Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Sydney - places to stay, ease of travel and any helpful info

Sydney - places to stay, ease of travel and any helpful info

Old Mar 13th 2018, 9:56 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute
Question Sydney - places to stay, ease of travel and any helpful info

So I'm coming to Sydney in mid-April for a few days, other than transitting through the airport I have never visited the city before. Unfortunately this isn't a pleasure trip and I'm slightly stressed about the whole thing. Normally I'm fine about travelling on my own but then I'm not usually looking to have surgery in another country.

So to cut a long and boring story short, I am coming to Sydney to see a surgeon about removing my hernia mesh. I can't find anyone I trust enough to do this surgery in NZ. I haven't found any surgeons here who think that mesh isn't safe for hernia repair. Thankfully some recommendations came in for this guy in Sydney CBD.
His office is in the CBD but he will likely be operating on me at The Sydney Private Hospital, Ashfield.
I'm looking for good places to stay for approximately 5 nights whilst I undergo tests prior to surgery. I hope to manage a little tourist stuff whilst there but walking can be painful, so some local knowledge of transport links would be useful.

I have friends down in Wollongong that will put me up post-op, are there trains from Sydney to there? Obviously concerned about travelling with a suitcase on public transport after surgery.

Travelling doesn't normally bother me and neither do operations but this particular surgery is risky and my emotions are all over the place. I'm really not thinking straight.

This is rather garbled, so apologies for that. Any suggestions, tips gratefully received thanks.
Old Mar 13th 2018, 10:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sydney - places to stay, ease of travel and any helpful info

Originally Posted by Vitalstatistix
So I'm coming to Sydney in mid-April for a few days, other than transitting through the airport I have never visited the city before. Unfortunately this isn't a pleasure trip and I'm slightly stressed about the whole thing. Normally I'm fine about travelling on my own but then I'm not usually looking to have surgery in another country.

So to cut a long and boring story short, I am coming to Sydney to see a surgeon about removing my hernia mesh. I can't find anyone I trust enough to do this surgery in NZ. I haven't found any surgeons here who think that mesh isn't safe for hernia repair. Thankfully some recommendations came in for this guy in Sydney CBD.
His office is in the CBD but he will likely be operating on me at The Sydney Private Hospital, Ashfield.
I'm looking for good places to stay for approximately 5 nights whilst I undergo tests prior to surgery. I hope to manage a little tourist stuff whilst there but walking can be painful, so some local knowledge of transport links would be useful.

I have friends down in Wollongong that will put me up post-op, are there trains from Sydney to there? Obviously concerned about travelling with a suitcase on public transport after surgery.

Travelling doesn't normally bother me and neither do operations but this particular surgery is risky and my emotions are all over the place. I'm really not thinking straight.

This is rather garbled, so apologies for that. Any suggestions, tips gratefully received thanks.
Train to Wollongong is from Central and is also easy access to Ashfield and city by public transport. Train from airport too. (Never done the train to airport - just do cabs.). Maybe stay around there. Not the top of the picks but given your varied locations, it might be the most convenient.

Plenty of hotels and Chinese food.
Old Mar 13th 2018, 10:54 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

I'd agree with Beoz. Stay in the Central Station area - that way you will have easy access to everywhere by train. You can get into the CBD, travel west to Ashfield and south to Wollongong without any hassle. Plus easy travel towards the Quay for the harbour or ferries if you feel like a little sight seeing. Get yourself an Opal Card and you can go anywhere on it without having to buy individual tickets for each journey. https://www.opal.com.au/en/about-opa..._for_visitors/

Travelling by train post-op with a heavy suitcase might be a little risky, though easier if your suitcase has wheels. Depending on how long since your op, maybe think about getting a cab or uber to get yourself to Wollongong? Or maybe the hospital can help you arrange transport there with assistance for your luggage.
Old Mar 13th 2018, 12:56 pm
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

Loads of hotels around Central but I would say stay north of it. Not only is there a mess of roadworks around there but also a lot of "interesting" people. (I work 120m from the Devonshire exit of Central.) I don't know your budget but as a charity we put people up in the Travelodge on Wentworth, I've previously booked the Metro Hotel Marlowe (but around 5 years since I put people there), and we also sometimes use 57 Hotel on Foveaux St - mainly because it's the closest to the office.

