Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Renting with no income

Renting with no income

Old Aug 30th 2002, 2:20 pm
Forum Regular

kango_jack will become famous soon enoughkango_jack will become famous soon enough
Question Renting with no income

Hi
Something that has been puzzling me for a while is, can you rent in Australia even if you have no regular income to start with?
We have never rented before and I understand that you will pay a bond to begin with, but will they ask for references as well.
When arrive in Australia neither of us will have jobs straight away, we were hoping to stay with family for the first couple of weeks and then rent somewhere.
We will be taking a significant amount of money with us (ie >£100k) however without an employers reference to say we have a regular income will rental companies let us enter into a rental agreement?
Sorry if this is really obvious, but anybodies thoughts would be much appreciated.
Annie
Old Aug 30th 2002, 3:04 pm
ndaltonb

Default Re: Renting with no income

Hi Kango,

I've got a similar problem but I've been told that once you product a bank statement that shows £100k in the bank there may not be a problem. They may (probably) as for a larger bond.

You may ask you Aus bank manager for a reference or at least for him to say that you are liquid

Nigel db

Originally posted by kango_jack:
Hi
Something that has been puzzling me for a while is, can you rent in Australia even if you have no regular income to start with?
We have never rented before and I understand that you will pay a bond to begin with, but will they ask for references as well.
When arrive in Australia neither of us will have jobs straight away, we were hoping to stay with family for the first couple of weeks and then rent somewhere.
We will be taking a significant amount of money with us (ie >£100k) however without an employers reference to say we have a regular income will rental companies let us enter into a rental agreement?
Sorry if this is really obvious, but anybodies thoughts would be much appreciated.
Annie

Old Aug 30th 2002, 8:27 pm
Emmy & Phil

We are renting in NZ, Phil has only just started looking for work (only been here 3
weeks), they didn't even ask us to prove we had the money to pay the rent. We had to
pay two weeks bond and that was that, As for references we just said we knew no one
in NZ, we said i could give them 50 in the UK, so they didn't bother with either.
Hope this helps.

Emily

"kango_jack" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Hi Something that has been puzzling me for a while is, can you rent in Australia
    > even if you have no regular income to start with? We have never rented before and I
    > understand that you will pay a bond to begin with, but will they ask for references
    > as well. When arrive in Australia neither of us will have jobs straight away, we
    > were hoping to stay with family for the first couple of weeks and then rent
    > somewhere. We will be taking a significant amount of money with us (ie >£100k)
    > however without an employers reference to say we have a regular income will rental
    > companies let us enter into a rental agreement? Sorry if this is really obvious,
    > but anybodies thoughts would be much appreciated. Annie
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old Aug 30th 2002, 9:14 pm
Forum Regular

bevo is an unknown quantity at this point

Just a thought, but we have gathered a few character and work references and also take a couple of latest utility/mortgage bills to show that you keep payments upto date. Worth taking just in case.

Keri