? The council's budget will not be carrying out these test till April 06. Still mid negotiation with out buyer. if remeadial work is required again at our cost we could be here forever!
Let us know how you get on if you go the renting route. Keep ya chin up.