For 5 nights I might be tempted to get a serviced apartment TBH, maybe around Darling Harbour, Town Hall or Hyde Park. Is the surgeon on Macquarie St - they often are. If so, Hyde Park would be very handy. With a slightly better budget you could also look at the hotels in the shopping district, with easy access to Town Hall (one stop from Central) and still close to Mac St.

As somebody with arm/shoulder problems, if I'm travelling alone I try to take two smaller wheeled cases. Don't be afraid to ask for help.

Best of luck with the op.
Old Mar 14th 2018, 9:32 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Fantastic you've found someone here to do it, slightly easier than having to fly to the US! Really hope it's an easy op for him and all your problems are fixed.
Old Mar 14th 2018, 8:37 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you all for the useful information, much appreciated. So I went to Flight Centre yesterday to sort out flights and accommodation. I was going to do it myself online but I'm glad I didn't in the end.
I had planned to return home on 29th April, after having a post-op review on the 27th. However, the travel agent informed me that some airlines have a policy of not allowing a person to fly for so many days post-op. I thought I would be okay with the time I'd allowed, I mean it's not open heart surgery. Anyway I understand why they do it but in my current fragile state I didn't take this too well . So Air NZ need you to be 10 days post-op and various forms filled in by the surgeon and emailed to them.

Cue, frantic phone call to the surgeon's secretary to find out if the surgery will be 'open' or laprascopic - it's open! The travel agent insisted I use their phone . Whilst also messaging my friend in Wollongong to see if she can cope with me staying with them longer than anticipated . Very bravely they've agreed as long as I bring loads of Whittaker's chocolate .

Yes Kooky, the surgeon is on Macquarie Street and so is my hotel now! Came up with a good price for B & B. I did look at places nearer Central Station but the place I liked was coming in at over $2k for 5 nights. I shall probably get a taxi to the hospital on the morning of surgery as I expect to be a nervous wreck. I'm normally quite happy about going for surgery and enjoy a good GA, but this mesh thing has knocked me off balance.

Nicky, my friend knows a great Uber driver so that's looking like a good option.
Beoz......Chinese food, something to look forward to. Never found a decent Chinese in NZ and I miss it. The op and costs are almost worthwhile now .

Thanks for the good wishes and your helpful suggestions.
Just a thought, wondering if I should get an Aussie Sim card for the duration of my stay, thoughts? Roaming costs from NZ are extortionate.
Old Mar 14th 2018, 8:41 pm
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

Definitely pick up a SIM landside at the airport. Roaming round a strange town knowing you can look things up on your phone is always handy.
Old Mar 14th 2018, 8:42 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Fantastic you've found someone here to do it, slightly easier than having to fly to the US! Really hope it's an easy op for him and all your problems are fixed.
Thanks love, such a relief. I wasn't keen on going to the US. I was looking at going to the UK, there's a guy called David Nott who does hernia mesh removal. So to find Dr Garvey in Australia is great. Just wish there was someone in NZ trained to do this. They can all put the £€@*!% stuff in quick smart, they just haven't been trained how to remove it
Old Mar 15th 2018, 9:52 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks love, such a relief. I wasn't keen on going to the US. I was looking at going to the UK, there's a guy called David Nott who does hernia mesh removal. So to find Dr Garvey in Australia is great. Just wish there was someone in NZ trained to do this. They can all put the £€@*!% stuff in quick smart, they just haven't been trained how to remove it
So happy that you've found a good surgeon VS. Re the 10 days post surgery travel, sounds like a 'one rule fits all' thing. if your surgeon's happy to certify you as fit for air travel earlier then would you have to even mention your op to the airline?

You'd probably still want a 'fit to fly' certificate/letter from the surgeon though - not for the airline, but for your travel insurer just in case you need to make a claim. Which you won't because you've done your homework, found a great surgeon, a place to stay and all your duckies are lined up nice and straight

When you're up to it do let us know how you are, wishing you the best of British, Aussie and Kiwi!
Old Mar 15th 2018, 12:00 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Best of luck with the surgery. I think you'll be glad for the 10 days of recovery time to be honest. If you're feeling well you can do some touring around Sydney (gently, though!) but still be close to a place where you can rest and heal from your surgery.
Old Mar 15th 2018, 12:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

I've never heard of this Hernia Mesh issue until this thread.

I've had mine in for about 15 years now, maybe I should read up on it.

Didn't even give it a thought or an acknowledgment till this came up. Never even felt it in my body.

Maybe I'll just forget it. LOL.

Has there been anything in the news in Aussie re this procedure.. Looks like it's a major issue in the UK.

Maybe it's done differently here or maybe I've been lucky?

I'll chat to my Co Workers tonight to see if they've heard anything.

I honestly thought it was a cosmetic procedure for some unknown reason when I first saw the thread. Now I'm quite incredulous.

Should I be worried...... probably not after 15 years I guess.

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Mar 15th 2018 at 12:11 pm.
Old Mar 15th 2018, 2:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Whoops looks like its predominately a womans issue.
Old Mar 16th 2018, 10:20 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
So happy that you've found a good surgeon VS. Re the 10 days post surgery travel, sounds like a 'one rule fits all' thing. if your surgeon's happy to certify you as fit for air travel earlier then would you have to even mention your op to the airline?

You'd probably still want a 'fit to fly' certificate/letter from the surgeon though - not for the airline, but for your travel insurer just in case you need to make a claim. Which you won't because you've done your homework, found a great surgeon, a place to stay and all your duckies are lined up nice and straight

When you're up to it do let us know how you are, wishing you the best of British, Aussie and Kiwi!
Thanks my sweet. All booked for me to fly home on 3rd May, op on the 23rd April. I'm assuming that the op will now be flagged on their system now. Air NZ have provided me with lots of paperwork for the surgeon to fill in prior to my departure. I'm at the stage of it being what it is.
I've got a lot of catching up with my friend to do anyway as I haven't seen her in ages. Her doggy Nurse Sam(antha) is gearing up to take care of me. I'm hoping that Sam remembers me. She'll definitely help my recuperation.
I shall keep you posted with all the gory details
Old Mar 16th 2018, 10:27 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Best of luck with the surgery. I think you'll be glad for the 10 days of recovery time to be honest. If you're feeling well you can do some touring around Sydney (gently, though!) but still be close to a place where you can rest and heal from your surgery.
I guess so. I'll just be missing the other half like crazy. We can't afford for him to come too and he hasn't got the annual leave available.
Thanks for the good wishes Dorothy, very grateful for your help in finding this guy. To get another recommendation for him from the wife of a guy who had just had hernia mesh removed by this surgeon on the same day really helped my decision-making process.

I'm hoping that I'll get my life back after this surgery .
Old Mar 16th 2018, 10:44 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
I've never heard of this Hernia Mesh issue until this thread.

I've had mine in for about 15 years now, maybe I should read up on it.

Didn't even give it a thought or an acknowledgment till this came up. Never even felt it in my body.

Maybe I'll just forget it. LOL.

Has there been anything in the news in Aussie re this procedure.. Looks like it's a major issue in the UK.

Maybe it's done differently here or maybe I've been lucky?

I'll chat to my Co Workers tonight to see if they've heard anything.

I honestly thought it was a cosmetic procedure for some unknown reason when I first saw the thread. Now I'm quite incredulous.

Should I be worried...... probably not after 15 years I guess.
It's a major issue around the world. It may seem like a mainly female issue due to the use of mesh in prolapse, incontinence and post-childbirth issues, however there are a significant number of men who are suffering with mesh complications. Their pain and problems are no less than the women suffering this. This stuff can migrate throughout the body, small pieces breaking off and getting into lung tissue etc. It can erode through nerves and other tissues and the list of complications go on.
This stuff wasn't properly tested in human trials. It's interesting that the subject of polypropylene use in water bottles has prompted the WHO to call for safety reviews but implanting polypropylene into our bodies is considered perfectly safe.

The fact that it's affecting many women, means that we are been dismissed as being hysterical and that the pain is all in our heads.

I've heard of folk having the stuff in for 18 years before having serious problems with it, so yes I would be concerned and remain vigilant for any sudden deterioration in your health. Some people have an instant reaction, others it come on more gradually. Certainly some people may never react to it.
There are people in Australia and NZ fighting the use of mesh. It's just starting to gather some momentum now with more litigation in the US against the manufacturers of mesh.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.